Magi is so vulgar and disgusting

• A ten year old boy molesting and sexually assaulting the women in the show and it’s shown so casually.

And it’s not suggestive type it’s out right shown. He fondles their breasts and in one scene he even is shown to lick down below.

Like how on earth is Japanese anime so removed from general decency like this.

The story is actually good but it’s just so hard to get through for me.

I’ve always sort of side eyed the sexualization of teens in anime by pretending they’re aged up in my head. But when you show a ten year who actually looks like a child molesting it’s just so unbearable.

Sigghhhh. Have you guys watched this one? The story is actually good. But man is it hard to watch.

• I'm... not surprised. There are some twisted stuff in anime and manga.

I do want to check this out. I mean, it sounds gross, but kind of interesting as well.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• It does sound really good, but that is the exact reason I've never started it. :pepenomad:

• I love Magi but they do hype up said humor of the little boy all up in women's nono areas. Hell they even had Alladin do it on that old horrible guy- There's a lot of anime with said "comedy", like willlldly popular since older classic anime as well. This would be considered a crumb of the problematic stuff in majority. So it doesn't faze me personally, I still enjoyed the manga.

It’s sad because otherwise the story is very decent.

• it gets prettyyyyy dark and hopeless too at some point which made me a lil iffy on it but yeah, I like the world building in it. It's very lovely.

for the love of god doooooooon't hdsjhdjshsj LOL

I just started season 2. I don’t think I’ll go back and read the manga but I will prolly complete this season.

It’s also sad cuz Magi also has some kick ass female characters like Morgiana and others. They all have way more personality than many Shonen women.

If only casual molestation wasn’t a thing in the show. Rippppp.

• I adoooore Morgiana. She has even more growth but imo. Stuff gets convoluted at some point and you don't take joy from the characters as you once did. It's just like a party full of pain, so you could always just read the end spoilers to skip it all lol.

Her alongside Alladin's mom ( went through greaaaat character development, whew) were my favorites but she was done dirty so :\ looking back, maybe I didn't really like the series that much lmao

i heard the anime s2 is satisfying so i'll just stop there kek.

Other than vin land saga i don't think i ever willingly picked up the manga after a show ending kek

• A lot of it is excused because the character is a kid but yeah...

Reminds me of this new isekai anime which came out this year that has the most disgusting mc who is an actual pedophile but weebs excuse it because its just the author portraying a "normal flawed human". It sucks because the story is so good but the mc... (anime is called mushoku tensei)

I think we should start blaming anime consumers who actually enjoy this content.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• It has been a long time since I have watched Magi but isnt he an ancient being from a different plane of existence.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No. He is from a different dimension. But he is a 10 year old boy. Not thousand year old. At least from what I’ve seen.

Ahh, well then that is def frowned upon in western morals.

I'm not a puritan and I don't think depiction in art and fiction of immoral things is crime or should be banned.

Just don't watch it if you don't like it, but don't try to change it or force other people from being able to watch it.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't know anything about anime. I looked this up and it looks like it's aimed at children??? Like it doesn't look like Akira or Ghost in the Shell.

So like.

Why.

Also would it be okay for him to molest women if he was actually a thousand years old?

And ALSO isn't there a difference between depicting "immoral" things and normalising them as "boys will be boys" and then laughing about it?

• Ahh, well then that is def frowned upon in western morals.

I'm not a puritan and I don't think depiction in art and fiction of immoral things is crime or should be banned.

Just don't watch it if you don't like it, but don't try to change it or force other people from being able to watch it.

It’s not frowned up on in “western” moral. It’s frowned upon. Period. why on earth did you put western in quotes like a child molesting women is acceptable in any part of the world. :pepewash:

Idk what you mean by “force”. Just because the artist has the freedom to express doesn’t mean he’s free from the consequence of those actions. And criticism is the consequence of expression.

AKP being creepy day 9393929229. :pepe-cross: :pepe-cross: :pepe-cross:

• You said what you said. Dude bros thinking normalizing the assault of women is their freedom to express.

Anyway freedom of expression is your ability to express without going to jail. Not freedom from public discourse so I don’t know what they’re on.

• It’s not frowned up on in “western” moral. It’s frowned upon. Period. why on earth did you put western in quotes like a child molesting women is acceptable in any part of the world. :pepewash:

Idk what you mean by “force”. Just because the artist has the freedom to express doesn’t mean he’s free from the consequence of those actions. And criticism is he consequence of expression.

AKP being creepy day 9393929229. :pepe-cross: :pepe-cross: :pepe-cross:

It is acceptable in some parts of the world sadly.

And it is fine to have criticism. I just strongly disagree when people try to ban fictional things on the bases of their feelings being hurt or that it will corrupt society etc.

It is the same argument that institutions like the Catholic Church had in the middle ages when they banned books, or that the Nazis did when they burn them.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• It is acceptable in some parts of the world sadly.

And it is fine to have criticism. I just strongly disagree when people try to ban fictional things on the bases of their feelings being hurt or that it will corrupt society etc.

It is the same argument that institutions like the Catholic Church did in the middle ages when they banned books, or that the Nazis did when they burn them.

Don't think anyone in this thread said anything about banning anything.

