Posts by Disevidence

Not yet.

Tomboy had the better peak but longevity wise, it needs 15-16 more weeks in the top 10 of Melon Weekly to tie Next Level. It's doing freaking amazing so far though, still #2 on Melon Daily and only 3k UL behind Psy. It could give Next Level a run for its money.

I mean you aren't wrong per se, and honestly it has zero bearing on anything and the topic is entirely unimportant, but disclaimer aside -

Whenever this topic has been brought up, the goalposts have moved.

"Tomboy doing well" "Oh it has to be number 1"

"Tomboy number 1" "Oh it needs to have this many ULs"

"Tomboy has more Uls" "Oh it needs to stay in top 3"

"Tomboy staying in top 3" "Oh it needs to stay in top 10" <----- We are here

The future will be something like -

"Tomboy stayed in Top 10" "Oh it needs to stay in top 100"

"Tomboy stayed in top 100" "Oh Aespa's new song meant next level dropped"

Not really important, just an observation of these silly topics over the last few months.

Who can write her own rhymes, sing, and has crown-quality-catalog songs that showcase both in an incredible way? CL covers all 3 criteria.

Potentials:

• Soyeon has the ability to write and form her own catchy hooks too. There is still room for development on her singer side. Her songs aren't 100% hitting yet, but she's getting so close. Tighter beats will make a difference.
    • Moonbyul has demonstrated her ability to sing and write her own rhymes. I don't she has enough crown Rap solo songs yet.
    • Last but not least, my favorite underdog with untapped potential, Minzy. Strong singer and capable rapper but she doesn't have any crown Rap solo songs yet. Still room for her to grow as a rapper when it comes to rap cadences.

I'd rate Soyeon's songwriting and more importantly, her lyrics/wordplay well above CL's abilities.

Fair enough about the singer stuff, plus its well understood her nasal tone turns off people.

Has there been any talk of adding Spotify to the I chart in Korea, or are they still too small for it?

Too Small. It's market share is still about 1/2 of Bugs, which itself is on the verge of irrelevancy (being Korean owned's the only thing keeping it in the chart mix).

YT music is really the trend amongst the younger koreans, it's almost caught up to Melon from the latest figures.

I think Spotify will struggle to get market share enough to start being a chart that matters.

Just want to point out that profit distribution chart was incorrect at the time, and is also several years old. At least 2 of those companies have undergone internal restructures for their Kpop/music departments since that chart, as well as some being purchased by parent companies and unknown impacts to pay structures - eg SVT renewed, unclear what change that would have wrought.

Aren't you guys talking about 2 different things?

Killingtime appears to be talking about overall, whereas Sobee is focused on the monthly chart for that month releases?

Unless Killingtime thought Psy was a may release (he was April)

Also, people should never be shocked about BG's 1st week numbers on Gaon. Downloads help enormously.

Ur underestimating, she can ge5 top 30 off of hype alone tbh

She's releasing in a crowded period, after BTS, where UL's are likely to be elevated.

Not saying she can't do top 30 but I expect it to be a highly competitive top 30 from this end of this week till the end of July. Even people like Nayeon may struggle for cut-through.

It'll be interesting to have a total UL comparison for the top 20/30 for this upcoming period, to say Feb this year and this time last year.

People also I feel sometimes vastly over-estimate what success is for soloists too.

I mean yeah Taeyeon gets up there, but many Kpop Soloists only get to 80ish peak and generally bubble in or around the 100 mark on Melon.

Some people are very quick to point out they are flops but most are selling 50k-100k and getting 50-80k uls on a consistent basis. Sure, they aren't mega hits or anything, but it's a respectable showing.

I expect Nayeon to do something similar, maybe peak at 100k uls and hit about 60 on melon then consolidate at about 40-60k uls for a month or two. If she has the right song and the right moment, yeah possibly more, but just want to point out I think measuring soloists vs their group success is not really a fair measure.

I mean there was a fair amount of mixed criticism for WSG Wannabe from Knetz, as well as (personally) the song's a bit meh, but I guess that's never stopped Jae-Suk before.

The MSG and offshots are still going strong, so maybe the lightning didn't strike this time. They've still done pretty well all things considered. There's still plenty of time for WSG to rise.

The next big Digital Monster is most likely BTS... there's a huge amount of comebacks happening over the next 2 months, but it's really BTS, then Aespa, and maybe Itzy if they pull themselves out of the decline that'll make any noise on the digital charts.

Why are people arguing about album sales in the digital thread? Album sales are like the opposite of Digital Charts.

A little bit naughtily due to the public holiday and depressed ULs, but Tomboy has taken back #1 on Melon

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'd say yes at this point. Still Life has mid longevity as expected of BB. Psy and IVE might be able to challenge, but Tomboy had an entire month on top and it's still stable.

IVE won't challenge it, unless it gets a wildly surprising re-surgence. It peaked less, and already has been overtaken by Tomboy.

That That also seems to be running out of steam (relatively) to Tomboy. Tomboy's been taking back #1 Genie and the UL gap is closing considerably on Melon.

The real problem is most likely Tomboy slips just before catching up to number 1 properly (drunken confession), and because that song is never budging from 12m a week, eventually falls back behind it. This is if we're talking purely overall points for the year, and not focusing on 2022 releases only.

Last I checked the difference was 13m a week, and the overall difference is what, 60k? So that's still a good solid 5-6 weeks where anything can slow down Tomboy.

Just want to point out something, regarding the ridiculous narrative forming that basically anything not top 5 isn't a "hit".

My Bag by Idle. It's charting about 20-30. Little better then a few previous TTs, not quite as good as other TT's. Basically a pre-tomboy TT result, charting wise.

They were performing to University Festival crowds- the entire crowd new and danced to My Bag. They knew the song. They knew the lyrics. They knew the dance.

That's basically the level of most previous tracks by Idle. To say they aren't hits (particularly Latata/Hann/Dumdi) is to just completely misread the situation.