BlackPink, Empathy and the Parasocial Relationship

• I just had an out of body experience reading through hundreds of tweets and posts through threads and threads of the BlackPink contract re-signing.

First and foremost I’m guilty of speculating and “knowing what’s best” for the girls, I’m guilty of defending why they shouldn’t sign back pretty loudly, honestly. I’ve seen people defend YG, I’ve seen people attack YG.

It feels so strange that all of us are talking about these 5 separate entities, the 4 girls and 1 YG (the man/the myth/the entire company that embodies his decisions because they vote on them) as if we know them personally. Even if we look at one of the girls, Rosé, there’s so much more behind the scenes. There’s her parents, her dog, her managers, her staff, her friends and her off stage persona. We don’t know anything about any of those interactions and she’s reading through these comments trying to form her own decision, or grappling with her decision that she’s already made, just like every other human. I can go on twitter at any given moment and look up “blackpink” and in the first loaded tweets something about their contract comes up. Every. Single. Day. I’m starting to change my tune on this situation, and probably more situation’s regardless of the celebrity, to be more empathic.

There’s a lot of speculation that runs around about what could possibly be holding them up, or what stops the girls from coming back, or what comeback schedule the girls deserve, or how they personally feel and it just is all wrong. Its all maybe a little right, but its all definitely a lot more wrong.

Let’s take a look at the “money” (no pun intended because it was accidental, but i like the coincidence) making discussion, Lisa.

She’s a sl*t, she’s got a “dirty spoon” in her mouth, she’s a foreign invader, she’s a gold digger and she’s a mega-successful popstar. She’s juggling these brandings from the public, along with extreme praise from her supporters and this is truly where my empathy lies the deepest. I can’t imagine being Lisa. If it was me in that situation, I can see wanting to stay to continue my success JUST to prove the public wrong. But I can also see wanting to quit completely just to escape the scrutiny that probably only Britney Spears understands. She’s dealt with and is dealing with those constant comments and is now also taking on the flood of support for and against re-signing and I can’t help but wonder….

What do they really want?

Thank you, selfmate for asking this question.

This has been running through my mind so much recently with western artists. After reading Britney’s book, and now I’m moving onto Julia Fox’s… I’m starting to really wonder. Where is the line?

There’s an invisible demarcation that indicates where the celebrity space exists, where the celebrity actually exists, where the fans as individuals think, where the mob mentality lies and lastly, where the rumors create speculation.

This situation is so nuanced and KPop is so secretive, while at the same time evolving at such a rapid pace that there really is no way to really understand what is going on inside of these conglomerate buildings.

Can’t help but wonder, no matter what your intentions are, is trying to add your opinion, and by extension more weight to each side of this scale, really what they want?

I think this is where the line starts. Speculation about a celebrity as a person, beyond what we’ve explicitly been told, is where the parasocial relationship truly begins to breakdown into toxicity. People are people regardless of your hopes and dreams for them. Regardless of what plays through your headphones everyday, or what video you stream on YouTube, those dancers, the singers, the production staff, their CEOs. They all go home, they all experience loss, they all get anxious when making a personal decision. They all get anxious when somebody criticizes them on a personal level. Its one thing to critique management, maybe scheduling if its warranted, or even performance… but personal choice? No.

There’s a line that needs to be redrawn because we’re currently trampling it. I hope that everybody in BlackPink at the end of the day does what they want. I hope that the fans are empathetic enough to celebrate the decision they each come to, and i hope that we all stop fueling this toxic relationship of speculation and rumor and let these people have some peace.

'*•.¸♡ NewJeans ♡¸.•*'

all this time. . . .。・:*˚:✧。

• I said basically this months ago. A majority of Akp blinks, since I don’t go on twitter/IG/etc, assume that the delay with the contracts has everything to do with the girls wanting to negotiate for something better in the name of BlackPink. They simply cannot fathom that maybe, just maybe, the girls would like to explore doing other things than just being a Kpop idol. A lot of blinks can’t help but project their wants and needs onto the girls and claim to know that is exactly what they want out of life moving forward.

• I said basically this months ago. A majority of Akp blinks, since I don’t go on twitter/IG/etc, assume that the delay with the contracts has everything to do with the girls wanting to negotiate for something better in the name of BlackPink. They simply cannot fathom that maybe, just maybe, the girls would like to explore doing other things than just being a Kpop idol. A lot of blinks can’t help but project their wants and needs onto the girls and claim to know that is exactly what they want out of life moving forward.

Bp in their last monthly magazines and interviews/weverse updates: we love bp and blinks, we hope to be together for a long time with blinks

The problem here is kpop stans like u think they KNOW bp, think they don't like bp or blinks, think they don't like touring or making music when they said it. We go by the words they said in official material, fan basing their perspective in words the own artist said it's all they can do but u base your words in "maybe, just maybe"

Where tf that maybe even come from

Go read rosé last interview bc it drop hours ago or jisoo weverse update of some days ago bc it's YOU all who think u can read minds

• What do they really want?

Thank you, selfmate for asking this question.

which as a bp fan is the ultimate conundrum right?

since if the pinks want out - want to do more of their own thing that means less BP stuff - less music less content less touring (even less so than currently???? is that even possible??? lol) - that's not really good for us as fans of the group is it?

also certain fans think that if they leave YG then it's over for "BP" as a brand but again I'll say that lots of other groups have their members go separate directions but remain in the group per se even if they are under different companies for their own solo projects...

and lastly as I have stressed over and over again GG as a whole DO NOT renew with all members renewing with the same company they started with...there has been three in the entire history of kpop - twice, dreamcatcher, mamamoo* (if I'm mistaken let me know) - the norm is that GG member move on and even as BP fans we must acknowledge that history is not in the pinks favour

But BP members have been exploring other things than being idols for years now

• I'm fine with whatever they want and always have been, even if it's not YG or BP.

But I like hearing them sing and I'm worried that's just not gonna happen for Rosie if she stays. But she's the rich girl with not only a huge legal team but also a family full of lawyers so she's probably clawed a really good deal for herself

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• where's the tldr

what do the girls really want

DAE think of the paradox of being a celebrity and the consideration vs the expectation of privacy

OP wants a line drawn but also is unable to withstand being curious

:*:saint:;(:finger-heart::*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*

• But BP members have been exploring other things than being idols for years now

You mean CFs and magazine covers with acting roles and brand partnerships thrown in? Isn’t that typical idol behavior, especially these days? I’m sorry but do you think those are the only career paths in existence for them? I really am not trying to be rude because you as a user on here seem to be one of the few that is respectful so don’t take my words as an offense because I really am curious.

• You mean CFs and magazine covers with acting roles and brand partnerships thrown in? Isn’t that typical idol behavior, especially these days? I’m sorry but do you think those are the only career paths in existence for them? I really am not trying to be rude because you as a user on here seem to be one of the few that is respectful so don’t take my words as an offense because I really am curious.

But what else is there for them? If they want private business they can have that and they probably already do. I doubt they suddenly want to finish college and be doctors, this is career path they chose for themselves.

• But what else is there for them? If they want private business they can have that and they probably already do. I doubt they suddenly want to finish college and be doctors, this is career path they chose for themselves.

Welp, I guess it’s either idol life or “private business” for Blackpink.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!