They Do Not Make Kpop Like This Anymore

• They Do Not Make Kpop Like This Anymore

They just don't do it like this anymore.

People call us 2nd gen stans stuck in our ways.

Folks.

There's a reason.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No they don't

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"We're always with InSomnia, we can spend more time, beyond limits together!"

• Kpop may be more palatable now to Western audiences and may have successfully become a widespread pop alternative, but old kpop simply had something that made it different and mesmerizing at the same time, something I don't find that much these days.

• No they don't

External Content www.youtube.com

I'm in love with Gayoon.

• Kpop may be more palatable now to Western audiences and may have successfully become a widespread pop alternative, but old kpop simply had something that made it different and mesmerizing at the same time, something I don't find that much these days.

Agreed. 2nd gen was a perfect storm of sorts.

Big enough that us international fans could participate. But local enough that it kept its own feel.

I miss that period.

The main thing with current Kpop is that it feels like half western music but in Korean and half creating music that’s more suitable for short TikTok’s, instas etc with less melody and singing but more noise music and experimental elements to grab attention. Something Nmix 00 epitomises this, a bunch of short contrasting sounding parts hastily glued together to create a full “song” but individual parts don't sound bad on their own.

Give it a few years when there’s a new trend/style and current songs will sound very dated like how Kpop groups jumped on the dubstep bandwagon years ago and just as quickly dropped it lol. You could even argue it's happening already with Korean charts dominated by more standard structured songs.

• I'm in love with Gayoon.

Same, she became my bias in 4Minute after this. Sohyun came a close second.

Big enough that us international fans could participate. But local enough that it kept its own feel.

I miss that period.

I guess they were still finding their sound. Kpop back then used to sound dated compared to the music in the West. But unique anyway.

True.

Same

The main thing with current Kpop is that it feels like half western music but in Korean and half creating music that’s more suitable for short TikTok’s, instas etc with less melody and singing but more noise music and experimental elements to grab attention. Something Nmix 00 epitomises this, a bunch of short contrasting sounding parts hastily glued together to create a full “song”.

Give it a few years when there’s a new trend/style and current songs will sound very dated like how Kpop groups jumped on the dubstep bandwagon years ago and just as quickly dropped it lol.

Yes, I see as kpop finally catching up with everything going on in the music worldwide, no new take in old sounds or anything like that.

True.

I miss that period.

You 2 just nailed it.

With BTS (sort of) gone, I'm also starting to drift away from kpop. It just doesn't seem of have its uniqueness as before that drew me in years ago.

• I see you're a soshi, I was too! I lost a bit of my enthusiasm after Lion Heart...

Lion Heart was the control damage album after Jessica's removal; one album to prove Soshi was still going strong, which wasn't exactly what happened because then they went on unofficial hiatus and Holiday Night was a fiasco for whatever reason it was. Soshi was one of the groups I first fell in love with and made me want to dig deeper in kpop. Never really moved over from them because no group had made me enjoy music like them, even though I have newer groups I enjoy and I like listening to kpop from other acts, Soshi stays supreme. Only EXO has come side to side with them, for me.

• Yep, even as a Gen Z young one I keep finding myself going back to the 2nd and early to mid 3rd gen music. There was just something about it that was captivating. The only thing similar to that style right now is Nayeon, which is one of the reasons Pop! is so universally liked. People missed that undeniably kpop sound. I hope JYPE keeps taking inspiration from the 3rd and 2nd gen for her future releases. I need SOMEONE to turn too for that type of music.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!