Will any none Asian, East Asian appearing specifically, make it in Dream Academy?

• Why would a Kpop inspired Girl Group with Diverse members be more successful in the West than a Western Pop Music inspired Girl Group with diverse members?

In a word, choreo. Judging by the first mission, they will be singing western pop, but performing Kpop choreo. Kpop has dance training/performance down to a science, while western pop barely has a non-nugu group left to even just stand there and sing.

Like why would Black Swan be more popular than Little Mix in the West?

I'd have to hear what they'd come up with in terms of a western pop song, but I don't think they would. Black Swan, who self-identifies as Kpop and sings Kpop songs in Korean, is still working on being accepted in Korea.

Keep in mind Little Mix members were all aspiring soloists who got put together to not waste their public exposure through X Factor - so they weren't even really ideal gg candidates who were properly selected for their visuals and dance skills in addition to their vocals unlike the 20/120,000 chosen for Dream Academy.

That said, it's still a crapshoot and there's no guarantee for success - Spice Girls members were chosen from only 400 candidates at an audition in London almost three decades ago and had such an impact they're still remembered today. What can be said though is that the team that emerges from Dream Academy, each candidate having already bested 6000 others for their spot, will have as good a shot as any atp.

Asian Artists are trying to break into rich Western Markets, not the other way around

Agree. I don't think they'll be looking to chart on Melon rather than Billboard. But if they succeed, they could end up touring Asia like other western artists.

• If I’m reading this correctly, you’re saying that this group will be mostly Asian?

If that’s the case then you are dead wrong. I’m not even seeing more than 1 Asian member in this groups final lineup.

There’s already too many big fandoms from the non Asian girls such as brazil (smaara) and Argentina (Celeste). Lexie fits Korean beauty standards more than the actual Korean contestants (their words not mine) But everything is still up in the air.

The none Asian girls seem to be the main focus. I’m getting a potential spice girls line up. We already have fully Asian groups who’ve reach a global scale, bts, blackpink, newjeans etc

It wouldn’t make sense for this group to be mostly Asian, and I don’t see that happening.

• I think people shouldn't see this as a regular kpop group. It's just a regular western group but debuted by a Korean agency

They are not looking for being accepted on Melon or by koreans, they probably want to target western kpop fans

It's basically a western group inspired by kpop

I don't see why is this so bad. If you don't like it you're not forced to watch

• This debate is the typical push/pull between pro-globalization (merging cultures, de-emphasizing difference) and pro-authenticity (underscoring what makes each culture distinct) viewpoints. There's no right or wrong answer but things also go in cycles. Right now the market rewards an increasingly integrated approach, where K-Pop feels more global/less specific to a culture and Pop in general has become more anyone's game. The lines are blurring and I think it will go in that direction awhile. There may come a time where "returning to the roots" K-Pop is a thing again but a lot of times returns to tradition/a more provincial attitude is affiliated with conservatism which is not something likely to be celebrated by many for obvious reasons.

In short, I think Dream Academy is going for diverse, very global, and very commercial goals based on what commercial goals and strategies mean in the top markets, especially the US.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!