Is IU's Strawberry Moon that good?

• Did you like Strawberry Moon? 53

1. Yes, it was great. (20) 38%
    2. It was ok. (16) 30%
    3. Not much. (17) 32%

I might regret this thread later when I end up liking the song more lmao but for now... i was kinda surprised at the ratio of people who loved the track (the great majority) and those who didn't.

I love IU music but I found this release super bland and forgetable. I get that the intention was to for it to be an easy-going song, but still, there are ways on how to make that happen. I mean, it is not a bad song, it's likeable to a point...but is it that great? :eyes:

All in all, it makes me wonder, is people being biased because IU is after all an adorable queen for many? Or is it really that my taste (which often aligns with the majority) was just different this time?

This brings me to another topic, would you straight out say that you don't like a song if it comes from your favourite artist/band?

Anyway, discuss and don't be too mean because I'm not doing it with bad intentions ;(

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• most of her songs are bland. BUt at this point she is the taylor swift of korea and anything she puts out charts well

well it's an IU type of song if you like her song usually you'll like this one

but i prefer her more upbeat songs like Bibibi, Lilac, good day etc...

i don't think her songs are bland, in fact I love maaaany of her songs and she can be quite versatile, that's why I was kind of taken aback with this one

that she was going to top the charts was a given tho lmao

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i don't think her songs are bland, in fact I love maaaany of her songs and she can be quite versatile, that's why I was kind of taken aback with this one

that she was going to top the charts was a given tho lmao

well i don't find her song bland

but i can't say i was taken aback by this song, because it kinda sound like the usual IU sound to me

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• TBH I was being nice in the other thread so I wouldn't get run over by barraging fans. The song is nice enough & shows off her vocals a bit like some of her older songs, but I agree, much blander & a lot more forgettable than I was expecting from her most recent diverse singles which were all hard-hitters. XD; I do like the MV tho, very pink.

It depends on what the atmosphere is like in the forum, I guess? If everyone was in a BTS-bashing mood I would probs try to refrain from saying negative stuff to avoid other people parroting me & throwing my words back in my/other ARMYs' face. But if it was just a neutral or positive mood towards BTS I might feel free to give some constructive criticism in the name of being honest. :-)

• My least fav song of her tbh, it just doesn’t evolve like in Lilac or Celebrity. It stays the same throughout the song. Maybe if you understand Korean it would change

• Well, people have different tastes. Personally I feel the same as you, I find the song cute but not really memorable. There are several songs from Lilac album that I like a lot but this new song will not be among my fav 2021 releases from her.

Maybe it will grow on me, I will probably try to listen to it once again.

• It seems like pretty standard IU stuff to me, which for the most part always leaves me a bit cold and I never quite know why. There are a few stand out songs by her that I think are better than average but this falls fully into the meh category for me. I wouldn’t switch it off it it came on or anything, but I don’t have the urge to listen to it again.

• Personally, I don't think it is that good compared to her previous release from this year like Celebrity & Lilac, Coin. The chorus is forgettable for me too, but it will definitely top the chart since IU is like an established brand. whenever the public knows she will release a new song, they will try to listen to it

• I've mentioned before that a portion of international fans adulation for her seems to stem from her chart success and she never fails in that regard. I feel like she has a lot of token fans in the international scene (AKP has a bunch) that like attaching themselves to her success so they can parade it around.

Her new song is very inoffensive so not surprising there's not many detractors but she's not held to the same criticisms as kpop groups.

• TBH I was being nice in the other thread so I wouldn't get run over by barraging fans. The song is nice enough & shows off her vocals a bit like some of her older songs, but I agree, much blander & a lot more forgettable than I was expecting. XD; I do like the MV tho, very pink.

It depends on what the atmosphere is like in the forum, I guess? If everyone was in a BTS-bashing mood I would probs try to refrain from saying negative stuff to avoid other people parroting me & throwing my words back in my/other ARMYs' face. But if it was just a neutral or positive mood towards BTS I might feel free to give some constructive criticism in the name of being honest. :-)

I get this! Especially when you love a group and there's already too much negativity you just don't want to fuel the fire. i always try to be honest tho, because there's nothing wrong with not liking everything your faves put out. There are ways of saying this, obviously. I always try to say something nice in exchange (for ex, I didn't like PTD, but i found it cute and i love the boys' smiles while perfoming it).

I've mentioned before that a portion of international fans adulation for her seems to stem from her chart success and she never fails in that regard. I feel like she has a lot of token fans in the international scene (AKP has a bunch) that like attaching themselves to her success so they can parade it around.

Her new song is very inoffensive so not surprising there's not many detractors but she's not held to the same criticisms as kpop groups.

that's an interesting point of view :melon_think: i will never understand success stans tho

i guess what i find strange might have to do with you last point. i think if any of my favourite groups were the ones releasing this song, users would be calling it a flop.

like...take RV's Queendom or Life Goes On by BTS. The number of people in this forum calling them safe and boring were overpowering but for Strawberry Moon everyone seemed to love it so I found the response quite surprising i guess.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!