4. No mixed black idols in the Big 3 (2) 7%
    5. Xenophobia of kfans (6) 21%
    6. Stereotypes about minorities (5) 18%
    7. Glorification of white aesthetics (6) 21%
    8. Islamophobia (5) 18%
    9. Mistreatment of SEA idols (6) 21%
    10. Avoiding SEA trainees besides Thai (6) 21%
    11. None (14) 50%

Ifans are well known to support lgbtx and BLM while simultaneously promoting their biases. So ifans care a lot about social issues. There are often discussions about CA. But besides that what are your social concerns in kpop?

• Like most ifans i don’t think i actually care or call these things “concerns”. If it’s a scandal and happening in the moment i’d weigh in, but having to choose my top social concerns seems weird since i wouldn’t say i care about any of these strongly enough to say i’m “actively concerned”, but if there’s drama and a scandal, i can put my “fake concern” hat on. It’s not so much “fake concern” as it’s surface level generic opposition because why not be against any of those causes.

So i guess my answer is, all of them are a concern, but i don’t care enough about them independent of the petty drama that accompanies these issues.

Enjoy my word salad.

• Like most ifans i don’t think i actually care or call these things “concerns”. If it’s a scandal and happening in the moment i’d weigh in, but having to choose my top social concerns seems weird since i wouldn’t say i care about any of these strongly enough to say i’m “actively concerned”, but if there’s drama and a scandal, i can put my “fake concern” hat on. It’s not so much “fake concern” as it’s surface level generic opposition because why not be against any of those causes.

So i guess my answer is, all of them are a concern, but i don’t care enough about them independent of the petty drama that accompanies these issues.

Enjoy my word salad.

Are you a white person by any chance?

• Are you a white person by any chance?

Nope, definitly black and gay lmao. Its not that i don't care about these issues, i do and am very up to date on US politics, probably alot more than the average person, But i just don't see why caring about "lack of LGBTX representation" in kpop, when the US Supreme Court just ruled that a Philadelphia HAD to work with catholic foster services even though these services discriminated against LGBT couples by not letting them adopt/foster kids. This stuff is way more important to me and actually something i'm concerned about.

But some idol doing CA or colorism in SK? Yeah i'm against it in principle, and like i said, i'll definitely care in the moment just to enjoy some drama/scandal, but as for constantly caring about it to the point of it being one of my concerns in kpop? No, its not a concern. Here for Music and Fandom Culture, that is about it, not to make societal points about a foreign country, but if there's juicy drama, then yeah.

• Racism against SEA is the big one for me. It's stupid, massively counterproductive given how many SEA fans consume KPOP.

Someone like Natty deserves so much more.

From what I've seen Thai fans used Natty to hate on Twice, but then once BPink got big they acted like Natty never existed

• Where is the "Other" option? Anyways. The biggest problem I see is the expansion and normalization of "cultural hyperreality" or whatever you call the bending or even rejecting of reality and logic in order to facilitate parasocial relationships and group identification. I have never seen this phenomenon present in such a degree anywhere as I have during the last few weeks that i've been looking into kpop.

• Colorism and lookism. SK as a whole has a lot of problems with those 2, and a lot of other fucked up things from the society and the industry derivate from those.

Neo got my back

bottom!Taeyong | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!