Is it fair new groups outsell legends without doing any work?

• Groups like IVE and NewJeans who have only existed for 2 weeks have already outsold most legendary 2nd and 3rd gen groups.

Why is this acceptable among kpop fans? Red Velvet been working their but off for7 years and NewJeans will surpass then with 5 songs. That's the equivalent of getting paid for just showing up. And doing no work.

By the end of tge year NewJeans will have surpassed SNSD aka the most legendary group of all time.

This like at your job where you been working for 20 years only making 15 an hour a new employee comes in with no experience and makes 50 an hour.

I don't understand why yall are ok with this. Your supposed to start from the bottom and work your way up.

• IVE has one of the craziest schedules out of any current group. They did like 10 university concerts while doing every music show during After Like promotions, having multiple performances at different locations on the same day a number of times. Hell, they even recorded the 2 MBC Gayo performances and traveled to Japan on the same day. They've had a unique performance in some way, whether it be a cover or a new dance break every single time for these end year shows.. imagine having to practice for every single one of those while your schedule is already packed.

So no, the 'without any work'-part is not true.

• You also can't compare any numbers from the past to what groups are currently doing. When IZ*ONE sold 500k it was a completely absurd accomplishment, now everyone and their dog seems to be selling 500k like it's just another day at the office.

So it's quite hard to make statements like 'x group surpassed SNSD' if it's based on sales if K-Pop album sales were 80% lower across the board during their prime.

• 3rd gen top groups are still doing well.

They paved the way and all that.

• Your faves are now nugus.

Welcome to my world!

• we're in a different time and different environment

those legends paved the way for the newbies to be where they are and I don't think anybody will disagree with that

(note when I refer to paving the way I meant increasing kpop's appeal worldwide)

there's lots of things in life that are unfair - some people are smarter, prettier, athletic etc etc is that "fair"

if more people want to listen to the newer groups so they get more sales and views and listens and downloads and whatnot compared to existing groups then one might argue that it is fair since they are selling more

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!