Super Junior was bigger than EXO

• Super Junior prime was bigger than EXO prime. Even now SJ members are still relevant while EXO members are declining.

SJ 2009 - 2012 is just too much for EXO 2013 -216.

Sorry Sorry is still the most famous kpop song in the world.

EXO was a worthy follow up. But they came up short in surpassing SJ impact.

SM Boy Group Hierarchy:

1. TVXQ

2. H.O.T.

3. Super Junior

4. EXO

5. SHINee

6. NCT

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Shinee is the follow up BG to Suju.

and no EXO should be higher on that hierarchy

How can you possibly move them up though? Who should be moved below them?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Super Junior and H.O.T (even though they are SM's first BG they were only active for 5 years)

That doesn't matter though cause you are looking at it in todays kpop standard.

During H.O.T. time there was no such thing as what constituted a long and legendary career.

It's the same thing as saying an older group had no impact cause of low YouTube views when YouTube didn't exist back then.

• People really like to ignore how many hits EXO had. Lol. Anyway another day another troll worthy thread on AKP to downplay SM’s most successful group. But carry on.

I'm not ignoring anything in regards to EXO. They were huge yes. Second only to BTS in 3rd gen.

But they weren't quite SJ level.

• I'm not ignoring anything in regards to EXO. They were huge yes. Second only to BTS in 3rd gen.

But they weren't quite SJ level.

In zero ways does Suju have anything higher than EXO.

They haven’t performed in Jamsil nor can they match exo’s concert attendance in Korea.

EXO’s solo and subunits are the only relevant BG solos in all of SM. Suju has like one member who does semi decent on the charts but nothing more and no physicals which can at least compensate poor charting.

EXO has way more hits. Suju was never as relevant digitally as EXO.

Just because you say something troll worthy to pass it off as facts won’t make it true.

• hot was #1 and still has the best selling albums in SM after 25 years.

coz no one was streaming thing music then. given the rise of streaming, EXO has sold a lot of albums. Also the difference between H.O.T's and EXO's best selling album is less than 100K. Taking into account EXO's solo success EXO is on a different level. The only reason I put TVXQ above EXO is their Japanese tours that bring in a lot of money and opening up a new Kpop market.

• a) Baekhyun didn't sell over 1 million albums for you to say he's declining. Make this thread when suju can do that

b) Wasn't there for either, so idk

c) Sorry Sorry is NOT still the most famous song in the world, catch up with the times drew. That's dyna.

d) Also, btw, these are two groups that are gens apart, so it's tough to compare anyways.

• Wasn't the idea of EXO drawn from SJ? Why expect them to have the same kind of impact? The "firsts" usual have a protypical impact that can't be reproduced because of being the first.

I think SJ and EXO are good in their own ways. Track for track, EXO still has one of the greatest catalogs on the guy side of SM's group roster. I think that is their "first". Adding even more great songs to it would be all the more golden.

• Suju won daesang in 2007.. they were highest selling physical BG from 2009 to 2012.. they were huge in china and all over asia if we are talking SEA peak wise suju is arguably biggest in Kpop history.

While yes they didnt have the digital level of exo in Korea internationally in their peak they were as big as exo. Hallyu kings for their time.

But in Korea i think exo had a bigger peak.

Bro lol no. Kpop already grew too big outside of Korea for you make a claim like suju is bigger. Internationally exo is way bigger than Suju in every way. Your only argument is exo isn’t the biggest of their time cuz there are other acts. Which is a weird way to compare things. Yeah exo isn’t the biggest of their time cuz we had huge international hit but they’re bigger than suju. That much is for sure.

Anyway look at exo members and ex exo members popularity in China Vs Suju. Let’s not go there. THAAD happened but that won’t change the fact that EXO is the biggest kpop group in China by a large margin. Not just Suju but the vast majority of kpop. Suju isn’t even bigger than SNSD in China so please.

• coz no one was streaming thing music then. given the rise of streaming, EXO has sold a lot of albums. Also the difference between H.O.T's and EXO's best selling album is less than 100K. Taking into account EXO's solo success EXO is on a different level. The only reason I put TVXQ above EXO is their Japanese tours that bring in a lot of money and opening up a new Kpop market.

