Why is it so important for girl groups to have solo activities?

• In contrast with BG members, they seem to not care if they'll just continue to promote as a group forever but with GGs, a member has to be a cf queen, a member has to be an actress and most often, fans loves to push GG members to have a solo debut, I barely see these stuff with BG fandoms.

Is this the reason why Girl Groups' lifetime is much shorter and fragile compare to Boy Groups?

• I think GG stans always have in the back of their head that a GG will disband sooner than BG, and that they need to prepare for 'after'.

It might also have something with girls being constantly put in competition against each others in the music industry ( or... you know... in general ).

• Maybe its because time has proven most girl groups could not continue to be as active as they were after their contract renewal/cancellation as opposed to BG, and the trend of having solo careers is honestly because the big 3 GG of previous gens can only survive by doing so

1st Gen - Hyori as the variety star and legendary soloist, Eugene as an actress

2nd Gen - All 8 members of SNSD have a stable solo career, WG have Sunmi and 2NE1 have Dara and CL

Its interesting to see what would happen to the Big 3 GG of the 3rd Gen, will they be able to create a new trend?

Anyways not being active as a group is not necessarily that bad, especially if your company treats you like shit it would be a thousand times better to focus on solo career, the company can't take that away from you

영원히 소녀시대! BLACKPINK IS THE REVOLUTION                      original.gif

• history and precedent shows that the amount of GG with ALL members promoting past 30 is almost non-existent

history and precedent shows that the amount of GG that are successful in their group promotions post 30 is probably countable with one hand...

furthermore GG with all members renewing post first contract extension is very rare...

thus solo activities...

• GG fans aren’t as loyal as BG fans in general, so GG members need a plan B to stay relevant even after they disband.

Also it brings more money in if the members have CF deals and other solo activities. BG’s most of the time can survive from just album sales, touring and merchandise. All things GG’s falling behind in income compared to BG’s .

Only BG’s who aren’t doing that well is where you see the more popular members doing all these solo activities.

• I think GG stans always have in the back of their head that a GG will disband sooner than BG, and that they need to prepare for 'after'.

It might also have something with girls being constantly put in competition against each others in the music industry ( or... you know... in general ).

ggs does disband sooner than bgs, there are about 3 pre 3rd gen ggs still as a group and none are active (apink was the only gg still active but we will see if they continue), there are way more 2nd generation bgs active even with military going on.

Even for 3rd gen, Aoa, Exid and Gfriend already disbanded, while no well known bg disbanded yet.

• Im excluding CF / drama in my following comment as I think most established groups would have at least 1 or 2 members, especially the centre or visual to have solo activities, be it CF or drama. Im scoping to solo music releases only

Imo, most of the more established (or relevant) BGs actually have decent solo career too, example Big Bang, B2ST, 2pm, Super Junior, EXO, and even BTS (not full scale, but some members have released solo stuff).

When OP talks about GGs have more solo than BG, probably that's because solos from GGs make more noises than BGs (same with GGs which generally get more attention than BGs). There are many GGs with no members doing proper solos - Twice, Gfriend etc, as many as BGs without solo music i would assume.

About fandom, i think any fandom (boy or girl) would want their fave to have a shot at solo. But usually I can see bigger groups face more difficulty to have solo activities because individually the members are not as well known/publicly recognised (example Seventeen, WJSN).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!