i know bp don't don't dominate in japan

• but why people act like they are nobodies there when they sold out arena tours all over japan and THEN dome tours in 2019-2020??

lsg also peaked at 12 on japan bb100 and the album charted at number 4 on their 200 equivalent?

not just anyone can sell dome tours there so why people acting like they aren't popular there either?

• Am not going to lie. I was one of those blinks who thought the dome tour was going to be a bust. I did not see how they were going to sell out the tour.

I was pleasantly surprised

• Am not going to lie. I was one of those blinks who thought the dome tour was going to be a bust. I did not see how they were going to sell out the tour.

I was pleasantly surprised

bc antis acting like they're nobodies there, like yeah they might not be number 1 but they're still popular there too

• Their Japanese success is impressive, if only they got original Japanese songs... sadly YG can't even deliver original Korean songs most of the time :peperain:

well bp :pepecute: releasing a japanese original song will probably never happen

• that they sell a "dome tour" does not mean that they are popular, many Japanese attend concerts out of curiosity (applies to any artist), they are still a niche act, irrelevant for the Japanese GP

• that they sell a "dome tour" does not mean that they are popular, many Japanese attend concerts out of curiosity (applies to any artist), they are still a niche act, irrelevant for the Japanese GP

So then who is relevant to the japanese gp according to you? BTS are probably the closest to that and mainly because of dynamite in recent times. Whatever your answer is it is not even relevant to what OP said btw, she never stated bp are mainstream in japan or something, just that they are one of the top groups there, which is still true based on their streaming certification, touring and sales

• So then who is relevant to the japanese gp according to you? BTS are probably the closest to that and mainly because of dynamite in recent times. Whatever your answer is it is not even relevant to what OP said btw, she never stated bp are mainstream in japan or something, just that they are one of the top groups there, which is still true based on their streaming certification, touring and sales

no kpop act is relevant to the GP, not even japanese idols are, the only really popular idol acts are Arashi, and maybe nogi and kinpuri (not even suno is)

They are not the best K-groups either, there are at least 10 kpop groups (male and female) with better sales than them

• no kpop act is relevant to the GP, not even japanese idols are, the only really popular idol acts are Arashi, and maybe nogi and kinpuri (not even suno is)

They are not the best K-groups either, there are at least 10 kpop groups (male and female) with better sales than them

Alright, but you were the one who brought gp up to the convo so I keep failing to see the point of you mentioning it.

And yes there are quite a few groups with more sales... because bp literally dont release original japanese singles or albums. They compensate by having several streaming certifications unlike most of these groups who sell more

• no kpop act is relevant to the GP, not even japanese idols are, the only really popular idol acts are Arashi, and maybe nogi and kinpuri (not even suno is)

Yes but a lot of those popular KPOP groups aren't around any more like KARA, SNSD (for the most part) or they just don't produce that much music in Japan any more like BoA.

Also SnowMan is doing pretty well over there esp for just starting up and NiziU even though they didn't have the huge sales is quite popular.

edit: but getting off the track. BP is fairly popular of todays groups "relatively" in Japan for non Japanese releases among KPOP groups. They are probably in the top 10 at least. They don't dominate but they aren't nobodies.

• i would agree that BP isnt nobody in japan. To think otherwise is delulu, as evidenced by the numbers of songs certified bg RIAJ.

But it seems like YG is not targeting Japan for BP.

YG didnt ship BP there like how it did with iKon.

So far, BP only did dome tours there and released some compilation albums and Japanese versions

• It's because of the poor physical sales that's all. That decides everything in K-pop doesn't it. Actually lsg charting is not that great they have had singles which charted much better.

no kpop act is relevant to the GP, not even japanese idols are, the only really popular idol acts are Arashi, and maybe nogi and kinpuri (not even suno is)

U have issues , bc no where in my thread did i speak about the gp, GET HELP

• It's because of the poor physical sales that's all. That decides everything in K-pop doesn't it. Actually lsg charting is not that great they have had singles which charted much better.