If THAAD had not happened I feel less people would say this if EXO could have had their mega huge tours in China.

But nothing can be done about that I guess. Numbers are numbers. But IMO EXO > TVXQ simply because they are more relevant individually and as subunits.

• Suju won daesang in 2007.. they were highest selling physical BG from 2009 to 2012.. they were huge in china and all over asia if we are talking SEA peak wise suju is arguably biggest in Kpop history.

While yes they didnt have the digital level of exo in Korea internationally in their peak they were as big as exo. Hallyu kings for their time.

But in Korea i think exo had a bigger peak.

exo had the record for the most daesangs until recently, exo was the highest selling physical bg from 2013-2017, exo blew up in china and is still going strong with sehun,chanyeol,baek constantly topping the list for celebrities, Exo not only has SEA but a big international following as well.

Digitally suju can't compare to exo either. Even exo's solo members have better digitals (kyuhyen is the only suju member who can compete)

exo simply beat suju in every aspect. Even exo's solos and subunits have sold more than suju. I'm tired of everyone forgetting what exo has achieved.

• Peak wise.

2009-2012. They for sure were the top group in china.

But when hangeng left Suju ofc it wasnt the same and sjm doesnt exist for a while now. But peak wise different story.

No Suju is not. Did you even look up numbers lol. SNSD > SUJU. Try googling. Even taeyeon alone > suju.

And wtf is peak wise eye- another way for people to discredit exo I guess.

• No Suju is not. Did you even look up numbers lol. SNSD > SUJU. Try googling. Even taeyeon alone > suju.

And wtf is peak wise eye- another way for people to discredit exo I guess.

Why are you so defensive? We are NOT discrediting Exo and what they did.

But did you not see that video of Seungri asking a foreign girl what kpop groups she knows and the only one she knew was Super Junior. She didn't even know BigBang.

Now that's the impact of SJ.

• You are missing the point.

2009 is the peak i mean look up what sujum did there and how huge hangeng was he held the Olympic torch and there were sujum stamps made.

Bro tf :’D I’m sorry China didn’t have olympics for EXO to hold the torch? Please stop making up arbitrary achievements to justify non points.

In no measure does Suju have anything in China over EXO. Not peak. Not impact. Nothing.

• suju was definitely huge but i would still put exo above them. exo revived buying physical albums, no one was selling albums like exo was at their peak. now a good amount of kpop acts have become million sellers after exo started selling albums like crazy. after suju peaked in 2011, physical albums werent selling like they used to until exo blew up! do the math! you can call suju one of the pinoeers for hallyu wave (which i agree) but exo surpassed them and even suju would agree.

"

" svt + blackpink supremacy

final-1.gif

• Okay, so I looked up some stats.

Album wise: exo's way bigger

Suju: They have over 4m album sales, with their highest selling album being I believe Mr. Simple at about 560,000. They have 9 studio albums

Exo: They have sold about 11.9 million albums, so already greatly surpassing Suju, with their highest selling album being DMUMT at 1.9 mil copies sold.

Touring:

Suju's largest tour brought in a total of 543,406 people, and they have held 8 tours in total. They have gone as far as Mexico and Brazil, but typically seem to tour within SEA and east asia.

Exo's largest tour had 745,820 people in attendance, and they have had 5 tours. They too, tend to stay within Asia, but have gone to Canada/the US.

Digitals:

Too lazy. Seems like only Growl has 2 mil downloads, but tbf Sorry Sorry was released in 2009. However they both have only a couple of huge hits.

In conclusion: Drew you better find a way to quantify impact, cause exo's leading from the few things I found.

• Why are you so defensive? We are NOT discrediting Exo and what they did.

But did you not see that video of Seungri asking a foreign girl what kpop groups she knows and the only one she knew was Super Junior. She didn't even know BigBang.

Now that's the impact of SJ.

Ah yes, the greatest achievement. A random person knowing Suju. Truly proves your point. Well, tic tac, we better pack it up, because no matter how many albums exo sells, suju will always have this ONE moment that makes them larger.

