Is it bodyshaming to complain when an idol loses weight or lightens skin? Yooa and a poll if anyone cares.

• Which version of Yooa do you find more attractive in terms of body proportions (not face)? 11

1. 2016 Yooa (9) 82%
    2. 2024 Yooa (2) 18%

Here is Yooa in 2016. To me, she is fixin here to compete with Lisa herself for the best body in Kpop. Notice also her naturally tanner skin tone compared to other members.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here is Yooa in 2024. Notice the super pale skin and infuriating weight loss.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So is it ok for me to whine and plead for Yooa to return to her former glory? Or is it considered creepy body shaming/policing since imma uncle fan? And if folks care enough, please enter a vote for the poll...i am curious what beauty standards folks have here for body proportions.

As an aside, only in Kpop do we have to worry about our faves losing too much weight as they get older smdh...most of us boomers are packing way too much weight compared to our glory days ;(.

• Severe weight loss is a genuine concern when you're dealing with an industry like Kpop. It's only "bodyshaming" if you're using it to hate on the person.

Skin lightening is a contentious subject. We all have our preferences, but there's some nasty cultural baggage involved.

• She looks pretty either way... Maybe it's a personal taste, similar to guys who work out to get a bigger body. Maybe it's ed.. who knows. I think it's iffy to talk about bodies and compare bodies because some ppl naturally have different types of bodies, you know. We dont know what are the circustances that led her to achieve her current body and talking wont change a thing, so imo it's better to just stay silent about things like these. My body is naturally skinny like hers in the 2nd video and I do think she looks better in the 1st. I dislike comparisons because u cant change how ppl look just by saying things.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• She looks pretty either way... Maybe it's a personal taste, similar to guys who work out to get a bigger body. Maybe it's ed.. who knows. I think it's iffy to talk about bodies and compare bodies because some ppl naturally have different types of bodies, you know. We dont know what are the circustances that led her to achieve her current body and talking wont change a thing, so imo it's better to just stay silent about things like these. My body is naturally skinny like hers in the 2nd video and I do think she looks better in the 1st. I dislike comparisons because u cant change how ppl look just by saying things.

This is a good point. My frustration is mostly due to my assumption that she intentionally lost this weight to conform to krazy knet beauty standards (i'm remembering that nasty greasy haired dude complaining about Sulli's forearms or shins or something ridiculous like that).

External Content youtu.be

So it's more a frustration against these shitty norms than her actually, and idols being pressured to conform to this or risk losing "popularity". The same thing has happened to some of my other faves like Yuri and Yena, they are shells of their former selves ;(;(;( .

But you are right, there could be other reasons for weight loss, just as there are for weight gain.

• I think YooA said herself in recent interview that she worked hard and lost 3-4 kilograms

but whatever she does the fat on cheeks doesn't want to die down

there was even another follow up article when YooA and Roh Jong Eui (actress) both talked that they shouldn't earlier say that they have such low weight, etc.

another point is that for previous promotions she was filming outdoor mv's in Spain if I remember well

it was the same for some part of Oh My Girl MV's which were filmed outdoor

also there was talk in different article that few female Idols seems like they put make up also on their upper body when they are going out to make skin brighter

it's same weird shit like that recent trend of drawing 'cleavage' line when make up artists are drawing an vertical line and darkening it to make seem female Idols chest to look more full...

• Its Korean beauty standards vs. the rest of the world.

The rest of the world has a general preference for curvier and darker tones.

Korea is an outlier preferring what they prefer, which is unhealthy and expensive.

It also explains why certain groups are not as successful globally as they are in Korea.

• This is a good point. My frustration is mostly due to my assumption that she intentionally lost this weight to conform to krazy knet beauty standards

She did. She said recently that she doesn't drink alcohol around comebacks to "watch her weight," like she's in any danger of becoming overweight. And the rest of the interview made her sound like a raging alcoholic, so that's how you know she put some effort into being this skinny.

• She did. She said recently that she doesn't drink alcohol around comebacks to "watch her weight," like she's in any danger of becoming overweight. And the rest of the interview made her sound like a raging alcoholic, so that's how you know she put some effort into being this skinny.

This saddens me. Someone else said she went on a diet and lost 8 pounds for this comeback. I'm like where did she find 8 lbs to lose? ;(

• I think it's okay to talk about it if there is a genuine concern that someone is overweight or underweight.

Otherwise, none of your business.

As for lightening or tanning, that's also personal choice that's none of our business but I don't see a problem in having an opinion on whether it looks better or worse on a particular person. Tbh, I don't really see the difference with that and dying your hair. You can go to the beach and tan or you can stay indoors and be less tan.

• Skin Lightening is no different from Skin Bronzing as both seem to be "wrong" depending on the morons' opinion.

Weight loss for an Idol is fine if it's from a balanced diet and exercise regime as most Idols have very poor eating habits, that's easily spotted when they "starve" themselves. TWICE's Sana and JiHyo are good examples of healthy weight loss as they adjusted their eating habits and incorporated an exercise plan.

Body Shaming for Idols that don't match with the "Ideal Visual Weight" and it's as vague as that because it's a fan opinion, is largely due to the Idol Image as even Non-Idols in SK have that same scrutiny over them if they are in the Idol Age between Teens and Mid-20s.

I'm definitely in the 2016 bracket for YooA because I'm not a huge fan of Professional Marathon Runners' builds, it doesn't matter if they are healthy but most of them look like bone bags :P

• It's not just Korea, but also in East Asia too where they prefer skinny/slim bodies and milky, pale clear skin tones.

But this is part of the industry they're working in. Camera naturally makes someone look chubbier and everyone has to diet to present the unrealistic standards of being a celebrity. If you don't, you will look out of place compared to everyone else who are dieting and look slim and flawless and all that, and you will be criticised for not taking care of your body and not thinking about your fans and all that comes with it etc.

Kang Mina said this on her livestream before, but commoners have no reason to starve themselves and to follow the strict routine that idols and celebrities have to. And that being skinny is not the only beauty standard out there and that she only does it because it's her job.

• Well, the who said this is a skinny, toothy teenager boy. I didn't even take it seriously when I looked at the person who stated this. :pepe-narrow-eyes: I would probably tell the teenager that you should gain weight and gain muscle. If it were me, I would insist that there is no fat in my body that I need to lose weight. ;judgingpepe:

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!