Posts by FSXP

This is how you mix genres. All you had to do was write a song like this, instead of hiring whatever jabronis came up with this mess omg.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Mixing genres in kpop is absolutely not new, but none of these songs are genre mixing. All of these are simply just electropop song. Yes, even Next Level is really just an electropop song. The most experimental part of that song is the structure not the sound. At best, the breakdown is electro-R&B but it doesn’t have enough R&B elements to make it anything other than electropop.

BUT Aespa & Blackpink have genre mixing songs. Savage is basically a mix of hip hop, hyperpop, and even R&B elements on the bridge. Whistle is basically the ultimate Hip-Pop song of Kpop and even country influence thrown on the bridge & AIIYL is basically a mesh of 80s synth pop on the chorus vs the Moombatahn verses.

Wait, what is the definition of noisy then? I thought it was about being disjointed and messy?

I think they’re all talking about different noisy now. Now, it’s more so to do with a sound overload that doesn’t seem cohesive to the listeners. However, it’s hard to really say what the OP is talking about because D4/KTL are certainly louder than AIIYL, but AIIYL was called disjointed along with D4. D4/AIIYL were called that because Teddy’s signature switch up for BP from pre-chorus to chorus. That’s why they were called disjointed and it was never about a sound overload of different noises. BUT THEN, after catching up I’ve also seen people say some 2nd Gen songs were noisy too but the examples are kind of bad. Like IATB is on the hype or “louder” side, but the production on that song is relatively smooth with the synth looping throughout the song. There’s a lot of second gen EDM songs being pointed out when their production is very simple and singular but 2nd Gen did a lot of unique melodies vocally & they layered like R&B cause of the 1st Gen influence which was heavily R&B. Especially SM, a lot of their EDM stuff from that time is more “noise” to some cause of weird medley more than disjointed production. So now, I’m just kinda confused cause “noise” now means a bunch of different sounds & switch up & not a lot of the examples used in here from the past.

We lived very different forum lives :pepepizza:

You’re saying this only in retrospect. These songs were definitely called noisy during their time :pepepizza:

Only Not Today and Kill This Love were the ones I remember called noisy to an extent. Other examples like Fire and D4 was called disjointed and messy more than noisy. Before like 2019, it wasn’t really that much of a complaint. I mean, NCT wasn’t even called noisy until recently. But that’s how I remember it. Other people could view it different.

BTS & BP weren’t really ever called noise though. I think have some songs that are louder than usual. Not Today & KTL were the ones called loud, but their productions have always been very pristine and layered. Personally, I think what separates them is that there is a lot more nuances in their production. Say what you want, but BTS/BP will never simply give you a loud song from beginning to end. It will have bombastic chorus but the verses will be usually very punch in delivery or very melodic in singing. Plus both groups are pretty versatile as well sonically.

Has Teddy ever not be involved in a YG grp's production at all?

I’m actually certain Teddy has no involvement in any of Winner or iKon hit songs. There are many YGE songs that are hits that Teddy didn’t touch at all.

Digitally, Treasure is just seeing the consequences of YGE using up all of Big Bang’s good will on the next generation & no one to carry that. iKon & Winner were modeled after BB’s image of idols that were closer to artists that were involved in their music. It’s why Big Bang stood out & YG were strong digitally as a whole because they had a different vibe. iKon & Winner did well but weren’t the success BB was & Treasure basically throws that out, so this what they’re left with. Good physicals (I guess for like 12 members) but terrible digitals. So like other BGs.

The top 3 are pretty solid at the moment, but I don’t think people would put Aespa on similar level to BP digitally. Their title tracks recently performed similar, but they key difference between Aespa and BP is that BP’s b-sides chart for multiple weeks. Which is why IU/BTS/BP are considered the undisputed digimons on a different tier. OMG charted a b-side too but that was a viral moment. Bp’s b-sides chart without viral moments. I mean even DKWTD charted a while weekly and KTL era is considered their weakest digitally.

Right now, it’s comfortably 1. BTS 2. BP 3. Aespa, but since BP hasn’t comeback I think people can put Aespa second.

For BP it was more the hype and attention they had at debut as they were years in the making rather than the songs itself. I don't think a group has come out with the same level of hype as BP in kpop. BP fans were pretty active years before they even had their actual debut.

Whistle is not a very big song in itself like Dalla Dalla, Fire, bad girl good girl etc were, neither is Boombayah in SK. LOA for example was bigger than both in the long run and ended up as one of the biggest debut songs in kpop, but Twice are known for having a a bit of an understated debut. So I agree the success aspect is probably overstated, especially in SK if you go by numbers.