• i would say sorry sorry had a bigger impact than growl. other than that tho exo has a lot more hits and everything else you just mentioned proves exo surpassed suju

"

final-1.gif

• Exo was able to sale over a million copies of one album BECAUSE of SJ.

SJ were the Kings of the Hallyu Wave which means they grew kpop so big that it brought in so many new fans FOR Exo to do what they did.

If SJ didn't step up and carry the industry after the TVXQ scandal then EXO would have been another SHINee. And no disrespect to SHINee cause they were huge too. But just not on that level.

• Exo was able to sale over a million copies of one album BECAUSE of SJ.

SJ were the Kings of the Hallyu Wave which means they grew kpop so big that it brought in so many new fans FOR Exo to do what they did.

If SJ didn't step up and carry the industry after the TVXQ scandal then EXO would have been another SHINee. And no disrespect to SHINee cause they were huge too. But just not on that level.

Then how come suju didn't sell 1m albums?

• Then how come suju didn't sell 1m albums?

The industry wasn't there yet. It was still growing.

I mean TVXQ was the first kpop group to sell over 500k albums in 4 years with Mirotic in 2008.

That right there tells you NOBODY was gonna sell a million in second gen if even TVXQ didn't.

• I mean I guess you're right, since it helped to spread kpop a bit more. But impact still isn't quantitative, and yeah, exo has literally EVERYTHING else.

its hard to track digital sales from 2009 since it was before gaon, last time i checked sorry sorry had 2.9M downloads. while growl has 2M, so the gap isnt huge in terms of numbers but suju takes the cake just on this one. sure suju was huge and a legendary bg but exo has them beat in literally every other aspect, just look at the stats!

"

final-1.gif

• its hard to track digital sales from 2009 since it was before gaon, last time i checked sorry sorry had 2.9M downloads. while growl has 2M, so the gap isnt huge in terms of numbers but suju takes the cake just on this one. sure suju was huge and a legendary bg but exo has them beat in literally every other aspect, just look at the stats!

Oh thanks for checking digitals! Yeah older songs are def harder. I find it funny that Drew has resorted to "second gen wasn't as big", when this thread is purely about who is bigger.

• Oh thanks for checking digitals! Yeah older songs are def harder. I find it funny that Drew has resorted to "second gen wasn't as big", when this thread is purely about who is bigger.

SJ during their time is bigger than EXO in their time.

There are millions more kpop fans and consumers today than there was in 2009 (thanks to SJ). So that's what makes it look like EXO was bigger.

I didn't want to have to say this cause its played out but you've forced my hand...

• EGGS can't accept the fact that despite the numbers of their oppas they are felt pretty irrelevant in all honesty.

SUJUs impact in the industry and the country are irrefutable. when you talk about the era of 2nd gen SUJU always come into the mind of people. unlike during this era which BTS totally eclipsed EXO.

Sorry2 was a national hit in Korea as well as a lot SEA countries but EXO biggest hit growl was not. able to do so in SEA countries.

I don't think you know but a lot SUJU members are pretty big deals in the entertainment industry

LEETUK for hosting

HEECHUL for variety

SHINDONG for directing

SIWON for acting

if you want to talk about relevancy in politics SIWON are frequently being part of delegates to meet presidents and prime ministers

• Just because they paved the way doesn’t make them bigger. It doesn’t matter how many people were fans of kpop, we’re not talking about percentages and stuff. Drew, it’s pure facts exo is bigger. Now drop it. Also, it’s funny I thought pave the way would offend me lol

• SJ had a way bigger hit than any Exo's song

I guess Exo is ahead in terms of fandom streaming though

In terms of other areas don't really pay attention but perhapsnit's Exo as Kpop have grown significantly during the end of 2nd gen to early 3rd gen

Exo was marketed as their biggest group ever with abundant resources while SJ was honestly getting scraps. It's a testament to their perseverence that SJ is still touring and making money

So success I think goes to Exo, but impact I give it to SJ. Sorry sorry and Mr Simple were everywhere in 2010s

• lol. Y'all are funny. Also, once again, impact is not quantitative. And btw, tvxq has better album sales (and probably touring), and bigbang better digitals in the boy group alone, so I think suju might be another little second to the greatest group. Whoops!

• This thread contains 15 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!