Will any none Asian, East Asian appearing specifically, make it in Dream Academy?

• What is dream academy

ANOTHER kpop reality show to find ANOTHER new girl group, but this time entrants are from all over the world

Meet the 20 Finalists for HYBE x Geffen ‘Dream Academy’ Global Girl Group Contest
    The talented young women will compete over the next few months for a spot in the first-ever HYBE x Geffen Records global girl group.
    www.billboard.com

Lexie and Nayoung OBVIOUSLY number 1

• I think it'd be stupid if they didn't actually have a diverse group.

Especially with the fact this group is in partnership with Geffen and they already have I'LL-IT and any other GGs planned from the other labels (I've heard KOZ and Pledis may be planning GGs). Why would you continue to make a mostly Asian group when you have plenty already?

It'd be dumb to waste this opportunity to actually create a multinational GG. They would be tapping into a lane that is WIDE open right now. Especially if JYPE's approach to A2K doesn't hit the mark and appropriately nail the Western market.

The market is open and ready for a GG.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• What will be interesting is how international/western entertainment media portray the group.

It would be dependent on the final member mix possibly and their music but will int. media portray them as "a kpop girl group with foreign members", which will put them into the kpop niche, or as a genuine "global girl group" along the likes of Spice Girls, 5th Harmony etc, with the kpop linking de-emphasised.

• What will be interesting is how international/western entertainment media portray the group.

It would be dependent on the final member mix possibly and their music but will int. media portray them as "a kpop girl group with foreign members", which will put them into the kpop niche, or as a genuine "global girl group" along the likes of Spice Girls, 5th Harmony etc, with the kpop linking de-emphasised.

I think it depends on the member mix, the songs (which I assume will be sung in English), and if HYBE let's Geffen take the lead or if they choose to take the lead in the marketing. Like, will this be marketed more as a HYBE group or a Geffen group?

With HYBE's partnership with Scooter Braun, which has taken a very sour turn, I assume this was supposed to be their 1st legitimate foray into trying to make a group that appeals predominately to the West. Also, I haven't seen a lot of Koreans paying attentions to this group either, so that makes me think they aren't marketing that hard there, which probably means they will try dissociate themselves from the KPOP tag at some point.

Let's see what the performances look like too. Will the girls be dancing and performing KPOP songs or what?

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• The logical evolution of Kpop is to become global pop.

I've been predicting that by 2025 we'd have our first true non Asian superstar (at the level of Twice/BP/RV/etc) by 2025 and we just might get it with Dream Academy or JYP's group.

God I hope you are dead wrong.

Kpop will be ruined if this comes to pass.

It will lose everything that made it valuable and interesting in the first place.

Man I got into kpop to get away from my own culture.

Now every Sally and Sue in America Town wants to "me too me too me toooooooo" as a kpop idol.

Christ this whole thing will topple.

• the comforting news is that global pop takes influences from whatever is hot and then moves on. it's very likely that kpop will just do its own thing regardless of global pop. Drake didn't kill hip hop, Swedish House Mafia didn't kill house music, they both move along just fine

I know this to be true for kpop because it thrived before the global labels came along

• the comforting news is that global pop takes influences from whatever is hot and then moves on. it's very likely that kpop will just do its own thing regardless of global pop. Drake didn't kill hip hop, Swedish House Mafia didn't kill house music, they both move along just fine

I know this to be true for kpop because it thrived before the global labels came along

I hope for kpop to recede from the Western spotlight sooner rather than later personally.

I know I'm generally against the grain in this regard.

Most seem to want kpop to integrate and merge with the global scene, and specifically it seems the Western centric scene.

• I hope for kpop to recede from the Western spotlight sooner rather than later personally.

I know I'm generally against the grain in this regard.

Most seem to want kpop to integrate and merge with the global scene, and specifically it seems the Western centric scene.

i think people want it because they want their faves to be prosperous/have nice things. Kpop concerts are also amazing with huge crowds. But I understand if you want things to not get diluted also. it's a tough balance that so many genres have had to deal with

• Tell me, when will the west accept an Asian to be a country singer? an Asian to be in Reggaeton? An Asian to be a diva? Like never. Kpop is a stage for Asians to shine, now all of a sudden everybody craps on Kpop for not having ‘diversity’? All of a sudden, Kpop needs to adjust because now whites and blacks are into it, so they “HAVE” to be accepted in the sphere of Asian entertainment? Yeah right, Asians can’t shine in the west… but hey now you dark-skinned and caucasians are being pushy & demanding to be accepted in Asia?!! What kind of entitlement did your parents raise you to have. I really hope the harsh training system in to be a kpop idol will remain and get even harsher so these foreigners wont survive!

• I think there is a decent chance for a token Japanese member since the Japanese market is the 2nd largest globally, and an outside chance for a Chinese member.

• Kpop is teen pop but with Asians and mostly Koreans in a group.

People use to regard boy [pop] groups as the lowest genre. So pop has a lower reputation globally, and teen pop even more so.

• I hope none of them make it, then.

I'm tired of stupid kpop fans using racism card over nothing. This is hybe partnership with geffen, an American music label lol and they obviously will manage this group. Make it make sense. Not you guys pretend they love their Asian artists that much to spend much money to debut half of group full of Asian for a global scale project.

Diversity lol. It is funny to speak about diversity when entertainment industry inmost countries if not all is not.

• There is already a huge Western Music Scene, it is in-fact many times larger than Korea's Music Scene

Why would a Kpop inspired Girl Group with Diverse members be more successful in the West than a Western Pop Music inspired Girl Group with diverse members?

Like why would Black Swan be more popular than Little Mix in the West?

This Doesn't make any sense to me, Seems like a huge waste of time

Asian Artists are trying to break into rich Western Markets, not the other way around

I cant see this group being very successful

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!