I agree with your statements, but I also think context matters. LOA isn’t considered a bigger debut than Whistle because it was a sleeper hit and then its run was increased by Cheer Up’s success. Twice absolutely had a bigger debut year than BP. LOA had more success in the long run, but ultimately it wasn’t a bigger debut if that makes sense. Other than that, I agree that 2ne1 and Miss A had a bigger debut and debut year. Dalla Dalla is the recent close but it was released at the top and Whistle at the 3/4 mark of the year. Plus, it being Itzy’s only smash hit put it in a better light. Almost Miss A like, they went on to other smash hits tho. 2ne1, TWICE, and BP went on to create other smash hits so their debuts are swayed in some way.

BP likely make a lot more on their physicals than the average group tho. Not because of sales, It’s because YGE is known for giving a higher cut to artists for their physicals. They weren’t known for their physicals, more so digital and touring. With Jennie, Rosé, and Lisa solo album sales + the group with 1.4M and very little members and their very generous ratio for physicals. They make BANK. I don’t think YGE every expected to have a group ever sell that many albums in one. The album era very likely earned them millions of US dollars alone plus the good catalog sales. Unfortunately with companies like SM (who get a large portion from physicals) and others who know physicals is their bread and butter, idol members don’t get as generous of a cut. IU is probably in a similar situation where her cut for album sales likely makes A LOT.

I think this is kind of obvious though. Album sales and touring benefit the companies more than the idols. If I’m not mistaken, there was an article that described that very little of idols reached a certain threshold of the very rich even if they’re in the top tier. IU is a veteran, ridiculously popular, and diverse in revenue so it’s obvious she will gain more because she isn’t as constricted like idol groups. At this point, the only idols that likely sit within relevant range of her revenue is BTS, BP, BB, and likely Taeyeon because of various reasons.

Because KPOP is a numbers game. If you’re hot, it’s about keeping the fire going. The idol industry isn’t necessarily about the music as much as it is about the fan experience and content. Companies aren’t necessarily interested in the b-sides as much as it is about getting physical sales & fans aren’t going to care if the company doesn’t push it.

BTS/BP do well because hardcore fans & casual interest, and HYBE and YGE have always pushed b-sides as extra promotion. A full album will come with multiple promotional songs, so that carries over into the b-sides. JYP doesn’t really care about b-sides which why even when TWICE was the top act in Korea, the public or fans didn’t really care. SM is a bit better tho. They’ll promote their b-sides which is why a couple will do good but they won’t actively go out their way. It really depends on what the company and artist place emphasis on.

I think there was certainly a shift in goal for idols from Korea to Worldwide because of it, but I think 2019’s lack of idol hits can also be attributed to 2018 having a LOT of idol hits. It certainly affected YGE’s digital performance a bit but at the same time their boy groups were hit and Miss after debuted anyway and BP still did massively well with KTL during the scandal despite hardly promoting in Korea that year.

So I would just say it was because 2018 had a lot of idol hits that maybe the public was just tired come 2019.

If YG 2NE1's BLACKPINK....they truly deserve to go bankrupt at some point. Because how do you have this goldmine of a group and barely put out music??

YG is complicated. There’s really no plans over there, so it’s hilarious to see people talk about “strategy” when it comes to them. They have a vague outline for the year. Unlike 2NE1, BP are their bread winners. They’re also relatively scandal free. 2NE1 had a member leave, a big scandal for another member and another member with a promising solo career in the US that she went for. I’m sure 2NE1 could have came back and did well digitally, but with iKon & Winner selling and making money with their tours I don’t think they thought the hassle was worth it. From what Winner & iKon say, YG picked every song released from title tracks to b-side and he was very picky. (Apparently Hanbin pushed for Love Scenario/Teddy & the girls said they pushed for both Whistle & D4) I guess now they’re catching up & getting more creative freedom? At the beginning, iKon & Winner were pushed by YHS to be the next Big Bang, but BP ended up the most successful so now we’re here.

1. Never said Knetz or Koreans were talking about Jisoo or BP. I said, “Snowdrop’s controversy was simply a stepping stone in a broader political battle.” In which you then agree on #2 - #4. Maybe you thought “those that hate BP” was Koreans or Knetz. I don’t know. But I never insinuated it was them.

I then said, Jisoo being a part of a very famous group brought a large initial interest which it did. for some reason, it’s almost like there’s tunnel vision like this was all in a vacuum and Jisoo had no influence in people being curios about the drama. In which I then said, that’s why Snowdrop was visible and the next step. It checked the boxes.

