Why Do Big Companies Put "Dozens" In Groups?

• Does anyone know why "dozens" (a.k.a members that dozen sing, dozen dance, and dozen rap nor are they the visual) still are being put in groups when they'll invariably become targets for hate campaigns and akgaes?

Maybe I'm missing some inherent logic or law of the kpop-universe that explains this practice, but it just seems bizarre how BIG companies (with a huge talent pool to chose from) always seem to put at least one lacking person in a group, even in groups with just 4~6 members (so it's not like the need for filler members explains this phenomenon either). I understand when nugu companies do this it's probably because they have like 15 trainees max to chose from, but big companies have hundreds of trainees to chose from and yet....

• I mean what are your definition and examples of a dozen?

I have seen unhinged kpop stans call Taemin that when their own fav cant do no shit

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• K-pop isn't only about singing, dancing, rapping and korean standards for visuals.

Maybe the member you think It's a "dozen" is the english speaker and will help spreading the group's popularity building a widen connection with western audience, or the SEA/Japanese/Chinese member that will bringing in lots of sales for the group, or the member with unconventional visuals for Korea's standard, but appeal to international audience. Maybe they embody the concept of the group the best and has better chemistry with the members than others more talented. Maybe the agency set them to be the variety star etc

And there's always the possibility you think someone is a "dozen", because you are not into the group enough and don't have much knowledge about their real skills.

• I mean what are your definition and examples of a dozen?

I have seen unhinged kpop stans call Taemin that when their own fav cant do no shit

The term "dozen" comes from this tweet shading Lucas (former NCT)

Calling Taemin a "dozen" is a misapplication of the term because at the very least (I'm not well versed with Shinee) everyone knows Taemin can dance very well.

• Lmao wtf.

If there is 1 idol that is known for talent, it's him. I know that, despite not even being a stan.

kpop stans are unhinged

The fans who were coming after him stan someone who cant either dance or sing 10 percent as good as him.

This is why cant take the term dozen srsly, it seems like people drop it on whoever they dont like.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Oh. I thought dozen came from "a dime a dozen"

And there's always the possibility you think someone is a "dozen", because you are not into the group enough and don't have much knowledge about their real skills.

Yes, I think no one is really a "useless" member (although most likely replaceable) and some people could only seem lacking because fellow bandmates are too outstanding.

Especially in big 4 companies which you specified

• I truly believe the reason behind this is to give more attention to the more talented idols as far as music schedule is concerned

Sure you can have 7 main vocals in a 9 members group, but what's the point. There will hardly be enough screen time and lines for all them to shine.

Being brutally honest 5 members is enough to any group by fully functional, anything over 7 is an overkill (I'm telling this as a fan of groups with 9 members), but companies keep debuting them regardless because it's good for the group to have variety in visuals and personality

Often the dozens are handsome guys and pretty girls, with good personalities and good interactions with other trainees. They can be from different nationalities to bring attention internationally. They can be future actors and actress, models and variety stars

Since a few talented people in groups is all you truly need you can afford debuting dozens (rather, you might actually want debut dozens) in big groups

• either because their pretty, or have a funny/likable personality. even by saying that, it still confuses me why company's don't want a group balanced out in talent, they want one or two members who struggle with a lot, just to have them weigh down the group? the thought process is wild. something to remember is that the training system is very rigged towards richer trainees, and even if they have no talent, they can still be put into the group.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• either because their pretty, or have a funny/likable personality. even by saying that, it still confuses me why company's don't want a group balanced out in talent, they want one or two members who struggle with a lot, just to have them weigh down the group? the thought process is wild. something to remember is that the training system is very rigged towards richer trainees, and even if they have no talent, they can still be put into the group.

Controversial, but I believe 4th gen groups are actually balanced. Most of them a good to great dancers and bad to worse singers. Even the worst dancer in a 4th gen group would be at least lead dancer material in 2nd gen (main dancer in some groups)

In other hand, we now have 9-members groups with only one real vocalist. Rappers aside (as they can perform very well just rapping) it's not uncommon to have groups with more than half of the members without any vocal training whatsoever.

This is very balanced to me

• Idk I don’t find any talent at all in many of these top group and the people everyone is calling dozen aren’t that far off from people who get praised all the time.

Some idols just get picked on a lot more than others when the truth is kpop has never been talent focused. For the most part.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!