Why is destroying the planet being celebrated by kpop fans?

• I don't considering 1 MILLION albums sold as an achievement, I see it as a regression. Imagine how many trees were cut down, how much energy was spent, the many tons of waste it's taking up, how many fuel and carbon dioxide was released into the environment for what literally has no practical use. It's only harming earth and contributing to climate change. Rather, kpop fans should be telling companies to reduce of eliminate their environmental waste. I know how kpop fans like to pretend to be progressive but this is more important than social credits, it's for the survival of the world and the billions of poor people who will have dwindling resources in the coming years.

Don't worry, your biases will be fine. But when an environmental catastrophe happens, they won't be worrying about you.

Nuuuuhh blasphemy waaahhh ima success stan nothing matters my ult group is numbs 1 herp derp🤡🤡🤡🤡 them to the mooon!! . That's the response and what's going on in their tiny skulls in regards to reality. Only time that changes is if their own favorite group tells them this stuff other than that they will never think for themselves.

• This is why Once are the most environmental friendly fandom in kpop.

Is not that Twice flops now, is just that their fans do not want to overwork the servers by streaming their songs, this saves lots of electricity.

Polar bears all over the world thank you Once.

• Non-issue. Tens of thousands of other things are worse for the environment. Everything in an album is recyclable anyway.

I don't think that is true.

Maybe albums than no longer contain CDs. Because

CDs can’t be recycled because they’re made of mixed materials that are difficult and uneconomical to separate into their component parts for recycling. CDs were also encased in fragile polycarbonate cases, which, despite being a single material, aren’t widely recycled.

Then there is this.

So which is the greener option? It depends on many things, including how many times you listen to your music. If you only listen to a track a couple of times, then streaming is the best option. If you listen repeatedly, a physical copy is best; streaming an album over the internet more than 27 times will likely use more energy than it takes to produce and manufacture the same CD.

The environmental impact of music: digital, records, CDs analysed
    Some of our favourite music formats might not be as environmentally friendly as we think.
    theconversation.com

The article is from 2019, some number may have changed.

• Non-issue. Tens of thousands of other things are worse for the environment. Everything in an album is recyclable anyway.

Literally nobody is recycling albums. It's going to the trash or piled up in their basements until it goes to the landfill as tons and tons of waste. The threat is for those hypocrites who say they "care" about so-ci-e-ty but they are just imitating along to whatever buzz words or tropes they are handed down

• I don't think that is true.

Literally nobody is recycling albums. It's going to the trash or piled up in their basements until it goes to the landfill as tons and tons of waste. The threat is for those hypocrites who say they "care" about so-ci-e-ty but they are just imitating along to whatever buzz words or tropes they are handed down

Ok, fair call. No point being recyclable if people aren't recycling. Regardless, I still think it's a non-issue compared to the thousands of other planet destroying activities out there.

I mean, look at the movie industry. Apart from the impact of filming itself, the impact of people traveling to cinemas, or electrical consumption at home, additional food waste from eating snacks and packaging from them. Gaming has the same issues.

The above is just skimming the tiniest part of the surface. You can go on and on and on but the reality is that almost every part of our lives damages the environment somewhere else.

• I don’t see it as any different from collecting figurines. Decorations, merchandise, hobbies centered around collecting anything are not “wasteful” when they bring joy to humans.

Now the people who buy 50 copies or 60 copies to boost sales instead of just a few for their own collection are indeed bat shit crazy and need to seek help.

• Screen_Shot_2021-03-01_at_2.28.39_PM.png

all i'm saying is that it's hard for me to take anyone seriously with all this save the world rhetoric when they live a lifestyle completely dependent on destroying the environment. so if people still wanna virtue signal on the internet about how good they are then they should at least live a lifestyle that has minimum impact so it'd be easier for people follow their lead. end of the day, nobody really cares about the environment. it's all just theatre lol unfortunately

• Only a Small Percentage of Cell Phones Are Recycled

While many people embrace recycling, the number of cell phones successfully recycled is appallingly low. Patrick Sinclair, Founder and Tech Blogger at All Home Robotics said “Although virtually 100% of phones are reusable and recyclable, only a mere 15% percent is actually currently recycled in the US.” The number phones discarded each year is close to 150 million.

