why only men has to enlist , why not women in korea

• Because they're too busy yelling about equality to enlist.

How are you not banned yet...? Women only 'yell' about equality because they are rightfully angry about it. You are in fact 'yelling' about bad, misogynistic things like this. Maybe try actually educating yourself about feminism before making childish, misinformed comments like this. Have a lovely day. I will be ignoring you from now on!

• How are you not banned yet...? Women only 'yell' about equality because they are rightfully angry about it. You are in fact 'yelling' about bad, misogynistic things like this. Maybe try actually educating yourself about feminism before making childish, misinformed comments like this. Have a lovely day. I will be ignoring you from now on!

Then you are engaging in misandry, right?

• Women get pregnant, which distrupts their careers. Military service evens it out a tiny bit.

Ok but it's not compulsory pregnancy? What's the link though?

Weird to compare something which you have a choice in it, to something that is mandatory. Unless you are saying that since every men must enlist, thus every woman must get pregnant and have a baby then ok you got yourself a comparison there

• I do think its a valid point, but im against all mandatory conscription unless its a VERY specific situation (war time shortages). SK doesn't really need to conscript men imo. I understand the reasoning behind IF NK attacked, but in theory, NK has no reason to attack. So they are just stunting their development and economy by taking away almost 2 years of their men's life.

Either way, i do think Men and Women should have to serve if involuntary conscription is already in place. Its only fair and if your desperate enough for soldiers, women shouldn't be exempt (especially if your only pulling 18-24yrs). Israel has been doing it for awhile and its been fine and i think good as a whole for national unity (tho i hate to praise Israel with everything going on rn lmao).

• This thread is wack but why does anyone who doesn't want to serve in the military have to enlist at all?

Tell'em Bangtan is dancing on the floorImage result for bts dancing gif fire

• Official Post

I'm going to give the only straight forward answer.

It's because people think women are weak.

Yeah...not to mention this rule was implemented back in 1957 where this type of thinking ws very common. Even today, people still have this 'women are weak' mentality.

• How are you not banned yet...? Women only 'yell' about equality because they are rightfully angry about it. You are in fact 'yelling' about bad, misogynistic things like this. Maybe try actually educating yourself about feminism before making childish, misinformed comments like this. Have a lovely day. I will be ignoring you from now on!

well , truth is always bitter. whatever women doesnt want to hear is tagged misogynistic. how the hell was that misogynistic tho?

• I do think its a valid point, but im against all mandatory conscription unless its a VERY specific situation (war time shortages). SK doesn't really need to conscript men imo. I understand the reasoning behind IF NK attacked, but in theory, NK has no reason to attack. So they are just stunting their development and economy by taking away almost 2 years of their men's life.

Either way, i do think Men and Women should have to serve if involuntary conscription is already in place. Its only fair and if your desperate enough for soldiers, women shouldn't be exempt (especially if your only pulling 18-24yrs). Israel has been doing it for awhile and its been fine and i think good as a whole for national unity (tho i hate to praise Israel with everything going on rn lmao).

Might be a hot take, and I might be wrong here.

But to me realistically speaking, if there ever really is going to be a war like an actual war like those on the scale of World War, it wouldn't even be a war. It will just be countries, pressing their nukes and BOOM BOOM BOOM. There isn't going to be a war whereby you see people riding their dem tanks and firing bullets and all, it's just going to be nukes nukes nukes everywhere and it's just total annihilation.

All those military training is literally useless in an actual war IF there is one. Good luck trying to outrun a nuclear missile

• cause they want soldiers capable of taking up arms and fighting when needed

sorry if it hurts anyone but even trained women, barring the exceptional can get punched to death by a drunk guy in a bar fight

SK's military compulsory is not some kind of parent punishing a child

if it doesnt fulfill its purpose, whats the point

• yesh they should admit that they are weak , why a facade that women are strong and blah blah and that they need unfair advantage to move in life.

• It was already said, people think women are weak, many people believe that women can’t do the same jobs as men.

women themselves dont give a fuck in this situation because they know themselves this is gender inequality and it would disadvantage them

• yesh they should admit that they are weak , why a facade that women are string and blah blah

women can be strong no doubt

but to be stronger THAN MEN, they need to be gifted with unusually good height, chest and arm muscle ( lol good luck with that ), muscles that are different in composition ( yes that differs greatly too and is a huge reason behind weak looking men being stronger than most women ), different bone density and still they might lose to a guy of the same height and weight purely because of the lack of the testosterone which gives men an immense boost in aggression in a fight to death scenario

people love talking in exceptions ( oh this woman did THAT ) but there is not time for experiments on the battlefield

• Because women are precious. In fact in so many organisations and even under emergencies, women and children are always given priority to rescue or save. And that is obviously because women give rise to the next generation. Also Korea faces low birth rate presently so I doubt they are gonna force enlistment on their female population.

