Has kpop transcended rankings?

• I saw a member of my fandom refer to IVE as essentially a B tier group with Le Sserafim but in reality i think (and ive said this before) that there are just groups that do well every time now. Like theyve established themselves as “going to do well” but they arent truly better off or worse off than any other group.

look at JUST NewJeans and Aespa for instance.

Aespa:

They had public love for a good moment with Next Level, but they saw a slight dip in support for their next couple of releases, but always extremely successful and despite single performance, still selling MILLIONS.

In reality until this comeback they were sorta seen by kpop stans as a joke because they hadnt had a hit in so long, so people ranked Gidle above them in a “ranking”

Fast forward to now and because Gidle isnt currently promoting/embroiled in controversy (lsfm/nj) they arent even in the ranking system

NewJeans:

Impeccable record from debut, every album i think has sold over a million but maybe i’m wrong??? They are considered a flop, but realistically they are just doing slightly less well than before and they had been in an upward trajectory for so many releases that it seemed like now that they arent #1, theyre last, but more weirdly than that…. Aespas #1? (Mind you aespas second single on the same album that’s competing against NewJeans’ is performing worse than three singles NewJeans is promoting)

And all of this has me thinking….. like this is so arbitrary. In the past we could use this “model” to classify groups because up until like BlackPink and BTS kpop was still being introduced globally and fandoms only had like 5 million people (outside of cbars) to split between the groups but now there are billions of people actively always streaming kpop songs and it feels like we’re so busy infighting for nothing

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• If a b tier group outsell s tier groups then are s and a tier groups really s and a tier? Largest majority of kpop stans have no clue about what they say. They just keep saying shit hoping something sticks and the ppl that buy the bs and repeat without checking for themselves are even worse.

If ive was a hybe or sm gg there would be zero doubts about their status, similar to g idle

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• If a b tier group outsell s tier groups then are s and a tier groups really s and a tier? Largest majority of kpop stans have no clue about what they say. They just keep saying shit hoping something sticks and the ppl that buy the bs and repeat without checking for themselves are even worse.

If ive was a hybe or sm gg there would be zero doubts about their status, similar to g idle

I think theres just no stagnant ranking really anymore… even if there was a ranking at this point would it be:

S NewJeans, IVE, G Idle

A Aespa

—-between—- illit???

B Le Sserafim i couldnt even place another group here i guess?

C and below StayC????

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

• I agree with you that the rankings are inconclusive as there's no gg clearly dominating in all, unlike how it used to be with twice and then bp in the past when it couldn't be argued, nowadays 4th gen ggs are all doing well simultaneously, ppl argue more to say which one is doing least well and then the least well still is very well lol.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I agree with you that the rankings are inconclusive as there's no gg clearly dominating in all, unlike how it used to be with twice and then bp in the past when it couldn't be argued, nowadays 4th gen ggs are all doing well simultaneously, ppl argue more to say which one is doing least well and then the least well still is very well lol.

Also why is this a gg issue???? WHY ARENT THE BOYS FIGHTING?

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

• I do agree a lot of it seems arbitrary and with how popular kpop is globally now it's really impossible to say which group is the most popular/dominant. and it's kind of stupid to just restrict it to looking at one metric or region for a certain group.

I think some of the fans of 4th gen groups want to think their faves are untouchable like BP/BTS were in their prime but they are outliers. Like you said it is really just ups and downs for every group and even the biggest groups can have weak releases.

• let me reiterate this for the millionth time (as it certainly won't be the last)

METRICS

DATA

CRITERIA

WEIGHTING

etc etc

argue about those and the "rankings" will get easier

the question isn't who is number one or two B tier or A tier it's what criteria are one using to justify such...

let's take something as simply as album sales

do we measure:

overall sales?

sales per year?

sales per album?

does it matter if a group releases 20million versions compared to a group that sells less versions

do digipacks count as a sale

what if groups release expensive special versions that are more expensive?

hanteo vs circle?

(and that's just off the top of my head)

• I think people got a little too used to the years long success streaks of 3rd gen girl groups and forgot that when the market is as oversaturated as it is now(similer to 2nd gen) yes there will be the top group but they wont be bagging every single award and they won't be responsible for every single hit. On the girl group side 4th gen feels like a repeat of 2nd gen.

• like this is so arbitrary.

Of COURSE it's arbitrary

Ranking and tiering kpop groups is childish and puerile silliness done by dunces that reduce enjoyment of kpop to competitive ranked sports based on stats and numbers and charts.

There is ZERO need to rank groups. ZERO need to put them on tier groups. The only ranking that really matters is how much YOU enjoy them. An A-tier group vs a B-tier group should be based purely on you like that A-tier group more than you like B-tier groups. Eg my A-tier groups are Itzy, aespa, weeekly, XG. Le Sserafim is B-tier. One of the worlds most popular GG's is D-Tier for me, as is Baemon and Illit.

Also why is this a gg issue???? WHY ARENT THE BOYS FIGHTING?

Because gg's attract more male fans than bg's do, and it's mostly male fans that reduce enjoyment of kpop into competitive pissing contests about numbers and stats and who is "in the lead" instead of jsut enjoying the music, the content, the fun of it all.

Mostly weird miscreants and rankpoops do that

• OP raises good points

I think the cause is that kpop became global. Now groups can be almost nugu or low mid tier in Korea and still be huge. Look at Stray Kids. They're one of the biggest groups in Kpop ever, but you wouldn't be able to tell if you looked at their numbers in Korea.

Before it was pretty clear-cut . Whoever did well in Korea, usually was the same group that did well amongst a much smaller circle of Kpop fans around the rest of the world.

Now you have groups that do well in Korea, groups that do well in Japan, groups that do well in SEA, individual idols that do well in China (they seem more focused on individuals than groups), groups that do well in the US, groups that do well in India, South America, Europe, Africa.

One group might do well in Korea, but not really get those international fans. SEA can be hugely influential. Most obvious example is Blackpink which got enormous support from them from the start.

Everybody still wants to do well on hot 100, but groups can easily survive in other countries without American popularity.

It is far less clear cut who is above who therefore.

Is the group with lots of strongly supporting solo stans in China more popular than a group that does well in Korea only?

Is a low notation on Hot 100 more important than medium popularity in Japan?

Is strong SEA support more important than strong support from Europe and some support from the US?

what if group A does very well in Korea, somewhat well in Japan, did a great arena tour in Europe, while group B does nothing in Korea and Japan, but got 96th on the Hot 100, has huge popularity in India and has a successful tour covering the Middle East and did some arenas in SEA?

And then we have to look at so many factors:

streaming services in Korea, Japan, China, Spotify, Youtube, Apple, whatever else people huge.

Charts in many different parts of the world.

Sales

Social media engagement.

Touring in different areas.

It-status for members in different countries

It's almost impossible to rank unless one group clearly does better in almost all ways.

Like, we can say: AESPA is more popular than Weeekly, but AESPA vs (G)I-dle? I wouldn't know.

Edited 3 times, last by Fansamy ().

• This exactly articulates my point to the t

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!