Like which singles , i kind of only mentioned lsg bc it's the one i saw

• Japanese students love bp more

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There is a gap but not like a gap is very huge given limited songs released by BP.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• kpop fans have no concept of "nuance" in their minds if you aren't the indisputable #1 that completely dominates a market, then you're a "flop"

[+808,8] Jennie wears high heels larger than your oppa's dick, sit down

Animated GIFAnimated GIF

• Tbh BP popularity in Japan is really weird as we can't say for sure where they stand. Bc China they are the top gg, S.K. since last year too, SEA too, just ww they are the top1 gg and then we have Japan where they sell out dome tours, have a lot of streaming certifications and even appears behind BTS and Twice in some polls so yes, it's confusing bc they are not the "top", but for sure they are popular there at least in the kpop niche.

Anyways, they can achieve more there, but it seems this is not the plan in YGE for them, but they are still popular.

• ill-pray-4-u is it true? Since you are the dude who lived in Japan

I still live here in Japan, for many years now at this point.

BP is an interesting case. Most of the groups that sell extremely well (physically) are groups that rely on men or younger kids (Twice and Izone for example), or fangirls (BTS, Seventeen for example). The high school/college demographic never buys much for music these days, which unfortunately is BP's main demographic. It's a small age group, but BP does extremely well in that niche. That demographic does attend concerts and things in the category of "experiences" at a much higher rate than younger audiences, which explains their touring success but lack of a "major" selling album in Japan.

You might think the demographic thing I'm talking about is exaggerated, but I'll end with this information.

If I go to a Karaoke room in an area with a lot of families and young kids, the recent history that shows up, as well as the top 10/50/100 most sung songs at that location, will show a LOT of Twice and Izone songs with little to no Blackpink songs listed.
    If I go to a Karaoke room near a major high school or university, you will see more BP songs and at a much higher rank (and often enough the only group under BTS if it's later in the evening).

Each area of Japan has slightly different tastes though.

• Blackpink has chance to be really huge eventhough they rarely promote there. Lisa is apparently popular but again, they dont really promote in Japan. They dont even release japanese songs

BTS is relevant tbh. Arashi is way too big to be compared with BTS, they basically own Japan. Kinpuri is kinda comparable but no really tho. But BTS is huge there although not as huge as household names but still

Twice is kinda relevant but their peak was TT and Wake Me Up Currently Nogi is the most popular female idol group, i dont think Twice will be able to compete with them. Even AKB is eclipsed by Nogi by large margin. Nogi members are very popular like Saito Asuka, Ikuta Erika. I dont think Twice will be able to hit it really big again but they will keep growing. As for individual, Sana has A MASSIVE chance to be a really huge like ex-Nogi member Shirashi Mai.

The reason why Twice is relevant is because they once nominated in Japan Record Award for Grand Prix (the equivalent of SOTY) with 'Wake Me Up'. Competing against Nogizaka (the winner), Keyakizaka, Da Pump, AKB48, Nishino Kana, etc.

TL;DR. Kpop is still consider as niche act in Japan but not BTS and Twice. Both BTS and Twice are relevant but not as big as household names

• BTS is currently the most important male K-pop act, the problem is that outside of fandom, people see them as "that Korean act", people don't know who the members are. But of course, that happens with all K-pop acts, the only exceptions were THSK and KARA

• Exactly, they are pretty successful there, and I have no doubt they would be even more so if YG actually made the effort to create original Japanese songs for them.

• I do think a full original Japanese single release with physicals would help in fandom growth for bp. This was an interesting read. The demographic everywhere does play a role. Certain type of music resonates more with teens and the other with youth and another type with middle aged people.

°⨳°·..·°⨳°⊹٭ 𝓙𝓞𝓨 ٭⊹°⨳°·..·°⨳°

e59e7135c19a6341cc1e93725017b2ba7130662a.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv 87421ed4a49499627715cb8666cc133529df9593.gifv 6c1d54386949e369c7a401c21503a4af7b66a053.gifv b2fee2c558a21bd6472498e040b6dad3a40db33e.gifv

• Tbh BP popularity in Japan is really weird as we can't say for sure where they stand. Bc China they are the top gg, S.K. since last year too, SEA too, just ww they are the top1 gg and then we have Japan where they sell out dome tours, have a lot of streaming certifications and even appears behind BTS and Twice in some polls so yes, it's confusing bc they are not the "top", but for sure they are popular there at least in the kpop niche.

Anyways, they can achieve more there, but it seems this is not the plan in YGE for them, but they are still popular.

For kpop GGs, Blackpink is up there. Just that Twice remains the biggest thus far. Twice is more established there

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!