For kpop groups/idols is domestic success or success overseas more important/profitable?

• What's better? 34

The result is only visible to the participants.

Kpop has expanded far beyond sk. Kpop groups hitting it big overseas are somewhat of a novelty, but it's a niche that can be replaced by another group or genre. Domestically there is so much fricking competition amongst groups that unless you reach a near impossible height you will be drowned out in cut throat competition due to over saturation of idol groups.

Either way the threat of new competition, short attention span of gp/fans, being replaced by another group will always loom over. So for both, the group as a whole and it's members, in both long term and short term scenario's which one do you think is better? For members I mean it like where they can find more career opportunities and if there is a glass ceiling for individual success abroad or maybe I'll save that for another thread.

Desbundar

• I would honestly prefer domestic. Thing is other than music I would also love to pursue other gigs, like maybe variety show gigs or maybe even a bit of acting, and having domestic success helps.

Overseas success to me would be more like so I can go on tours and have fun concerts with my fans overseas, not really about the money but about the love of performing and having some level of overseas success can give me that

:pepe-excited::pepe-excited::pepe-excited:

• Domestic success is more important, It helps with the popularity of the group and members and from that, they can branch out to other areas of entertainment, like acting or variety shows.

It's just way easier for companies to capitalize on the popularity inside Korea than outside.

• Short-term, overseas success will bring you fame and money.

Long-term, korean success will bring you an actual career once your group has disbanded.

That said, if you can already have one of the two and survive, that's great.

• both but it depends on the idol

for foreign members overseas success may be more important since they have that to consider post idol life but for korean members maybe the domestic market ?

• Group: Overseas. Biggest concerts revenues, biggest album sales, more money form streams, much more safe footstep if koreans cancells them for some stupid scandal like not bowing enough or staring more than 5 seconds to other idol

Solo: Domestic. International kpop fans barely care about soloists and are mostly unable to secure a stable solo career and their career choices are very limited. In Korea they at least can get endorsements, be in variety shows, acting in dramas, movies, etc. The exception are Chinese idols, for those being active in China is many time more profitable than being in Korea

• I think domestic is more important especially in long run. From what i've heard, kfans don't have multifandom culture. So once they become your fan, you basically can get all their money. Ifans change fandom too often for idols to depend on them in the long run. I think if a group is popular in sk already, ifans (sooner or later) will jump on the bandwagon to stan them too.

• Both have their appeal. Some groups are intentioned at the overseas market. For them overseas success is important but their companies should keep in mind how big of a gamble that is. Touring is a big question mark these days and physicals in the west are dying. Streaming is a different world altogether.

Domestic success on the other hand can guarantee high physicals at least. According to this year's IFPI report asian market has seen a rise in physicals (although Japan went down a bit because they are gradually moving towards streaming). Domestically there is a better hope for touring too at the moment. So right now, during the time of COVID, I would aim for substantial amount of domestic success rather than running towards overseas market where there is instability and uncertainty.

• Both are very important imo, and i believe one can actually lead to the other i don't agree with people saying that domestic success is the only important one, BTS for example i've been an army since 2015 (and know about them since early 2014) so i've seen their journey to the top with my own eyes, of course they started gaining considerable recognition in SK when they released HYYH pt 1 back in spring 2015 but their western success expansion that started in 2017 and 2018 elevated their prestige and status in SK a lot (i think that's when knetizens started calling them ''Korea's pride'') so yeah saying that western success is not important is a whole lie.

• Domestic success opens up a lot more opportunities for an idol's career further down the line. Acting, variety, MCing, CFs, etc. You can have have overseas success but writers aren't gonna offer you a drama role if no one in the GP know who you are

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!