Overstating Twice "flops"

• I tend to think people overstate just how much Twice has flopped in Korea over the past few years. I think it has become accepted knowledge that Twice has basically been flopping quiet hard on Korean charts over the past few years. I would like to challenge that a bit.

Lets start with where most people would say the "flop" era started, Feel Special. This was the first Twice song I believe not to crack the top 10 on melon weekly. However, it did stay in the melon top 20 for 5 weeks which is not easy and stayed in the melon top 50 for two months. This is also at a time where the melon chart was a bit more volatile than today. However, yes up to this point this was by far Twice's worst showing on the charts.

Feel Special charting

WK1: 12

WK2: 12

WK3: 14 (-2)

WK4: 17 (-3)

WK5: 19 (-2)

Now, More & More. It debuted in the top 5 and stayed there for 3 weeks and did not leave the top ten for its first months. It then stayed in the top 20 for two months. This is pretty far from a flop in my opinion most groups could not achieve this especially after having released as much music as Twice.

WK1: 4

WK2: 5 (-1)

WK3: 5

WK4: 6 (-1)

WK5: 11 (-5)

WK6: 13 (-2)

WK7: 16 (-3)

WK8: 19 (-3)

Now we have Twice's second song, "I Cant Stop Me," which I think can be considered struggle. To date it was the worst debut on weekly melon. This was Twice's worst performing song to date, the only one to debut outside the top 20 in weekly melon chart and the shortest song in the melon top 20 at 4 weeks. I think its clear Twice was experimenting a bit with their song, really they had been since Feel Special. This can contribute to the less than great reception of this song.

WK1: 24

WK2: 14 (+10)

WK3: 12 (+2)

WK4: 13 (-1)

WK5: 20 (-7)

Next was Alcohol Free, it was Twice's first Friday release which means its first week numbers for the weekly chart were quite low. This song while reaching the peak of M&M had better longevity and was in the top 10 for two weeks and the top 15 for 2 months after its release. That is pretty amazing and far from a flop for any group. This brings us to the only song I would consider a true flop in twice entire career.

WK1: 40

WK2: 11 (+29)

WK3: 8 (+3)

WK4: 10 (-2)

WK5: 11 (-1)

WK6: 13 (-2)

WK7: 13

WK8: 14 (-1)

WK9: 14

WK10: 18 (-4)

Scientist. The charting for this song was terrible, it was clear the public did not like it and its charting showed that a lot. From even the trends you can see what an actual Twice flop looks like compared to just a decently performing Twice song.

WK1: Not charting in Top 100

WK2: 79

WK3: 56 (+23)

WK4: 55 (+1)

WK5: 56 (-1)

WK6: 74 (-18)

I think that this clearly shows, claiming that Twice has flopped multiple times over the past 3 years is just false. Have they charted worse than their previous 4 years? yes, did they chart badly, no. These charts results are to be expected from an older group that has had more releases than any other group in kpop save BTS. I believe the only Kpop group that has as much content as Twice and still charts amazingly every time is BTS. I dont know many groups on their 10 mini album and like 15th album overall that can chart within the top 10 consistent and last within the top 20 for weeks on end. So the myth that Twice has flopped significantly in the past years is clearly false. I shall now end this pointless thread.

• The one that's a sure flop is scientist. The numbers are really bad.

The rest are all mid level performances from feel special onwards. I think those are called flop because twice used to do so well during 2016-2018. It's a fall from the big standards they set. But yes the rest except scientist aren't flops. For many 4th gen ggs those songs are labelled as hits lol

`.¸,°.. EUNBI ..°,¸.´

bd244e5463f542b0458f07ca2f1ac31e381fb86a.gifv b14ebbb2cafd17a83af16ce034df00d7028a5940.gifv

• I tend to think people overstate just how much Twice has flopped in Korea over the past few years. I think it has become accepted knowledge that Twice has basically been flopping quiet hard on Korean charts over the past few years. I would like to challenge that a bit.

Is only a flop in relation on how they used to be the top Girl group in Korea, with 8 or 9 consecutive #1 songs in a row.

They are not the top GG anymore, but they are still solid.

