NCT investigated: who are the top talents in each field?

• Recently I've been diving in the latest chain of NCT comebacks and performances of the past months, which was a fun journey.

While the entire NCT collective has increased with even more members added, I think I've gotten a picture of the individual members' talents and who stands out in each area.

These are my rankings from what I've seen so far:

Dance

1. Ten

2. Taeyong

3. Mark

4. Jisung

5. Shotaro

Dance was a hard one to pick, because NCT's filled to bursting with good dancers and their dance skills as a group are so much above average, I'd easily consider them Top 3 in dancing of the currently active groups (if not Top 1).

Rap

1. Mark

2. Taeyong

3. Sungchan

4. Lucas

5. Yangyang

The criticism that SM doesn't have solid rappers, I think they made up with that in 1 stroke with NCT, that has a whole bunch of great sounding rappers.

Vocals

1. Haechan

2. Taeil

3. Doyoung

4. Jaehyun

5. ?

Before, I would have said Taeil. But I noticed that the past year or more, it's Haechan who has been included in all kinda comebacks and gotten the role of main vocalist in those comebacks. So I'm just gonna assume that it's because he's the best vocalist that NCT has.

Stage presence

1. Taeyong

2. Johnny

3. Sungchan

4. Lucas

5. Mark

I found this the most difficult one because 1) stage presence is very subjective, linked to someone's personal preferences and likings and 2) practically most NCT members are filled with swagger, confidence and presence, making it very hard to pick. Taeyong is an obvious #1, he's a charisma powerhouse and a beast on stage - personally, I think he's the epitome and pinnacle of stage presence and prime example of it of all the 3rd gen groups. But when it comes to the other NCT members, the gap becomes a lot smaller.

Of course, those were my impressions after viewing a lot of NCT the past weeks, when it comes to ranking their top talents.

What do you think, agree or you'd rank NCT's top talents differently?

As an aside bonus, here's a performance I found a day ago, that I'd like to share:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Those vocals. So beautiful :omgr:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• There's no way Yangyang is ranked that low on the Rap rankings (lower than Lucas, really? And Lucas over Hendery?). I would put him on third place, hell, I can even get him tied with Taeyong at second. Taeyong raps well but his pronunciation is very hit or miss and he has this tendency of chewing his words (if you think of a Taeyong verse, you always know how he will deliver it without even hearing the song).

Yangyang, on the other hand, knows how to play with rhythm (you know how he is influenced by western rappers with his flow) with appropriate aggression and clear diction. He, along with Mark, is the most technically skilled rappers in NCT. (See exhibit A: Leonidas)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He's even breezing Korean rap even if it's his third/fourth language. (See exhibit B: Him taking over Taeyong's rap on Light Bulb)

https://drive.google.com/file/…qsgL1XHOT1-9Xp4CLrj2/view

I could go on with his resume (there's a reason his rap parts in WayV's recent Awaken The World album has been applauded not just by czennies) but I won't since it would take me hours to put them all here. The only thing that he lacks for now is exposure and more song/rap credits under his belt.

🌻 can you believe its only the beginning? 🌻

1989932d781b234b4649363d3a5299d53eaa97b1.gifv ebae5a75bbd3a7178d4838548283b5cf81e46117.gifv b4bec6927047f7779dccebafdc6d4a9c0fd68682.gifv

Edited once, last by lotsarice ().

• Vocals : Taeil, Doyoung, Xiaojun, Haechan, Renjun/Jaehyun

Rap: Mark, Yangyang

Dance : Ten, Taeyong, Jisung, Winwin, Shotaro

@ op Taeil is by far NCT's best vocalist but Haechan has such a pretty and distinct vocal tone and that's why he always gets to sing some of the killer parts and his lines sometimes end up being the most memorable, especially during the bridge (wtf @ his bridge in Simon Says like damn) and the vocally oriented songs. NCT vocal line in general is very solid, not only skill wise but especially uniqueness and variety of tones wise.

• Nctzens, ahoy!

Vocals:

- Taeil. King Moon, always and for eternity. He may have had fewer moments in the Resonance era but just think about that rearranged From Home, oooo child.

- Doyoung. Also serving vocals for days. I prefer the richness of Taeil’s tone but both of these two are superb.

- Xiaojun. Someone who really got extra oomph in Resonance, but had a chance to show off already in WayV where he is the strongest voice. (Unlike 127, where there are many strong options.)

- Haechan. Lots of power and a really distinct sound.

- I feel like I can’t pick a 5th place here. There several underappreciated vocalists who round out the harmonies with consistent, less showy performances like Chenle, Jaehyun or Kun.

Dance:

- Ten, Taeyong,

Those two are in a class of their own. After that, I think it’s really about technical vs showmanship...

Jisung, Shotaro, Mark

Rap:

- Mark, Yangyang and Taeyong. That’s it here. They are all really strong, but after that...

Stage presence:

- Taeyong is the champion here. It’s hard not to watch him.

- Ten. Also knows how to really work and utilize every aspect of the stage/camera.

