why don't kpop groups hold more concerts in latam?

• Despite Kpop being a niche genre, some kpop groups have a big fanbase in Latam and the demand is definitely there. Blackpink's first concert in Mexico is sold out (65k capacity) and a second day has been added to their Mexico stop from their born pink world tour.

I don't think kpop companies should underestimate the latam market, On the contrary, they should capitalize on that instead of focusing on Japan and SEA only. I mean, according to IFPI Mexico and Brazil consume more music on average than any other markets. At some point Mexico became the music streaming capital of the world in 2020.

Mexico, Brazil Consume More Music on Average Than Any Other Markets: IFPI
    According to data from the IFPI, Latin American countries are the top consumers of music worldwide, by an ample margin, with Mexico and Brazil leading and…
    www.billboard.com

Spotify Held Its First Awards Show in Mexico City -- Here's What Went Down
    Bad Bunny, Karol G win big; Julieta Venegas, Ana Tijoux call for gender justice
    www.rollingstone.com

There are popular festivals in latin America ( rock in Rio, lollapalooza Chile & Argentina, vive latino, festival estéreo picnic etc) and the concert scene in general seems profitable for popular artists.

Latin America: These are the Musical Tours of 2023 that you Cannot Miss - LatinAmerican Post

Last month, US industry body the RIAA published its latest mid-year figures. They revealed a 9.1% increase in the retail value of recorded music there to $7.69bn in the first half of 2022. (about latin music in the US)

• they didn't before covid

SM groups even had latam tours before American concerts

Even super junior is there right now

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• TFN was in South America and even released a Spanish song for their South American fans. A.C.E was on 4 worldtours and went 3 times to south America but since they are all in the army they can't tour right now. I think ATEEZ was at least once n South America. Not sure if the band W24 was on a worldtour before but if they were than South America would've been probably high on their list since Howon was born and raised in Venezuela. I also think that DAY6 had been in South America once and back when Jae was still a member he said that this was the first time he ever had been back to South America since he was born there but had left the place when he was still a baby (since he grew up in the US and therefore I think he also said he would be the only one in his family who dosn't speak Spanish I guess)

That's all I can think of at the moment

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

• TFN was in South America and even released a Spanish song for their South American fans. A.C.E was on 4 worldtours and went 3 times to south America but since they are all in the army they can't tour right now. I think ATEEZ was at least once n South America. Not sure if the band W24 was on a worldtour before but if they were than South America would've been probably high on their list since Howon was born and raised in Venezuela. I also think that DAY6 had been in South America once and back when Jae was still a member he said that this was the first time he ever had been back to South America since he was born there but had left the place when he was still a baby (since he grew up in the US and therefore I think he also said he would be the only one in his family who dosn't speak Spanish I guess)

That's all I can think of at the moment

oh I didn't know all this but it's good to know it's just because most kpop artists focus mostly touring in Asia ( it does makes sense) but still

• With BTS tours, starting with LYSY, I recall the problem was the cost of their retainer fee (might not be the correct term), which was something like $1 million I think, and shady promoters who were just terrible at their jobs. But it was mostly the fee. The fee was so high because of how expensive it was to transport and set up all the tour equipment (dozens of semi trucks and/or air cargo) so a financial guarantee was needed in order to commit to each show. Promoters explained to fans that the fee was simply too expensive and they couldn't afford it so they couldn't book BTS.

Dunno if this is the case for other groups but it's probably a factor in some cases.

• With BTS tours, starting with LYSY, I recall the problem was the cost of their retainer fee (might not be the correct term), which was something like $1 million I think, and shady promoters who were just terrible at their jobs. But it was mostly the fee. The fee was so high because of how expensive it was to transport and set up all the tour equipment (dozens of semi trucks and/or air cargo) so a financial guarantee was needed in order to commit to each show. Promoters explained to fans that the fee was simply too expensive and they couldn't afford it so they couldn't book BTS.

Dunno if this is the case for other groups but it's probably a factor in some cases.

oh I see that's probably one of the biggest reasons

• a problem i think exist from bts experience is very few promotors are willing to pay and fulfill the riders set by management, kpop companies are notoriously detailed and high maintenance especially about safety 💀 I guess that answers why they hardly go to international festivals including ones you mentioned

• Interestingly, Dreamcatcher is probably the girl group that's done the most shows in Latin America.

According to my data, they've done five shows in Brazil, and one show each in Argentina, Chile, Peru, Colombia, Panama, and Mexico.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!