Somi having the weirdest, most eclectic trajectory of any Kpop idol i've seen.

• Whatever you might think of Somi's talents or personality, the girl jumps off the screen in everything she does. She continues to score massive endorsement/promotional deals and features everywhere, despite her tiny discography. She also has had the weirdest, most eclectic trajectory of any idol i've known.

Just look at this girl...

Sometimes i see Somi randomly dominating the charts back to back after a full 2 year hiatus, and then i see all this content with her and Twice (and Itzy) and i wonder just how different either of those groups would be with Somi. I've said before that Twice would be 10x more successful in the US and even challenge BP for Western dominance with Somi serving as the 4D English ambassador type. And maybe Itzy would be offering a stiffer defense of its 4th gen crown with Somi in the groups, better able to ward off the new upstarts like NJ and Ive.

• Somi leaving JYP was the smartest decision she made.

If she was in Itzy she would have had nothing like the career and visibility she has now in Korea. I doubt her being in Itzy would have changed their trajectory from Top group to 2nd Tier. JYP would have smothered her personal charisma. They would have been too afraid of a Suzy 2.0 to give her the space and opportunities.

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Somi leaving JYP was the smartest decision she made.

If she was in Itzy she would have had nothing like the career and visibility she has now in Korea. I doubt her being in Itzy would have changed their trajectory from Top group to 2nd Tier. JYP would have smothered her personal charisma. They would have been too afraid of a Suzy 2.0 to give her the space and opportunities.

You're probably right. She woulda been better off in Twice but then again she was so young and probably wouldnt have been ready for the pack mule grind that JYP put Twice through in those early years. At least Twice would have been better balanced with members like Tzuyu, Sana, and Nayeon who were each wildly popular in their own right back in the day.

I think for us OT10 fans, a Twice/Somi collab single is the best we can hope for.

• we all know (sorta but yes) that she left JYPE and Itzy precisely because JYPE is a tight arse about solo activities

somi is enjoying life and being a celebrity more than an idol per se...

she gets to release music at her leisure and does plenty of cfs ($$$) and vareity stuff (exposure and increased brand awareness)

what's not to like (from her perspective)

She threw a pitch better than most male celebrities. :pepe-hehe:

• i have never seen Somi dominating charts

im curious, could you show me an example?

Aside from literal IU and Taeyeon, can't think of a single other female soloist that has had two top 10 hits on Melon Daily since Dumb Dumb released in Aug 2021...can you? :pepe-shrug:

Aside from literal IU and Taeyeon, can't think of a single other female soloist that has had two top 10 hits on Melon Daily since Dumb Dumb released in Aug 2021...can you? :pepe-shrug:

"dominated" without even reaching #1?

IU reaches and stays at #1 with nearly zero promotion

even putting them in the same bracket sounds unfair

top10 is good, but its not even close to domination

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• "dominated" without even reaching #1?

top10 is good, but its not even close to domination

Really need for people to calibrate their ideas of success.

Top 10 for a solo act in Korea is very, very, very good.

In fact a solo act, particularly ones who only debut or release sporadically - getting top 100 is a good baselines - if you can get on or near top 100, that's a successful solo release.

Soloists who can get top 20-30 with regularity make entire careers out of it.

Groups have a slightly different rubric, but soloists have a far tougher time cutting through, generally speaking.

Kind of tired of this 'if they don't hit number 1 it's a flop' mentality, but even more so when people don't understand solo works in Korea.

• i never really liked her that much tbh like her past music wasn't my taste at all but after watching her on variety stuff recently she's completely won me over

she's charismatic and funny as hell

ɪ

cf2178e469192fe5d3974a86c101545f41e74afb.gifv

Confirmed that the dude on the left is not gay.

• there's a huge difference between great and "domination"

never said she's flopping

why do you people exaggerate everything

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!