And just as some users mentioned here it is also a matter of pride I guess. Already men don't like their women fighting their battles for them. They think it is cowardice

• women can be strong no doubt

but to be stronger THAN MEN, they need to be gifted with unusually good height, chest and arm muscle ( lol good luck with that ), muscles that are different in composition ( yes that differs greatly too and is a huge reason behind weak looking men being stronger than most women ), different bone density and still they might lose to a guy of the same height and weight purely because of the lack of the testosterone which gives men an immense boost in aggression in a fight to death scenario

people love talking in exceptions ( oh this woman did THAT ) but there is not time for experiments on the battlefield

That is true. Scientifically speaking men are physically well built more than women and not even about the biceps, Blood cells and haemoglobin levels are higher in men than women. SO are the organs like the heart and the lungs which are larger in capacity compared to women. So naturally men have a headstart when it comes to requiring energy for vigorous activity.

• - um, women are also capable of "taking up arms and fighting when needed." Why do you think there are so many female soldiers if this wasn't true?

-this kind of hand-to-hand combat is not involved in any of the work that these men do, even in the event that NK did decide to attack them, they would not be sending soldiers to punch them down.

i don't understand why people view warfare and hand-to-hand combat as synonymous? i don't think they are at all related anymore? it's all technological. when you're up in an aircraft surveying the area, or even in the event when you're attacking, that extra physical strength that men have won't come down to much.

military has provisions

they cannot host everyone

so they need to choose the strongest of the lot

and btw women volunteers are absolutely accepted in the military provided they show they are capable

it just so happens that the amount of woman who volunteer for military for "equal rights" is close to none

they prefer to take the privilege when it comes to them

so when it comes to forcing to join, the military only chooses who will be of more benefit to them

• yesh they should admit that they are weak , why a facade that women are strong and blah blah and that they need unfair advantage to move in life.

I guess your true colors came out. Sorry to see you weren't being sincere and just a troll after all.

FYI, men can be physically weak also. They can also be physically abused by a woman. Men come in all shapes and sizes, just like women.

• Hmm not sure you're trolls or not :/

Anyway, I'll gave other answer

Generally women are prone to sexual assault, placing them in a male dominated workplace could be dangerous.

Lbr, this is always a fact, whatever place it is. I don’t think it should inhibit women for military. There have been male-dominated jobs that are reconstructured from past to todays standards. Military, however, is slow in that progression.

That being said, i agree with Afriyieau1, women are very vital for reproduction (and im not saying that it’s “their job”, but realistically population control is very vital to any community).

• Because women are precious. In fact in so many organisations and even under emergencies, women and children are always given priority to rescue or save. And that is obviously because women give rise to the next generation. Also Korea faces low birth rate presently so I doubt they are gonna force enlistment on their female population.

I agree with this one. The only one that can give birth is women. There's no guarantee that soldiers will come back safely from a war. if you lost women you have in a war, doesn't that means your nation is doomed since the next generations population will be much less?

• I don't know why, and I'm a women living in SK

Lots of women here actually don't really care if they have to go or not, since most jobs are something like checking people into parking lots. The most dangerous thing you may have to do is stand at the DMZ, but that's mostly, probably all, American soldiers.

There is no active war going on, and jobs like checking people into buildings are taken by women all over the country for buildings that aren't government run. Most military jobs except for police officers, border controllers and guards, are jobs women already do. And they do it just as well without military training.

I personally think we all should have to go in, including myself. It's not fair to men that they are expected to do one thing and we aren't. If a war happened, or North Korea attacked, women would be unable to fight the way men can, because most haven't been made to know that knowledge. We can enter if we want to but most don't, and that's a liability in war.

• Lbr, this is always a fact, whatever place it is. I don’t think it should inhibit women for military. There have been male-dominated jobs that are reconstructured from past to todays standards. Military, however, is slow in that progression.

That being said, i agree with Afriyieau1, women are very vital for reproduction (and im not saying that it’s “their job”, but realistically population control is very vital to any community).

Well, I think it's the right thing to do; keep in mind sexual crimes in Korea are very high and male sex offenders don't get punished enough.

• Anyways, even if lets say military is not mandatory, how many women will enlist voluntarily?

Face it, society's view is that this isn't the "right job" for a woman. Certain workplaces have a gender stereotype to them and over the years social norms have reinforced that. Not just military, but for example nurses is a job that is predominantly female. Social workers are also skewed towards females. This isn't just applies for workplace, but even for schools. Just look at the gender discrepancy in the various university curriculum and you get your answers there too.

And over the years, societal norms has just reinforced this stereotype that certain workplaces are more suited for certain genders.

• This thread contains 38 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!