Isn't it now the Big 5 Companies? SM, JYP, YG, Big Hit (Hybe) and ... Edam?

• Shouldn't Big 3 be Big 5? 32

1. No. Big 3 still dominate (5) 16%
    2. Yes, Big 5 is correct (4) 13%
    3. No, Big 4 is correct and Whyknock only included Edam Entertainment because it has to do with IU (23) 72%

Big Hit (Hybe) is bigger than the 'Big 3' combined

so it should be included.

And, while Edam Entertainment has only one singer who spends more time acting,

when there was a poll, she was included in the 5 most powerful figures in KPop

Lee Sooman, owner of SM

Park Jinyoung, owner of JYP

Bang Sihyuk, owner of Big Hit/Hybe

Lee Jieun, effective owner of Edam Entertainment

and BTS.

And, out of the KPop figures, only EXO (SM) and BTS (Big Hit/Hybe) did a concert in the biggest venue of Korea, and IU(Edam) planning to do so when it is safe to do so.

So I think it should be Big 5, not Big 3

• Sorry I voted for the third option.

It’s great that the Edam owner included in the top 5 influential figures vote thingy but... I haven’t seen their sales figure... but I don’t think they are in level with the big 3 plus BH...Hybe so I say Big 4...

Then again the Big 3 was called like that because they were around from the beginning of the kpop as we know it, and they dominated the market for so long. BH overtook them but in a way the history what is behind the big 3 cannot be taken away. So I will respectfully say Big 3+1. Like a shop offer 😂 BH overtook them in sales anyway.

:dancer:

• Hybe is not apart or looking to be apart of the “BIG 3”

It’s clear they’re going into being a more IT company that specializes in music. They’re competing with NAVER and Kakao

It’s great that the Edam owner included in the top 5 influential figures vote thingy but... I haven’t seen their sales figure... but I don’t think they are in level with the big 3 plus BH...Hybe so I say Big 4...

Then again the Big 3 was called like that because they were around from the beginning of the kpop as we know it, and they dominated the market for so long. BH overtook them but in a way the history what is behind the big 3 cannot be taken away. So I will respectfully say Big 3+1. Like a shop offer 😂 BH overtook them in sales anyway.

at the height of IU's fame on 2017 she earned 16M for KakaoM and kept 9M for herself. Her company apparently had an income of 13.5 mil last year, which she probably took a large portion of it herself

• at the height of IU's fame on 2017 she earned 16M for KakaoM and kept 9M for herself. Her company apparently had an income of 13.5 mil last year, which she probably took a large portion of it herself

That’s amazing, no doubt. IU is an amazing artist (not a Stan as her music is not my taste but I can see her popularity) no doubt and that’s sounds like a great achievement when the kpop business is so competitive. 👍 I still wouldn’t class Edam as the fifth but I learned something new about her today. 😂

• I don't think Edam is as influential as the other ones. The other ones mention have strong history and credibilty, not to mention a BUNCH of very successful idols with very large and loyal fandoms. Heck, SM had some of the first KPOP idols.

Actually the sole Edam Singer has been in the showbiz longer than almost all active idols now from the other 4 companies

But wasn't it Big 2 before? With DSP and SM?

• Big 3 has more to do with the legacy of the industry imo, and Hybe is following a different path, thus the Big 3 + 1.

If you want to add EDAM it can be the Big 3 + 1 + 1 :pepelove2:

• But wasn't it Big 2 before? With DSP and SM?

Oh, yeah. Sm and DSP battle. If I would have listened kpop back then I would have been a DSP fan but i wouldn’t count DSP in as after 95-96 when YG and JYPE formed they totally overtook them. (I went to google more about DSP cuz I wasn’t sure the artist. SoBangCha 😬👀 SS501. Wow)

• Hybe is not apart or looking to be apart of the “BIG 3”

It’s clear they’re going into being a more IT company that specializes in music. They’re competing with NAVER and Kakao

Problem is that Naver is the Google of Korea and 7x the size of HYBE. Maybe more like collaborating with rather than competing with Naver. I dunno how big Kakao/Melon are or whether they're just subsidiaries of a giant chaebol which would also make them way bigger than HYBE.

• in many sites EDAM is marked as part of Kakao, but if we include Kakao then we should also include CJ E&M...

but if you say big 5 then it's:

HYBE
    SM
    JYP
    YG
    RBW

because RBW just acquired WM (Oh My Girl, ONF, B1A4, and IZ*ONE's Chaeyeon)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Edam brings more revenue than RBW

A lot of people group Edam under Kakao, but Edam is managed separately from KakaoM. If that logic persists , Starship, PlayM and others should also be counted as KakaoM

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!