Anyone else dislikes Gfriend's new image so much??? (which also caused them flop)

• I'm talking about my "ultimate bias group" here. They were pretty much the one and only group that I followed 24/7 and I was a buddy since their debut era.

I keep asking myself, why??? Why did Kpop stans have to put them under so much pressure to change image??? Why would they change their image which Korea seemed to love and made them huge in the first place??? Once fingertip happened, they were no longer releasing national hits and were no longer considered Twice's rival. Thankfully they put the girl crush image aside for a while and managed to release another hit but they went wild again once again in 2020 and this time completely lost their color (and their charting got way worse) . I almost completely stopped following them tbh. Why ??? Why Gfriend??? Why don't people pressure Oh My Girl as much to change their image even if their group's average age is older than Gfriend's???

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• nobody pressure Gfriend to change their image in contrary

it's Source who wanted them to surf on this wave and make them gain more new fans

but i agree with you that even if i liked Mago , their latest comeback didn't give me the impression that i was watching a mv of Gfriend but from a whole new GG.

They lost a lot of their charms with this new imago to me

but they are growing and maybe this image fits more the women that they are nowadays

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• I like GFriend's latest releases way more than their older ones which I find boring. Walpurgis Night is my favorite release of theirs; Mago and Love Spell some of my favorite tracks of 2020. So personally I'd like them to keep going that way.

And I'd welcome such a change for Oh My Girl too. Besides Nonstop, and maybe a couple other tracks, I'm not fond of the music they're doing.

• Maybe similar to Twice they are growing up and don't want to be pigeon holed into one thing, or just don't feel like doing cute/refreshing concepts anymore.

• Because playing tag, leapfrog, hanging out in school gyms, dancing in school uniforms and hitting teddy bears are things that look pretty unnatural when adult women do them. Unless there’s some sorta twist to it which Gfriend never had. They were fully committed and serious about their innocent childhoodness.

And honestly many of the members look like they enjoy their new concept much more.

• Their newer image is much more appealing to me than what glass bead was about lmao. Their music overall in 2020 is one of the highlights in their career too, along with 2018. They’ve definitely got me more on their side now than they did half a decade ago. The girls seem way more comfortable being fun and confident than acting the virginal giddy schoolgirls image force-fed to them by their company at debut, and the genuineness makes me like them a lot more now.

• Their newer image is much more appealing to me than what glass bead was about lmao. Their music overall in 2020 is one of the highlights in their career too, along with 2018. They’ve definitely got me more on their side now than they did half a decade ago. The girls seem way more comfortable being fun and confident than acting the virginal giddy schoolgirls image force-fed to them by their company at debut, and the genuineness makes me like them a lot more now.

I mean when glass bead released 5 out of 6 members were high schoolers, what'd be so weird about that image?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think the change of image can be understand by the shift in public

when they debuted they focused on Korea with cute and innocent concept, which is the type of concept who work the best with the Korean public

but Now International fans are growing , and international media cares a lot more about Kpop, it was normal for them to switch of concept to target the international fans

and you can see it

Her last comeback was badly receive by Koreans

but well receive by International fans

and it was the contrary during their innocent concept

#aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON #aespa from GOMAWO TAEYEON

• Because playing tag, leapfrog, hanging out in school gyms, dancing in school uniforms and hitting teddy bears are things that look pretty unnatural when adult women do them. Unless there’s some sorta twist to it which Gfriend never had. They were fully committed and serious about their innocent childhoodness.

And honestly many of the members look like they enjoy their new concept much more.

I mean they didn't need to be hanging out in high school really, but is LOVE WHISPER too much to ask for??? I won't say an adult girl usually goes around acting sexy and dressing like what they did in Apple. Love whisper seems way more natural. Just girls being girls and having fun.

• I mean when glass bead released 5 out of 6 members were high schoolers, what'd be so weird about that image?

it’s not about the particular image that’s weird, my argument is about how the particular idols execute it that makes it either believable and appealing or jarring and forced. And in gfriend’s case i didn’t feel that the image suited the members much, especially with the excessive portrayal of “innocence” by their company. It felt forced. Which is why they didn’t appeal to me. It’s not about the image itself

• I really wonder how profitable international Kpop stans could be. For a group like BlackPink that can manage to hit a billion views or hold concerts outside Asia perhaps. But Gfriend??? Idk tbh. Ifans don't even purchase albums for the most part. Like Kard was aimed at ifans but they don't seem to be doing well now despite being popular internationally

• They’re grown women now and their old music sucked. Second twice? They had zero international appeal. Seems like international fans prefer the new image and music, but as a group they’re so uninteresting so it’s not amounting to much of anything.

• I really wonder how profitable international Kpop stans could be. For a group like BlackPink that can manage to hit a billion views or hold concerts outside Asia perhaps. But Gfriend??? Idk tbh. Ifans don't even purchase albums for the most part. Like Kard was aimed at ifans but they don't seem to be doing well now despite being popular internationally

international fans aren't very loyal

but they boost the sales, gfriend last album saw an improvement in their sales, even if their sales are really inconsistent

Song of the sirens sold 90K which is good

but then Walpurgis night the full album , which is their most recent release sold only 68K

but i agree that even with International fans Gfriend can't do more

4th gen GG are growing much faster with GG like dreamcatcher selling 126K with their last album

Gidle selling 207K etc....

it'll be hard for them to attract more international fans when , international fans focus is now on 4th gen GG

• Gfriend gave a twist to the innocent concept by not making the girls weak, or fragile things that should be protected. Their image was power innocence, not just innocent and this was something that appealed to me greatly. As someone that just recently was not a teenager anymore, I looked back on my high school days (where a lot of our time was not spend on worrying about the future and the upcoming responsibilities) with fondness. I took for granted the carefree days of my youth. GFRIEND made me go back, the songs have a nostalgic feeling.

• Gfriend gave a twist to the innocent concept by not making the girls weak, or fragile things that should be protected. Their image was power innocence, not just innocent and this was something that appealed to me greatly. As someone that just recently was not a teenager anymore, I looked back on my high school days (where a lot of our time was not spend on worrying about the future and the upcoming responsibilities) with fondness. I took for granted the carefree days of my youth. GFRIEND made me go back, the songs have a nostalgic feeling.

Is that all because of the intense choreographies? Other wise a lot of other groups had the same innocent image... Lovelyz per say, is very similar to Gfriend and were often compared because they debuted around each other and were rivals for the rookie awards.

• boy groups get to do different concepts and songs all the time, but people want girl groups to do the same shit over and over. And when they do, they're also criticised for it.

I thought Apple and Mago were exciting new songs from them and objectively pretty great. Crossroads had no hype and that was the most regular Gfriend song last year.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!