Will the Restoration Era of KPop , Restoration of the 2nd Gen, last for a long time?

• When I wrote that only 4 of his 20 extant marshals (excluding King Karl XIV of Sweden, formerly Marshal Jean Bernadotte, and 4 of them who were dead by that timeJ I was wrong.

Davout, Soult, Ney and Brune actively fought, but Jourdan, Mortier, Lefebvre, Serurier, Suchet and Kellermann served minor roles during Napoleon's comeback. So 10 of 20 marshals did return.

Some of the marshals , having enough of war, sat out but these people actively supported the Restoration Govt: de Perignon (of the champagne fame), Victor, MacDonald (yes,there was a French marshal of that name), Oudinot, Victor, Marmont and Berthier.7 of them or 35% openly supported the old order and denounced their erstwhile Emperor.

====

excluding the trottist Lim Youngwoong who has no reason to ally with the younger gen of KPop47, here are the breakdown

2nd Gen

Lee Jieun 476M

Taeyeon 220M

Big Bang 201M

Total 897M

3rd Gen

BTS (not active) 358M

BlackPink 345M

Twice 195M

Total 898M, without BTS 540M

4th Gen

Ive 325M

Gidle 302M

aespa 261M

Total 888M.

So, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen of KPop are neck and neck to one another, and there is very little difference between 2nd and 3rd Gen Although the 3rd gen is slightly ahead, BTS is inactive and Lee Jieun holds #1, so it is safe that the Restoration of the 2nd Gen of KPop, as if nothing had occurred in Korean Pop from 2012, appears to be complete.

How the 3rd Gen, which conquered the entire world, snatched defeat from the jaws of absolute victory is an essay I am preparing for the future, but now we have to face the restoration of the 2nd Gen with a vengeance never seen before.

In USA, Taylor Swift's restoration means disaster for other acts . I went to a bookstore and saw the magazine section with singers, and half of it is of Harry Styles, of Worcester, England. Taylor Swift and some others took the rest, with some magazines for BTS, a couple for BlackPink and one for KPop in general, which, to my own surprise, included a small section on the most domestic singer of Korean history who released a net of zero English songs in there.

The question now is how long will the restoration of the 2nd Gen will last.

Although Taeyeon and Big Bang contributed, the singer who failed to contribute too much for KPop's worldwide success was extremely instrumental on upsetting the KPop order and restoring KPop to the 2nd Gen, having the very first concert done by a 2nd Gen act in the Chamshil Olympic Stadium (the one done by JYP is now in the memory hole thanks to the antics of the members and their lack of presence in KPop (Yuchun is personal non grata, Junsu only in Musicals and Jaejoong exclusively active in Japan only).

Given the example above, I expect about 1/2 of BTS' fans will be around 1 year from now, 15% muddling along between it and other acts, and 35% having moved on to another act.

Against which Lee Jieun and the 2nd Gen of KPop, with a restored power and strength, stand.

The unfortunate thing is this is likely to be Big Bang's last song; Taeyeon has not seen IU since 2012; and IU has no intention to bend down to Taeyeon and strike an alliance again, given Taeyeon did a lot for the singer who still refuses to contribute to KPop's advancement to the world even now when the latter was a nobody in 2009-10.

Instead she is seeing g.o.d. which does not endear her to other members of 2nd gen or 4th gen. Granted this is near the year end so every newer act is quite busy, but she , instead of seeing g.o.d., should have arranged to see one of the new biggies ; Ive, aespa, Gidle, Le Sserafim or New Jeans and strike an alliance with them for a coming showdown against the 3rd Gen, which might be 2025, or maybe 2023 if BTS does win a Grammy against Abba next February.

Unless the 2nd Gen somehow can manage to strike an alliance with the 4th Gen, it is unlikely that the Restoration of the 2nd Generation of KPop against the 3rd gen which had conquered the earth is going to last for too long.

• What restoration?

g.o.d or others are not going to be actively releasing music on regular basis - they are just doing occasional reunions or memorabilia albums like Cho Young Pil.

Kara is doing a reunion, SNSD already did, T-ara last year itself.

None of it means they are getting "restored".

Only IU is left active and dominating still, from the 2nd gen.

Others are either sporadic, low key and definitely not dominating the scene.

Still life might be Bigbang's last..

3rd gen is also entering twilight territory. release becoming more infrequent and/or charting lesser and lesser numbers.

So 4th gen will do very well.

Globally, that is anybody' s guess.

I still think BTS and maybe BP, are exceptions - Kpop has been trying to break into Western market for 2 decades now, and BTS caught the best of the wave.

I don't think that will sustain long.

Whether it sustains or fades, the return of 2nd gen will have little to do with it.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• Restoration of the old order of 2nd Gen, like it is 2010

12 years of progress in Kpop disappearing into the yonderland

T-Ara never really stopped promoting. It 's just that few people pay attention to it. Meanwhile this is the first for Kara for, I think , 2014 because apparently the members think the timing is right and RBW,which bought what is remaining of DSP,is willing to back them up for now. It remains to be seen whether Kara could be restored, especially in Japan where the demand might be higher. (In Japan it is not rare for older acts to tour. The only question would be how big that is.)

3Gen is still around and although BTS won't make a move there are Twice, BlackPink , Seventeen and even EXO to some degree. And the various iterations of NCTs. They are on the retreat but if BTS' situation changes they might also launch return bids.

4Gen is still too early to call. They sell well but their concerts are just starting and no way to know about how big they willgo.

The 2Gen does stand or fall with Lee JIeun, but at least for now, she is in power and she will use t to further her influence

• Nope.

Nobody is going to carry the entire gen .

IU or BTS, they just stand for themselves.. Not generation, not Kpop..

That's all just fan constructs

• T-Ara never really stopped promoting. It 's just that few people pay attention to it.

Prior to their reunion last year, they hadn't promoted since 2017. I would call that a stoppage in promotions. And just like their reunion, all of these others will be equally temporary. I could see some of these groups reuniting again in the future, but we won't be seeing any of them on a regular basis.

• So I will plug this thread since you are talking 2nd generation

Moved the thread from forum KPOP to forum KPOP.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!