I wish my faves could flop like Twice.

The rest are all mid level performances from feel special onwards. I think those are called flop because twice used to do so well during 2016-2018. It's a fall from the big standards they set. But yes the rest except scientist aren't flops. For many 4th gen ggs those songs are labelled as hits lol

If Tri.Be, WJSN or Dreamcatcher could get streaming numbers like Scientist, I would do cartwheels.

Just different expectations.

I’m definitely not saying Twice hasn’t lost popularity in Korea. They have but I think most fans would expect that after so much content and being an older group with many new groups coming up. However, yeah I just see this narrative from some that they have been releasing consistent flops back to back, to be honest mostly in anons which I know are trolls, and wanted to correct that

• Is only a flop in relation on how they used to be the top Girl group in Korea, with 8 or 9 consecutive #1 songs in a row.

They are not the top GG anymore, but they are still solid.

I wish my faves could flop like Twice.

I agree but no other group in the history of Kpop has ever down what twice did with their consecutive hits. I think the only ones to do it were Big Bang and IU and maybe now BTS as well. So comparing Twice not to that you could say most Kpop group have flopped their entire careers except the groups and soloist mentioned above

• I agree but no other group in the history of Kpop has ever down what twice did with their consecutive hits. I think the only ones to do it were Big Bang and IU and maybe now BTS as well. So comparing Twice not to that you could say most Kpop group have flopped their entire careers except the groups and soloist mentioned above

Sistar with 9 in a row. (10 top 2 in a row).

The lowest Sistar ever got was their debut at #9

All their 12 promotional singles, were top 10.

They General public loved them, they just wouldn't bother to buy their albums.

• Twice definitely fell off considering they had like 8 or 9 back to back #1s, but yeah, they are not flopping as badly as people would make you think if you didn't know any better.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• Twice definitely fell off considering they had like 8 or 9 back to back #1s, but yeah, they are not flopping as badly as people would make you think if you didn't know any better.

Twice are the victims of their own success for these people. If a group doesn’t get consecutive 1s forever then they have flopped

• It would be one thing if the many arguments that TWICE has "flopped" were simply that. I.E. an acknowledgement that they have performed below their peak.

But the overwhelming thrust of many of these narratives seems to be that TWICE has not only dropped in performance, but that they in a larger sense, are "discredited" or no longer relevant or important.

Which is a delusion. Full stop.

They are, without qualification, one of the most consequential groups in all of kpop history. They are the nation's girl group of their generation, the best selling kpop girl group of all time, and along with BLACKPINK and BTS, the foremost leaders of 3rd gen.

Their legacy is unquestioned. They will go down in kpop history as one of the behemoths of the industry.

And they, even against claims to their alleged "fall to obscurity", are still going strong in their 7th year, in tact, with all members, with a massive global Hallyu footprint.

TWICE is one of the paramount groups of all of kpop.

And narrative to the contrary are silly.

• It does disappoint me a bit when talking about international success only BTS and BP are only ever brought up. Those groups deserve it of course but Twice has consistently also performed amazingly internationally. Setting many first throughout Asia and in America. Hey people don’t really give them the same hype for their successes.

• I agree but no other group in the history of Kpop has ever down what twice did with their consecutive hits. I think the only ones to do it were Big Bang and IU and maybe now BTS as well. So comparing Twice not to that you could say most Kpop group have flopped their entire careers except the groups and soloist mentioned above

IU (on her own/not features) had a streak on 9 #1s - broken by a #2 in 2014 - then again is on a streak with 15 #1s on Gaon, going on.

BTS is strong on longevity of their songs, but not that many #1.

Sistar and Twice are ahead of BTS on #1s. Though a hit is not just by being #1, but also by longevity.

Twice are past their prime yes, but still it is nonsensical to call their recent songs as flops.

Not when they are still selling extremely well and chart easily in the top 30.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

• Twice set up themselves by setting the so called "Twice standards"... In fact if we had to use Twice standards to measure other groups success, few would pass beyond 2-3 songs

Also Feel Special was almost TT level in Japan, M&M and ICSM made them relevant on international charts

So Scientist really is... that flop :sob-bunny:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!