I Get Second Hand Embarrassment When Idols Go To The States And Perform In Front Of American Celebrities

• I get embarrassed when they perform Kpop songs basically.

Like I be seeing some of the American rappers and singers in the audience, and they be looking like "wtf is this" or they probably be thinking its a mess.

BTS..I admit there's a couple of stages I can't watch of them performing a kpop song, in front of U.S. celebs. But overall BTS performance make up for it, plus there's always a BUNCH of ARMY who are there, to hype them up..as they should, period💜.

But in general overall, its cringey.

Especially the songs thats chosen, and the outfits.

Like I just can't lmao.

TXT performed Sugar Rush Ride on James Corden show, but the outfits was horrible bro..

Its just something about kpop merging with Western award shows or U.S television that is cringey at times.

Matter fact, i remember NCT 127 performed "Sticker" on the James Corden show too :exit-pepe:

• it's a major culture clash that only blackpink and bts have managed to work with, but they make very western sounding music anyway. red velvet's bad boy era could've done well if they tried to market here but that's probably for the best. i'd rather they make their own shit instead of pandering to us.

the overly cutesy/bubblegum stuff just doesn't sell in the west.

• it's a major culture clash that only blackpink and bts have managed to work with, but they make very western sounding music anyway. red velvet's bad boy era could've done well if they tried to market here but that's probably for the best. i'd rather they make their own shit instead of pandering to us.

the overly cutesy/bubblegum stuff just doesn't sell in the west.

Exactly.

Like as much as I have TXT "Sugar Rush Ride" on repeat eevryday...literally.

I can't imagine TXT performing it at a American award show.......like the moaning in the song and singing about "the Devil said".. :hazmat-pepe:

• So now we gatekeep kpop because you think they are inferior music-wise and outfit/appearance-wise compared to western artists?

I believe KPOP deserves this exposure outside Korea, whether they sing in korean or english or any other language. It's not cringey nor a mess, it's just they don't understand the language and that shouldn't be a reason why artists of different language should be gatekept.

• I watched all the BTS performances in the US and each time, the celebrities seem amazed and enjoyed the moment. BTS also received several standing ovations that I have barely seen for others American celebrities, Eminem once or in special occasions. I am also a huge Wester pop fan so I watch a lot of their performances too.

8zf-yB.gif   

• So now we gatekeep kpop because you think they are inferior music-wise and outfit/appearance-wise compared to western artists?

I believe KPOP deserves this exposure outside Korea, whether they sing in korean or english or any other language. It's not cringey nor a mess, it's just they don't understand the language and that shouldn't be a reason why artists of different language should be gatekept.

i don't think it's inferior or cringey btw. it's just often so different, i can see why it doesn't always go over well with overseas audiences.

how can i gatekeep kpop??? huh??? am i the south korean president???????? huh?????????????????????????????????????

please think.

i shared a personal OPINION, how I FELT.

I wasn't tryna convince anyone or have someone agree with me.

I just said that "i" get second hand embarrassment from idols performing kpop songs in front of U.S celebrities....thats it.

especially since majority of the time, the song selection isnt it, which I know the company chooses etc.

but it wasn't that deep what I said lol.

• It's nothing to do with kpop being "inferior" to western media or vice versa, it's just uncanny to see something you are very familiar with in an unfamiliar setting. It's the exact feeling ilicited when you see old people having s*x. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, it just gives the cringe because it's unfamiliar.

kpop = old people having sex

i'll scatter flowers on the road that you take

• It's KPOP, most of the time they will sing... wait for it... KPOP. Why is it embarrassing to perform KPOP in front of western celebrities because of language, outfit? How is that cringey? Do you want them to sing a song that isn't theirs and wear things western celeb style to fit in?

• I grew up as "the other" in a country that thought all my family's traditions were weird and for awhile it gave me a complex about it, probably similar to the one I see here. Thankfully I realized whose problem it was and I did not have to make it mine too. I feel saddened for those of you who have let others narrow-mindedness cloud your views.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!