Finally, I said nothing about blinks or anything red wing or koreans blaming anybody or any of that. Do not add that to anything I said. I said they (as in Jisoo and the group) will be fine. The controversy isn’t really hurting them. all that additional stuff you added, Nothing to do with what I said at all. You came very combative for things I said nothing about.

thats all the way back to august 2020, it got even more attention during feb-april bc of joseon ex. when people bring snowdrop back along with other dramas and kblinks were planning on sending trucks to stop the drama from happening and there was a blue house petition against it (that didn't work obv). All the controversies reach its peaking point when ep 1 and 2 aired, and it was hellfire

it could have been like this not matter the actress but jisoo circumstances are just additional to the main issue

Yes, that’s what I said. It seems like people see Jisoo and think I made it about her, but as I said it just wouldn’t have as much initial interest without her. Her presence just amplified it. Which is why there was a big eye on it ahead of it’s airing. The sentiments were already made because of that. But as I stated, it’s just a stepping stone and in another 4-6 months, there will be another drama and this will be in the rear view.

yes just like it did for the current drama until morning comes and last time i checked jisoo and no other bp members is in that drama

a drama that is literally stated in headlines as “the drama that is set to air after Snowdrop”. I’m not trying to downplay the issue, but as my post stated Snowdrop is a moment. Jisoo made the show more visible. BP/Jisoo will be okay cause the public relatively doesn’t care. That’s it. Nowhere did I say the issue is only cause of Jisoo/BP.

this has nothing to do with bp or jisoo i swear some of yall need to get over this dumb notion. regardless of the actress this was going to be controversial the moment they decided to put a nk spy attending a university during this highly sensitive period in time in south korea

First, I was responding to the OP where they were concerned about Jisoo and BP. Secondly, I myself stated that the issues with the drama have nothing to do with BP or Jisoo and that’s it’s clearly a bigger social/political issue amongst a group of people and Snowdrop is not that important in that issue overall. I know this cause historical distortion have been an issue for a while now and a lot of Knetz wanted to get shows cancelled and they did or couldn’t cause the show already became too popular. Thirdly, do you genuinely think everything about this drama and characters and plot would hit the internet for journalists to write about MONTHS before it even aired if there was not a big star or stars attached to it? I’m genuinely asking especially when BLACKPINK’s Jisoo is almost in every title in reference to the drama before and now?

I’m going to speak candidly. Snowdrop’s controversy was simply a stepping stone in a broader political battle. Because Jisoo was a part of BP, a group of people decided this was their next target for “historical distortion” discussion that started last year basically. SD was a visible target. Why else would an unaired drama script and the whole plot and character summaries be aired to all the internet? If Jisoo wasn’t in this drama, there wouldn’t be nearly this much interest in it. A bandwagon happened and there was jump to pick a side and usually the side with the pitchforks is pretty convincing.

BP/Jisoo lose nothing. Their endorsements and CFs remained up and Korea is quick to pull those if the controversy was that bad. Ultimately, the drama will do fine. These ratings are fine and in line with JTBC’s this year. They could go up or down, but the job is already done. They put a negative connotation on the show. The “historical distortion” is probably not black and white and the truth is in the middle, but that doesn’t matter. SD will air, probably do okay-ish, and still be nit-picked along the way. Those that hate BP get their clicks and views. Long story short, Snowdrop is just a step in a journey. In 4-6 months, they’ll be another crusade against another drama, and Im sure the actors in SD will stay away from ANYTHING not centered in the present for a while. LMAO.

Sweet, that fact that blackpink has a lot of female fans doesn’t mean they aren’t popular with male audience, in fact they have more male fans then Aespa or any 4th gen. So saying they are not popular with male audience does not make sense at all. They have more female fans for sure, I will give you that

Yeah, I’m not seeing anything that would hint that Aespa has a surprising amount of fanboys. Especially in comparison to BP. Not saying they have more or less.

If anything, it’s to be expected. It’s pretty girls, they’re a girl group, they’re trendy. Of course men would like them. It’s to be expected as all trendy girl groups were like by men if they fit beauty standards regardless of concept. Aespa’ core fanbase could very well be women as well

The only groups I would consider having a substantial male hardcore fanbase I would say in recent times is IZONE and Twice (pre-2020).

There’s no reason to stop at top 3. They’re top 2 atm. Of course, positions can change fast but they’re trendy, they have high physicals and good digitals so far. Even if they don’t maintain their hype to the same level of this year, it’s still a level to be top 3. I don’t see anyone that would be put ahead not named BP based on recent past data as of right now either.

I am proud of them but gosh am I not surprised that most of that list is Taylor Swift :sweatr: I do love me some taytay do not get me wrong but that list is sad to look at

Honestly, she’s released A LOT in the last 3 years. Much more than usual for her, and don’t expect her to slow down cause she’s re-releasing every album from debut to Reputation. No other female singer besides Adele does more numbers in the US. So, it’s to be expected. I’m sure others like Rihanna and Beyoncé will join when they release, but it just goes to show the sad state of physical sales. 300K pure 5/6 years ago would be a flop no questions asked.