Posts by Disevidence

HYBE needs to cut its connection to Source Music.

What?

There was a massive thing with Bang and a photo of Chaewon and Sakura, and then the news that he would be officially involved in their group etc, and now the turn around is implied to be - "Cut Source adrift, not Hybe's problem" ?

Hybe have pretty clearly been steering this ship from day 1, anyone trying to act like this is all just Source is kidding themselves.

(Not commenting on the allegations to or for, I don't know enough for any judgement on those).

Hann is such, such a good song. That wordplay, the rhyming scheme is legitimately off the wall good. Simple but effective melody that haunts the backline of the song. The inspiration and the callbacks to a well known Korean Poem.

Still Soyeon's best song, what a masterpiece.

Latata was my cup of tea but I can recognise it's strengths, Latata/Hann is a one-two combo of excellent musical establishment and top tier songwriting from a debut idol.

SOTY contenders for what award? Afair, different awards have different requirements :melon_think:

Well I was being quite broad, but let's break it down.

MMA - 60% digital, 20% judges, 20% online Votes. Digitals *so far this year* that are strongest Still Life, Tomboy, and looking like That That, as noted only one so far to get above 500k. Love Dive and FMR, and INVU are the next tier who could take it away with strong judge and online votes. This is only looking at songs released, and BTS could get it again this year, strong possibility.

Mama - 40% judges, 30% Gaon, 10% Gaon Album, 10% YT, 10% Apple - This is in a way the hardest to predict due to the 40% judges vote. 10% Gaon will go for BTS - and all 3 current front runners, Psy, Big Bang, Idle have relatively low to no album sales. At this stage their ahead but it's hardest to predict

Asian/GDA/Seoul - all roughly follow a sales/judges/fan vote, but the breakdowns I don't have close at hand. They roughly follow the patterns above - stay in touch, and then a big judge or fan vote score can push you over.

For many of these, the frontrunners (*so far this year*) are those - but I'd say any of the ones that have stuck around the top - Idle, Psy, Big Bang, Red Velvet, IVE are in with a shot with fan/judge scores going their way.

This is only song of the year where mostly physicals aren't so impactful. If it's album or record then That That or Still Life aren't in play, and Idle will struggle against the big sellers of BTS/RV/IVE.

Of course if BTS release another dynamite, or IU comes back, then it all changes completely. This is just a very early mid-year prediction to it all (cept Melon and Gaon, who tend to use length of the year as scope).

Tomboy back at #3 all daily charts. It's very strong on weekends. I expect it to drop back to number 4 during the weekdays.

Still Life dropping more than I expected, That That is stabilizing at 500k, but could still rise next week.

At this rate That That, Still Life, Tomboy appear to be the 3 frontrunners for SOTY. Of course that depends on That That's longevity at bit, but those are the only 3, unless I missed something, to break 500k on Melon.

Music bank is just random first they say physical sales only count for 5% but we all know sales are carrying the score now you participate in one broadcast and suddenly you pull 5000 making no sense

The digitals and physicals are easily calculable however. In some ways it's weird, but in other ways it does kind of make sense their calculation system (in isolation) for those 2 scores.

What's the factor is their broadcast score appears to be scaled to the "max" digital score, and because the digital score criteria is what it is, the broadcast score has an outsized impact on the results. And that's what KBS wants - you want to confirm winning, come to our shows during promotional period.

So in the end they get plausible deniability, but get to put their finger on the scale. I'd say it's all rather quite clever by them to work it that way, in a "hey nice underhanded trick" kind of way.

If we ignore broadcast for a moment, a digital single can actually take home Music Bank, but they would need like 4 physical monsters to all come back in the same tracking period. It's the only music show that's so heavily dependent on when other people cameback (even more than just competition).

Where this info come from? Either way that's his business HYBE shouldn't have to lock the song in the vault because of it.

A) Where's it coming from? He's literally been arrested and being prosecuted

B)Yes. Something are more important than one song. Making a statement to wash their hands of this person. BTS have plenty of songs to put on the album.

You are really going to say, right now, that one BTS song is more important than being even a slightly bit respectful to this person's victims? Disgusting. Can't believe I'm reading such a childish attitude.

Clearly a sore spot with the SM kool-aid drinkers.

What does it matter if they perform it or not?

Mozart wrote music but he didn't play three dozen instruments simultaneously to realise it. That is the nature of composing: It's an externalisation.

