what are some other ways to make girl groups become as sustainable as boy groups?

• it's a well known fact that boy group are more sustainable than girl group and its been like that since 1st generation, although most girl group reach higher peak during their career, but it didnt last long thus lead to disbandment. for example, the only active 3rd gen girl group are TWICE, RV and OMG. MAMAMOO will probably do comeback 1.5 years per comeback and god knows whats the fate for BLACKPINK.

when i said sustainable, it didnt include "special" comeback like KARA and SNSD, but more like consistent & frequent comeback like Beast, SHINee and TVXQ. do you think theres any ways for girl group to become sustainable a.k.a frequent comeback? why cant girl groups consistently promoting as a group just like other 2nd gen boy group, even if they are not doing as well as before?

• Apink and BB girls are still out there putting out music representing the 2nd Generation.

Viviz is a 4th gen group, but they are really 3rd gen members.

Extending the list, here are some 2nd Generation groups with recent comebacks

Name Status Last comeback
    Apink active 2023
    Brave Girls active 2023
    Gavy NJ Hiatus 2021
    Big Mama Hiatus 2022
    KARA Hiatus 2022
    Girls' Generation Hiatus 2022
  • Apink and BB girls are still out there putting out music representing the 2nd Generation.

Viviz is a 4th gen group, but they are really 3rd gen members.

BB girls isnt 2nd gen tho, the current lineup debuted on 3rd gen era

yup apink is the only one who representing 2nd gen

why does it have to be a special comeback that take 5 years for girl group (fr SISTAR19) unlike other 2nd group like tvxq or highlight? its not like the bg doing that well either

and why girl group member tend to go for solo music career when the possibility of it to become big is very unlikely.. imagine if the member of wonder girl or sistar still stick together to make music instead of every one of them going solo (and only one really made it to the scene)..they can gather more profit by promoting as a group

• I feel like;

1. fans decide that. If GGs had as many female fans as BGs, then it'd be possible. For some reason, I think girls stan much harder than boys. And, boys outgrow things faster.

2. Marriage. Girls have more pressure when it comes to marriage. I've seen SNSD discuss when to marry if they want kids and all that. Boys don't. So naturally, age catches up to girls faster than it does boys and that's also why they get abandoned easily by fans.

3. I think it's possible for GGs to live longer if members don't choose full time solo work over group work. And I think, their contracts with companies also push them in that direction. Labels know that BGs live longer, so believe they're given better terms yo keep them around more compared to GGs.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• BB girls isnt 2nd gen tho, the current lineup debuted on 3rd gen era

yup apink is the only one who representing 2nd gen

why does it have to be a special comeback that take 5 years for girl group (fr SISTAR19) unlike other 2nd group like tvxq or highlight? its not like the bg doing that well either

and why girl group member tend to go for solo music career when the possibility of it to become big is very unlikely.. imagine if the member of wonder girl or sistar still stick together to make music instead of every one of them going solo (and only one really made it to the scene)..they can gather more profit by promoting as a group

I updated my list.

• I think the core of the problem is how girlgroups are marked since their rookie years. Usually, their dynamics and chemistry as groups don't inspire a loyal hardcore following. Most of them do less fanservice and are less open about themselves than the men — most likely cause they are more cautious, since anything they say or do can escalate to scandal — so It's harder to create a narrative around the female groups that will make the audience build a strong emotional connection. Biggest part of K-pop demography treats them as disposable.

The way they are treated by the community (or even general public) makes the girlgroup members less confident to count on their group careers for longer. So they prefer to give priority to other career paths where they feel they would be more valued as they get older and less fresh.

Bankai: Minazuki

85e1d14897360f5af5426181e6b1e605126ab548.gifv

• not only to focus on gp in their initial years but focusing on establishing a strong and loyal fandom. gp is fickle, loyal fandom lasts longer and is your moneymaker.

• 1 - empower the members to produce, write, choreograph, etc. keep the passion for the arts high and keeps things interesting so they don't burn out and leave. all that stuff invites critics to evaluate the group in different ways and critical acclaim keeps your work timeless

2 - globalise your fandom. rely less on the infantilization that happens in traditional (male-dominated) GG audiences in SK and Japan

3- write better songs and update your sounds. don't get stuck on the one sound that went big on Melon that one time. don't be a meme

4- a little bit of restraint is good, esp. when it comes to fanservice - it sets a bad precedent and attracts the wrong kind of audience (who will just move on to prettier, shinier things)

• why cant girl groups consistently promoting as a group just like other 2nd gen boy group, even if they are not doing as well as before?

Maybe the gg members don't want to do group work anymore? Bigbang the most popular 2nd gen group have all parted their ways say unlike suju and shinee. At the end it also depends on the members.

If I am not wrong sistar went seprate ways even tho the group never flopped hard.

Take gfriend members. Even after disbandment 3 girls formed a group because they want to and the others went their way. Same for loona members.

YIREN

e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv fab59363da33ef51baa656716577e60cdb9b2fd2.gifv 084b4b1830b2175bbfe169388158c289cc0b861f.gifv 9a71235e38fac2f4f9e1daf62b01efee6e4923bf.gifv e2ab9f65c50ad7b933ecb52f941f1493d96d8704.gifv

• It is mainly age issue. Female idol group just wont attract many new fans + old fans will start leaving when they got married or move on to newer + younger GGs

i think many of the GGs can actually continue for a little longer BUT they decided to stop. Sistar, Apink, Blackpink, SNSD, Mamamoo they all were still successful with their last release before they decided to take longer hiatus between comebacks / less frequent comeback.

Female idols are not stupid. Most of them realise the need to venture into something else to survive longer in the entertainment industry. Many of them tried venture into acting, some strong vocalist into solo singer. They just decided to do it much earlier than their male counterparts. Because for them, it is much higher risk. Need to strike the iron while hot. Moving to acting career at older age is disadvantage too

Edit: on the topic, how GGs can make themselves more sustainable. I think

1) cater more towards female fans, they are more loyal than male fans

2) cater the music to public. At least if fan leave you, you still have the public recognition

3) Dont tire out your fans. They are not cashcows. Too many comeback result in fatigue and some fans will give up following. Stick to a reasonable gap between comebacks

4) take the gap to work on side career, but must stay loyal to the group. Always easier and more acceptable to build solo career when you're still part of the group, than leaving the group (and thus breaking it) to pursue solo career

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!