WHAT IS WESTERNIZATION?

• So I see this word used a lot and it's a bit bothersome because it seems to like some catchphrase for anything negative involving the West. Almost as xenophobic as when people in the West talk about the big bad dark side of KPOP. We got Boogeymen everywhere I guess. Tell me AKP, what does this word mean to you?

• This is what ChatGPT says,

Westernization refers to the process by which societies adopt or are influenced by the cultural, social, political, and economic practices and values of the Western world, primarily Europe and North America. It involves the adoption of Western ideas, customs, institutions, technologies, and lifestyles.

Westernization can have both positive and negative effects on societies. On one hand, it can lead to technological advancements, economic growth, improved infrastructure, and increased access to education and healthcare. It can also promote cultural exchange, diversity, and the spread of human rights and democratic values.

However, Westernization can also result in cultural erosion, loss of traditional practices and values, and the marginalization of indigenous cultures. It may create social inequalities, conflicts, and a sense of cultural imperialism as Western influence becomes dominant.

It's important to note that the concept of Westernization is not universally embraced or accepted by all societies. Some cultures may actively resist or selectively adopt Western influences, seeking to maintain their unique identity and traditions.

I think the answer is pretty good. :ok-bee:

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

27dbe724372b809813a823b7367393edb58cad57.gifv

• If you make my thread flop by bringing ChatGPT here :pepe-slash:

And I asked TO YOU. :tea-bee:

• K-pop stans piss me tf off with this warped idea that K-pop is even original. Since I've been a K-pop fan since 2008, ain't NOTHING about K-pop that is original. Enhanced versions of other markets? Yes. But every faucet of K-pop came from the West (US & UK primarily) and Japan.

Its whole model was framed by having its very own knockoff of Public Enemy/MC Hammer in Seo Taiji and The Boys. H.O.T. and G.O.D were knock-off Backstreet Boys. Even Bigbang was a knock-off B2k. BoA was a knock-off Janet Jackson. This list goes on.

K-POP is at its very core POP music from the WEST sung in Korean. I can not take any of these stans saying it's Westernized "now" when it's always been. If they wanted to be puritans, stan the Korean trot singers. That is authentically KOREAN as you can get.

• isn't majority of China west from Korea too?

that's bad!

bad bad bad lol

no but honestly by westernization of kpop I mean I really don't want KPOP artists to make collabs with people who got some criminal record, domestic abuse charges, drugs, theft etc.

and I also don't need that originality of kpop to go away, I'm from Europe, if I need some regular pop song I will just play some radio station...

oh and another point is that some groups seem to move into strategy of performing just one or two times in korean music shows with comeback when they "grow too big", sorry but that's bullshit you can do your performance for Johnny, Jimmy, Janet, Jarod, iHeart Radio, some New York Street not even Square or 7ELEVEN Festival later on.

Without at least one week of proper promotions in k-music tv shows you are not even out from your hiatus lol

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I Edited my response because i basically don't know how to word it but, when I SEE people using westernization it always feels like they are insulting the u.s. of course our country is not perfect but it pisses me off to see such slander all the time...I was so big into "boy groups" in the 90's once that died down i got into other music such as rock etc. Finally allowing myself to get into k-pop DESPITE not knowing a lick of japanese or korean or any other foreign language has brought back the memory of those "boy groups" i grew up with.

I see no difference in backstreet boys, nsync, nkotb etc with bts, nct, up10tion etc. it's all POP MUSIC just different languages. The music, the choreography, the atmosphere, the energy all that is exciting to watch, despite not understanding it.

so I really don't get it.

• Where do they get off saying "kpop is losing their roots!!!" while stanning kpop idol RAPPERS swagging it out with their HIP HOP using AAVE or stanning "SUPERIOR VOCALS" singing RnB/BLUES/JAZZ in Korean???????

They better start stanning that Lim trot singer if they want to capture the essence of stanning Korean music. :eyeroll-pepe:

• If you make my thread flop by bringing ChatGPT here :pepe-slash:

And I asked TO YOU. :tea-bee:

I actually agree with what ChatGPT said. In Kpop context, which is an industry that has already had western influence since the beginning, I can see why some hate it becoming even more "westernized".

International fans get drawn to kpop because it is slightly different from the western mainstream music. It's like exploring new cuisines from other cultures. When chefs and restaurants adjust the dish flavours to suit the western audience, some don't find it as appealing while others might.

As for the definition of westernization, I wasn't sure and that's why I asked ChatGPT.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

27dbe724372b809813a823b7367393edb58cad57.gifv

• According to people in my culture, trading your hijab out for mini skirts

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• K-pop stans piss me tf off with this warped idea that K-pop is even original. Since I've been a K-pop fan since 2008, ain't NOTHING about K-pop that is original. Enhanced versions of other markets? Yes. But every faucet of K-pop came from the West (US & UK primarily) and Japan.

Its whole model was framed by having its very own knockoff of Public Enemy/MC Hammer in Seo Taiji and The Boys. H.O.T. and G.O.D were knock-off Backstreet Boys. Even Bigbang was a knock-off B2k. BoA was a knock-off Janet Jackson. This list goes on.

K-POP is at its very core POP music from the WEST sung in Korean. I can not take any of these stans saying it's Westernized "now" when it's always been. If they wanted to be puritans, stan the Korean trot singers. That is authentically KOREAN as you can get.

Facts. I'm pretty sure the whole point of Kpop was to bring Korea onto the world stage by making trendy music. I don't know where the idea that it was the Korean culture show came from.

If anything, it's becoming less Western now with things like Hanbok performances and traditional music being incorproated into the pop style.

• How is kpop being too westernized when kpop itself literally the response of US pop culture from koreans adapting japanese idol system 😂

Personally, i think international fans/ antis insisting certain kpop groups being too westernized is insidious because (1) they’re claiming erasure of certain part of culture they never actively participate to begin with and (2) they mostly come from the desire to keep kpop as this kitschy, cliche part of “korean culture” bc for me it doesn’t make sense how they demonize literally everything about korea shown in news but somehow trying to preserve this one part of society specifically made to please their aesthetic

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!