Perhaps it's my fault for not elaborating clearly enough, but you've missed the point.

Performing the song doesn't matter, per se, but being the owner of the creative expression does.

So, in our collaborative band example - they collaborate together to make the music for that band or project - but then they also own it. They have to play it on tour, perform it live - big hits they will never escape from. So the group conform the song to their vision of what they want to be as a band, what they are willing to put their name to. They aren't sitting down and just dashing off mediocre songs and then washing their hands of the entire venture, as writers for hire.

Mozart's symphony's just illustrate my point before - he's not performing, but they are his singular vision. He's the one creating the music, and creates it for what he wants the symphony to play. If you pardon the comparison that's much closer to the Soyeon, G Dragon examples - yes they perform but they're writing their songs to the symphony which is their group.

For groups that have a single producer, does it make their music more authentic to just have that single voice? Why? That producer isn't performing the music either. They're writing it and moving on.

So why does the number influence that at all?

It doesn't with a band.

It actually matters greatly. You are correct in it doesn't absolve them of the factory like crap that SM and Hybe pull (Ryan Jhun is a good example of this), but it means the music and it's understanding does not die a death by a thousand cuts. I think if we talk about Kpop in particular, the most recent example I can think of is Soyeon in her latest album. She creates songs to a specific person and group, and quite honestly isn't afraid of missteps to perform that goal (which comes with it's own share of criticism). But the songs are so quintessential "Idle" in that the b-sides of their first album just never were. Their songs are almost non-adaptable to any other group simply because their written in that way, with Idle and their progress as the backline of the albums and the songs.

You don't get this in the composed by committee. You try to make a comparison about Kendrick (which is way off base again, but i'll go into that further below). The songs are interchangable. The songs can and are shopped around through different groups and artists. The artist performing them doesn't matter - that's not factored into any of these equations until maybe the songs's almost completed. What they are is simply sold off songs by a producer, often foreign, and then the SM producer works his stuff for the sensibility required by the label. The performer is never in the room or even has control over this stuff. It's worked, and reworked again, not to any specific vision, but to the notes the record label provide for what they think will have maximum impact. It's a corporate entity in it's entirety by the end. Their entire songwriter process is bereft of any artistic merit that would be carried by the writer or the performer. They'll dash off their song, do their promos, shifted some albums - great, time for the next song by committee.

I mean if you want a clear example, you can watch the release lives etc, where the artist is struggling to explain what the song means, apart from some vague affirmations.

Do you have any idea how much people need to work in a single movie? Do you think this undervalue cinema as a form of art? Do you think games aren't a form of art as well? Or at least an inferior artwork, because the vision of the piece is not enough authorial?

This and the Kendrick post fall into the same trap, where you feel my dismissal about the number of songwriters is analogous to collaboration being a bad thing.

I'll respond to both very simply - there's employees and indeed collaborators in movies, and there's definitely a few collaborators in to Pimp a Butterfly. But to also poke holes in your "auteur sucks" theory at the same time - there' still a singular creative vision. In movies, this is the Director. He works with the DoP, Set Design, actors etc, but they are the one who put it together to make the movie what it is, and then work (or sometimes it's themselves) editing it to completion. It's a widespread reason Best Director is one of the most acclaimed awards each year.

For Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick (credited as Duckworth) is the single vision, he's the one with lead in all songwriting credits, he's the one who's openly discussed how he came to put together the album, how we worked *himself* with these different people for *his* album.

It's so far removed from the world of SM/Hybe (i mean there's more then that, but I just want to use those more prevalent examples) that it's not funny.

Lastly, the purile and juvenile argument of "hur hur all kpop is commercial" is the sign of an moron. Yes, Kpop is commercial, Gold Star. There's plenty of commercial endeavours in the world, but there's still levels of quality and merit in what they produce. SM is the apotheosis of the empty kpop churn that does take up much of the industry, but it doesn't mean it should be accepted or copied (or is indeed the only way to be a Kpop Artist).

Feel free to knock yourselves out over SM all you want, but I think I've responded to the initial case of the SM question, and the attempted glib responses and cavalcade of admonishment is hilarious. There's a level of insecurity here clearly, which is concerning because your identity shouldn't be tied up in this stuff.

How are those, "most bands"?

Four bands are not "most bands".

That's not how "most bands" operate.

Most bands jam, collectively, and create music in that way.