- Xiaojun. You can especially see how he snatched the wig in Make A Wish performances with some other big stage folks.

- Yuta. I feel like everyone talks about those first three but as soon as he’s in the front, you notice him. He’s definitely got IT.

- this fifth spot is a bit like the vocal, because when they choose to turn it on (like Jaehyun or Jeno), it can be really enthralling where you’re watching what they do. But then there are others who pretty consistently serve it well like Mark or Lucas. Hmm. Waffling here. Maybe Mark?

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Rap - I'm going to be extremely honest. None of them are strong imo

Stage presence - Taeyong and Xiaojun but the other members aren't so far behind.

Rap... :(;(

Xiaojun is a surprise. I'm not familiar with him, is he really that strong on stage?

Hmmmm I really disagree with what I said about haechan :sweatr:

? How do you mean?

There's no way Yangyang is ranked that low on the Rap rankings (lower than Lucas, really? And Lucas over Hendery?). I would put him on third place, hell, I can even get him tied with Taeyong at second. Taeyong raps well but his pronunciation is very hit or miss and he has this tendency of chewing his words (if you think of a Taeyong verse, you always know how he will deliver it without even hearing the song).

I can only base it on what I've watched and listened to so far, which recently was mostly stuff from Resonance era.

Like how the rappers presented themselves in 'Misfit'.

Sungchan was a new face, but he drew my attention in both 'So '90s' and 'Misfit', which is why I put him on the list for rap and stage presence.

I'm not that familiar with Wayv or Yangyang, in fact I only listed him because I read on several other places that he was a solid rapper.

So if you say Yangyang deserves better as a rapper, I'll immediately accept it :)

Also, I just focused on flow and line delivery/execution. Rapper also includes producing your own lyrics and freestyle as part of the overall skillset in which a rapper can excel, but I don't know how to rate the NCT rappers on those.

Their voices are smooth as honey and almost angelic, I agree. The vocal colors that SM went for really jump out.

I thought as well that Taeil was NCT's best vocalist (above average level? Proficient? Not sure), but seeing how Haechan was getting more and more screentime, I thought I was maybe wrong. But if like you say it's about Haechan's vocal color, then that makes sense.

Also, I get the feeling that Haechan fits better as a performer with the other NCT members, his dance skills and presence on stage feels stronger than Taeil's.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I read some articles that said that some of their choreographers thought Ten, Taeyong and Mark were NCT's best dancers, but that NCT's overal dance level was high.

I'm not sure if those choreographers also saw Shotaro, but his dancing in 'Resonance' era did make an impression on me.

Ten seems to finally have been given the attention and screentime he deserves, he surprised me as lead vocalist in 'So '90s' and his stage performance game is really strong.

y'all seem to forget about renjun and chenle in the vocal rankings

I'm not that familiar with these 2.

Where would you rank them in vocals?

SWJ1P.gif

• is haechan really getting more screentime??? because he has always been in nct dream and 127 simultaneously and he was in from home and 90s love, but like i am not sur ehe could pull off taeils vocals, i mean haechan has quite an unique voice but so does taeil, and i personally prefer taeils voice and he sounds overall much better to me, i can't pinpoint much on sm's mode of operation but i don't think they don't let taeil out of 127 much due to his voice. You can say heachan is overall better rounded, which apart from his visuals, sure, but that doesn't make him a better vocalist.

• Agree with almost everything, Mark is second in dance. He's better and more flexible and bigger range of dance techniques than taeyong by far, I think taeyong is a good dancer but he tends to over dance certain moves when he could perform it without the extra energy. I would say 5 singer would be Ten but I don't say that with a lot of confidence cause I know he's good I just don't know the how good?

:zipr:

aespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgiraespadaily | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgirningning gif | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

æ- "𝕋𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕚𝕤 𝔼𝕧𝕠, 𝔼𝕧𝕠𝕝𝕦𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟" -𝕒𝕖𝕤𝕡𝕒 -æ

• The thing about Shotaro is that he’s brand new, considering his background and the fsvt that he was scouted from social media, especially since it’s rare unless you’re drop dead gorgeous or hella talented, I doubt he’s behind the two. We just can’t compare him yet because we’ve seen 4 1/2 years of Mark/Taeyong. I’m really anticipating his skills but considering he’s a foreign member not sure if they’ll let him since Ten is there and SM probably pushed their limits with the “foreign” line

• Fith spot for vocals goes to Jaehyun cause he is a baritone, but he sings really high for his type of voice.

(for stage presence Jeno for the fith place)

For the rest I totally agree with you :yesr:

• Fith spot for vocals goes to Jaehyun cause he is a baritone, but he sings really high for his type of voice.

(for stage presence Jeno for the fith place)

For the rest I totally agree with you :yesr:

Jeno really came hard in the Resonance era. If you'd asked me before, I might not have felt it quite as much, but he really showed strong!

I agree that I'd love to see Jaehyun sing in those deeper tones - maybe we'll see a solo track on YouTube that shows it off this year! (I wish they were still doing more stuff on SM Station because that would be a great place for that..)

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!