• Don't think anyone in this thread said anything about banning anything.

Yes, but I think Japanese authors/artists (well all authors and artists) should have the freedom to write and publish what they want.

So I'm just disagreeing with moral alarmists based off of principle.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• It is acceptable in some parts of the world sadly.

It is the same argument that institutions like the Catholic Church did in the middle ages when they banned books, or that the Nazis did when they burn them.

You’re confusing many things. Criticism on an online forum or to warn people away from such stuff. Is not the same thing as a powerful institution taking action.

The fact that you randomly brought up that argument is so weird and is like you’re excusing such behavior.

Man dude bros comparing criticism of sexually assaulting women in anime to Nazis banning books.

Just say you hate women and go. And also please add me to your block list if it’s possible.

• If you want to have a deluded take about hating women than go for it.

You are part of the problem, you enable institutions to have power to censor.

You sound like someone on the religious right.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• Yes, but I think Japanese authors/artists (well all authors and artists) should have the freedom to write and publish what they want.

So I'm just disagreeing with moral alarmists based off of principle.

"Moral alarmists"?

Just looks like you're boxing strawmen tbh.

I don't think expressing disgust at the depiction of a child molesting women for comedy is moral alarmism. I think it's a pretty reasonable and logical critique over something that is hard to defend.

I mean it IS hard to defend, right?

Which is why the only defence is... "Free speech"

And not,

"Well, it is justified based on this:"

Right?

So what does that tell us about the effect of the inclusion of that element in the work? Or how it impacts the artistic integrity of the whole?

Should we not be asking for good art, instead of shit art that compromises its own tone and ideology to pander to creeps or make childish jokes?

Which is to say, sure, they can write and publish what they want, and we can write and publish what we want responding to it,

But at the end of the day, there's a reason novelists have editors.

• If you want to have a deluded take about hating women than go for it.

You are part of the problem, you enable institutions to have power to censor.

You sound like someone on the religious right.

Nice try.

Your argument held no relevance to present discourse. And will only be brought by incels and misogynists. If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck. Well.

If you don’t want to be labeled like that then don’t behave like that.

Never interact with me again. If possible. I beg.

• Could be, what is your take on the whole thing. So I can understand your position?

I did not mean to put words in your mouth if you don't think them.

"I don't think expressing disgust at the depiction of a child molesting women for comedy is moral alarmism. I think it's a pretty reasonable and logical critique over something that is hard to defend."

I agree with you here that it is unsavory. I don't like stuff like that either which is why I could not finish Seven Deadly Sins (an anime on Netflix).

"Should we not be asking for good art, instead of shit art that compromises its own tone...."

I disagree with the first part of this in that there is a such thing as subjective good art and bad art. It really just depends on the person.

I probably just misunderstood, my point is criticism is fine but censorship is not. If you guys just don't like it then I don't disagree with that.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I don't care what you label me with. That does not change the fact that I know it is not true. I will interact on what threads and with what people I want to.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I don't care what you label me with. That does not change the fact that I know it is not true. I will interact on what threads and with what people I want to.

That’s what bigots usually say. They are not much self aware. But I only pity ppl like that. So good day to you.

New block feature works wonderfully. So actually I don’t have to interact with you.

• That’s what bigots usually say. They are not much self aware. But I only pity ppl like that. So good day to you.

New block feature works wonderfully. So actually I don’t have to interact with you.

It is fine, I pitty you. Your the bigot here.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• I think it is one of greatest manga i ever read.

It is okay, I think there are a lot better ones imo.

If you like it though more power to you.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

• Could be, what is your take on the whole thing. So I can understand your position?

I don't have a take on it; I've not seen it, and will never see it, because I don't watch anime or have any interest in it.

I was just pointing out,

In the first instance, that you were arguing against something that hadn't been expressed (IE: censorship);

In the second instance, that nobody here was coming across as a moral alarmist.

On the subject of good art vs. bad art, subjectivity will only take you so far. I always find "*shrug* it's subjective" to be a really lazy argument.

Lets say you've made this emotional scene where a character is describing some past trauma and the music swells and the audience is expected to shed tears.

But the character is dressed in assless chaps where the camera lingers.

You now have two different intents. Those intents conflict, and one or the other has been compromised. This is an objective flaw.

Just like it is an objective flaw of a Sarah Brand song that she cannot sing in key.

How it relates to this specific anime, I can't say. Is the character in question the protagonist? Is he supposed to be some bright eyed beacon of optimism and positivity? Who just happens to molest women?

Outside of any discussion of normalisation or whatever,

If THAT was true (and I'm not saying it is), it's obviously an objective flaw.

Which art can have, which is why art criticism exists.

• Right? Seems like it would actually be worse wouldn't it? Since he would supposedly be well old enough know better and hopefully be wise enough to not treat women as objects in such a disgusting fashion? Is this magi portrayed in the anime as someone to look up to or aspire to be?

Also, I agree that there is a big difference between depicting immoral things and normalising them. A lot of creators will have immoral things in their work and dark anti-heroes, but they will use the art to comment on the problematic nature of what they are showing. It doesn't seem like that's what's happening here.

• This thread contains 23 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!