By the time NewJeans' first contract expires, they will be the most popular girl group in K-Pop history

• Keep telling yourself that I guess

Just facts. It was still just a Big 3 when BP debuted and YG were still in their peak years, just a year removed from Big Bang's massive MADE album.

Who cares about privilege? BP didn't come from some small struggling label. YG is publicly traded :pepe-joy:

• I can’t tell. How long is their contract?

I once thought no GG music will have the same reach as Blackpink’s songs but Newjeans is proving my thoughts wrong. We can’t tell how popular GGs will be the next gen.

7 years, the standard length. NewJeans is putting up video game numbers right now. They're chasing down most of BlackPink's records in the West while snatching basically every single record in Korea.

• Just facts. It was still just a Big 3 when BP debuted and YG were still in their peak years, just a year removed from Big Bang's massive MADE album.

Who cares about privilege? BP didn't come from some small struggling label. YG is publicly traded :pepe-joy:

I didn't say that privilege is bad. I wished my faves had more privilege

I just said that with all the privilege they had which might be on par with many other top groups, and also especially considering how big KPOP is now compared to 8 years ago, it would be weird if they didnt live up to it.

I don't know why you feel offended about it. I didn't say "oh they are popular only because they had privilege" and I didn't downplay them. And nowhere in my original statement did I say that NJs is big ONLY because of privilege.

It is more of with all the help they could get it would be embarrassing if they didn't live up to the expectations.

This is no an exact example, but imagine if a musical group called Fried Chicken was in the biggest company in the music industry, collabed with Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, and still didn't manage to be one of the top groups in the music industry, THAT would be embarrassing for their life and soul.

Or like a kid who has a billionaire Dad and given 1billion dollars to start a business, it would be embarrassing if with all that money and he still fails.

Kourtney Kardashian GIFs | Tenor

You are the one who said that NJs are already breaking BP records and everything so yes I do think with the added privilege they get it would be embarassing if they didn't dethrone them in 6 years time

• Not possible to tell at this time, we need two more years to see how things goes for them, but I doubt they will be as popular in two years as they where their debut year.

• I think that's a ridiculous take and a not so subtle way of downplaying their accomplishments.

All the privilege in the world doesn't guarantee you'll have the most successful career of any girl group in history.

The framing of NewJeans historically brilliant start to their careers as "psshh well they should do that with all that privilege" just comes off as sour grapes and it blatantly diminishes what they've been able to accomplish.

Let me tell you something.

NewJeans didn't occupy #1, #2 and #3 on every chart in Korea for 3 consecutive months, the first time we've EVER seen that, because of privilege.

They didn't put FIVE songs on the Billboard Hot 100 in a calendar year, just because of privilege.

They didn't outsell the Barbie OST because of privilege.

Super Shy wasn't the most globally critically acclaimed girl group song ever just because of privilege.

I could go on.

You don't have to agree with the statement posed by this topic, but let's be real. If NewJeans continues to ascend and make girl group history, it won't be because of privilege, it will be because people love their music around the world.

Privilege might give you a headstart, but it's not enough to carry you to the finish line. Ever. And since we're comparing them to the lines of BlackPink, it's an irrelevant talking point. BP had tons of privilege too.

• Ok work

• unless if bp is completely inactive from now. It is hard to tell their success can outshine bp, I mean blackpink it's close to one and half year bp release new music and still outstreaming every girl group that too without big catalouge like other groups.

• The reality is, you can't do it on your own and for the 2nd and 3rd generations, GGs had 2Ne1 and BlackPINK, GG Idol Hip Hop Groups that stretch the Concept range from GGs like SNSD and TWICE. It's like a Net that captures fans in between those extremes of Concepts where other GGs fish.

NJ's are more in the mould of SNSD and TWICE so they need an equivalent Idol Hip Hop Group to carry the 4th Gen to legacy status. Bae Monster isn't that group, leaving us to see what The Black Label GG has to offer.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!