Cell Phones Harm the Environment with Toxic Chemicals

When people throw cell phones away, they end up in landfills, taking up valuable space for other rubbish. We don’t have enough room on Earth to cover everything in piles of discarded mobile phones. Imagine a future in which we run out of space to build housing because endless piles of garbage, including trillions of discarded cell phones, litter 90% of the planet.

Cell Phone Recycling Facts | Newtech Recycling
    Cell phones are full of materials both valuable (like gold) and toxic (like lead). Instead of throwing all that away in landfills, call Newtech Recycling to…
    newtechrecycling.com

The number of smartphone users reached 5.22 billion by the end of 2020, which represents 66% of the world’s population (DataReportal, 2021). 2020 brought in an additional 93 million users, a 1.8% increase from 2019’s year-end total.

Number of Smartphone and Mobile Phone Users Worldwide in 2022/2023: Demographics, Statistics, Predictions - Financesonline.com
    Key data on the number of smartphone and mobile users, including ownership rates, age and gender distribution, units sold, and user behavior.
    financesonline.com

it is estimated that more than 2.2 billion iPhones have been sold as of 2022.

26+ iPhone User & Sales Statistics (Fresh Data 2023)
    Here is the detailed report on all things iPhone. We have gathered facts and figures associated with iPhones from trusted sources and dumped them in this…
    www.demandsage.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yet nobody ever goes on an outrage over iphones "destroying the planet".. BUT THESE KPOP ALBUMS I DONT BUY.. THEY'RE THE PROBLEM AND KPOPPERS NEED TO BE ASHAMED!!

• Why would you compare a device that most people need for work/life and use everyday to something that’s gonna sit on your shelf unused unopened and serves no purpose

Lol?

I’m not saying OP is right but absolutely deranged comparisons like this make no sense. Should Apple be more environmentally conscious absolutely. But comparing necessities to a kpop album is just :angryr: :cryingr:

• Why would you compare a device that most people need for work/life and use everyday to something that’s gonna sit on your shelf unused unopened and serves no purpose

Lol?

I’m not saying OP is right but absolutely deranged comparisons like this make no sense. Should Apple be more environmentally conscious absolutely. But comparing necessities to a kpop album is just :angryr: :cryingr:

right...

so your logic is.. what we "need" to use everyday - ( tho your definition of "need" seem to differ than most, i'll still give u that) doesn't destroy the planet?

modern convenience isnt a necessity - your survival on earth isnt dictated on whether or not u have an iphone - you can survive with no phone - u'll be limited in your lifestyle but dont confuse a necessity such as a "need" with what you have for your comfort. - a CAR is not a necessity neither is your iphone and they pollute more than just about anything else. - but W/E we can disagree on the definition of need.

but just like you, some may profess they "NEED" those albums to feel happy - regardless of what you may think of them.

but to think just cus u "need" to use it, it's automatically exempt from it's dire effect on the planet seems.. convenient to justify you turning a blind eye to its impact on the planet- also hypocritical since your "need" somehow outweighs the "need" of others

• I agree. Kpop is very hurtful to the environment.

One of the reasons i was just a casual listener for many years.

Buying all that merch. lith sticks and albums we dont listen to is questionable.

Anyway its the one luxury i allow me on the costs of the environment. Its surely egoistic. but i dont need that planet anymore if its without brave girls.

A planet that cant stan brave girls deserves to die.

• I wrote an essay in response but your understanding of what is need and inability to comprehend how needs are different in different parts of the world made me realize there is no use talking to you.

• I wrote an essay in response but your understanding of what is need and inability to comprehend how needs are different in different parts of the world made me realize there is no use talking to you.

oh you didnt' write an essay. you barely wrote 3 sentences .

also the point is your defining modern convenience as a basic need - which it isnt. by your definition, fans NEED albums to feel better.

and yes, you wont convince me that ur TV, microwave, your car , your iphone is a "NEED", so dont bother replying.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!