It's a collaborative process no different to a bunch of composers in a room bouncing ideas off each other.

Concept of examples is lost on you. I used these for illustrative purposes.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/example - link just for you.

Bands can be a collaborative process. But it's a self-contained process for one musical output, even then. They are writing for one group, one output. You've got SM/Hybe producers who has about 20 different credits on one goddamn mini album, passed through sets of hands ones after the other, foreign songwriters. They aren't writing for stuff they're going to be performing. They aren't going to potentially re-live those songs over and over again for the next 5-15 years while touring. They're making sure the hook has maximum public appeal then moving on to the next song in a factor like setting.

You've tried to make a smart ass comment matching 2 completely disparate worlds and were found out.

idk how to tell you this, but kpop is literally commercial music regardless of how many producers are on a song.

Real "we live in a society" vibes right now.

Yes, Kpop is commercial. It can still have artistic merit. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Look at say, Exid, Idle, Big Bang. Their songs are totally their own, because it's a creative process that takes into account the group performance, and it's only 1-2 primary songwriters, writing for the group, their vision etc. Their songs are quintessentially "their own".

A song written by 5 composers:

A product designed by committee.

A song composed by a band with 5 members:

Self-expression of the highest order.

Way to expose your ignorance like that. Most bands and indeed the most historic bands in history (Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd etc) had most of their songs written by 1 member with another member collaborating. The entire vision of the songs and indeed their albums were created from almost a singular vision.

Pink Floyd's The Wall - Roger Waters

Beatles - Lennon and McCartney

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody - Freddie Mercury

Gun's and Roses November Rain - Axl Rose

Just exposing your ignorance mate. Good job.

People often forget there are plenty of ways to criticize how SM has conducted itself as a business.

But if you want an honest answer, anytime I see a short story of producers/composers, to me that's not a song worth listening to.

Songs are meant to be creative outlets for composers and musicians - a song with 6+ people working on it isn't a song designed to any sort of vision, it's simply a commercial music product designed by committee, for maximum focus group coverage. It's soulless even more than usual by Kpop Standards.

And that approach is very often found in SM (and also Hybe) songs. So I get why people avoid SM songs, because I can understand and agree with the reasoning to avoid them.

Also indifference isn't hate. I've outlined reasons why I personally avoid anything SM, but it's not like I'm out there hating or posting shit about their groups and members. I simply avoid them completely.

yes

but question should be ask

why the digital of kpop so low in korea

while its higher oversea

why

What? Unless you are talking pure numbers (which is easy - there are more people outside Korea then in it), but if not -

Korean melon has about 2.5million to 3million users who are active monthly, and about 5 million subscribers at peak. The average kpop song, let's say, get to around 200k ULs, which is 7.5% of the active listening base. That's not including Genie and the others but the numbers are roughly the same - 7.5%-10% of listening base have listened to a well regarded kpop song.

Spotify has 406 Million Monthly users, and the upper echelon of Kpop groups have about 1-2% of that base listening to them (4 million to 7 million monthly listeners) for an entire month.

So let's be conservative and say Koreans are 5-10 times more likely to listen to a kpop song then a global audience. This is all being very broad, but it's enough to illustrate the difference.

Thanks for the explanation. Will be interesting to see if they start introducing a UL over a week category perhaps, to account for circumstances such as this. Because they do,in the end actually count UL's overall, so I'd daresay it's possible.

How does the Album Chart work. Is it based off ULs, Streams, or a combination thereof?

I think Idle won Album Chart a number of weeks recently, probably because of Tomboy + My Bag, but still not sure of the criteria.

Is the argument you'd need to honestly have a Nonstop/Dolphin or Tomboy/My Bag combo to get number 1 now thanks to LYW?

Savage didnt do as well as I thought.

I think context is important. The compound effect of Ganadara, Tomboy then Still Life has increased the user base and active UL's a little.

Love Dive is a hit, no doubt about it, and I'm sure their fans hoping for a number #1 would probably say otherwise, but I think they had fortunate timing that UL's were elevated during this period and to come back when Big Bang did. If they came back say, when Savage did when the UL's in the top 10 overall was much less (barring IU) I would have expected very similar UL's from both those 2 songs. Eleven was a good example - top 3, yet it's top I think is a shade under 300k ULs, because of how quiet that period is.

Also, Savage 200 days later is equivalent with Loco's peak, so Savage was a pretty strong song.