Do you ever feel too... old? And how do you handle it?

• Ever since my birthday earlier this month I've been feeling a bit depressed over becoming older. Some years ago turning older would make me excited because I would be considered as more "adult" and taken more seriously, but nowadays, and especially when I have conversations and spend time with people younger than me, I feel like I don't connect well with them anymore? Not only that, but my opinions and preferences are gravitating towards the ones of my older sister (who is now settling and starting a new family)... I also don't have the same energy as before. For example, if I go out, by 11pm I'm too tired and I have no patience to keep going and just want to go home. And that makes me compare myself with the people who are younger (including myself, 5 years ago), who could go on all night.... I also feel like covid stole 2 years away from my youth, and it's like I took a time machine from young adult to full-on adult, without the fun part...

And because of all of this, I'm having this overwhelming need to rush things and do everything I've wanted to do "while I still have time", and start stressing out when I realize I won't have time for it all. Which is such a ridiculous way to think because you're really never too old for something... but I can't help it and I feel quite sad and depressed about this. :( I've had people reassure me than I'm not old at all, but I can't find a way to make myself feel better. I think it needs to come from me, and a different way of thinking.

Do you guys ever feel like this? And if so, how do you cope with it and what helps you feel better?

• Go to Best Answer
  • I want to say that you're not alone when you feel this way. I feel like I missed out on a lot of things because of my anxiety. My 27th birthday is in a few weeks and I feel somewhat down about it. This is kind of embarrassing to admit but I tell myself months in advance that I'm 1 year older than I really am so that way when my birthday comes I won't feel so down about it. Usually I don't feel that bad about my age, only around my birthday. I think it's a matter of trying to have a positive mindset. Knowing that we were blessed to enjoy another year when so many people weren't.

• I want to say that you're not alone when you feel this way. I feel like I missed out on a lot of things because of my anxiety. My 27th birthday is in a few weeks and I feel somewhat down about it. This is kind of embarrassing to admit but I tell myself months in advance that I'm 1 year older than I really am so that way when my birthday comes I won't feel so down about it. Usually I don't feel that bad about my age, only around my birthday. I think it's a matter of trying to have a positive mindset. Knowing that we were blessed to enjoy another year when so many people weren't.

Thank you! I understand you, I also feel like my anxiety pretty much "postponed" my youth and maturity, and I definitely could have done so much more if it weren't for it. I try not to dwell too much on the past and try to look forward to what the future will bring but it's hard to keep that mindset every single day. :(

• Yeah, sometimes I do.

And then I remember 5 years ago I also felt like that sometimes, but I was still so young. So I'm trying to be more ''in the moment'', not worrying how quickly the time is passing, because 5 years from now, I'll be thinking: ''Why was I concerned with being old, I was still so young back then''.

Aging is natural and I personally feel better when I accept that I should just follow a path that makes me happy and accomplished and not rush something just because 'I should'.

• There were times where I felt this way too a few years back when I had to start the "adult life". Now I'm 26 and don't ever think like that anymore cause I realized it was a dumb thing to stress about, it would be like feeling bad about eventually dying... like what's the point when it is something we will all go through and cannot be stopped. Just enjoy life so you don't have regrets :pepelove1:

• sometimes but then I remember I'm just comparing myself to other people's life and that will always make me frustrated in the end... no one will ever be able to have picture perfect life, even people who from the outside seem to have done things in the "righ time"

• sometimes but then I remember I'm just comparing myself to other people's life and that will always make me frustrated in the end... no one will ever be able to have picture perfect life, even people who from the outside seem to have done things in the "righ time"

This is also a problem for me, I keep comparing myself to other people (especially those who are my age) knowing damn well I shouldn't. ;(

• This is also a problem for me, I keep comparing myself to other people (especially those who are my age) knowing damn well I shouldn't. ;(

We all do that! As long as you at some point realize what you are doing I think it's fine, some people internalize that and don't even realize they're doing it and it makes things harder :pepe-puddle:

• Best Answer

This is also a problem for me, I keep comparing myself to other people (especially those who are my age) knowing damn well I shouldn't. ;(

I get that... :-( For me sometimes other people would compare and made me feel as if I would have to live my life differently. But the fact is your life is just yours and you get to decide how you live it. Things that you want, will come in the right time for you. Your path is just yours and maybe you have some things other people also wish to have.

Life it's not a race or competition, so just put yoursef on first place. Always. And surround yoursef with people that tell you, you're doing amazing at what you do, encourage you to follow what you're passionate about and that will make you happy. Not the ones that would put you down and make you feel as if you're in any way not enough.

You got this :borahae:

• Every morning when I get out of bed. :pepe-shame:

I try to remember that while it may seem like I've been here for a long time... I still have a long, long way to go and there's still plenty of time for this or that.

Remember... 60 is the new 30.

Grandma Dance GIFs | Tenor

• Since I'm only 16, I haven't been too upset about getting older (though I'm sort of excited to get older but at the same time, I'm told that "why should you be" by adults and I don't really blame them)

I do feel older when there are so many people younger than me...I mean, I know it's a natural thing, there will never not be millions of people younger than me. However...at the same time, it's sort of trippy how you grew up with things that were popular for your age not too long ago that you loved and the kids younger than you didn't. (I feel like that's how most kids my age probably from ages 14-18 feel about that)

Like the Nintendo Wii and D.S, PS3, Xbox 360...extremely iconic. And the popular shows, toys and movies that were really popular when I was younger, aren't with those who are my age back then. I remember when it was more common to go out on the playground and find kids you can play with all day then everyone on phones, tablets, computers, and consoles. Is it just me or is the age that kids get on electronic devices younger and younger every year? 9-year-olds have their own cell phones now when it used to be most kids didn't get their first phones until like 13 years old.

But I'm sort of in a gray area since I watched the things that were most popular in my childhood probably before turning 12 change and become obsolete while I'm growing up as a teenager with the new norms like having a Switch, PS4/PS5, Xbox One, and VR headsets and everything being on streaming instead of on Blu-Ray/DVD and most games releasing in online stores than getting physical copies

(I remember when we were younger and my dad, being a big video gamer, would go to GameStop or Vintage Stock or Game XChange or something and picking out games now all the games we get are in virtual stores like the PS Store or Steam or Oculus)

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• I get that... :-( For me sometimes other people would compare and made me feel as if I would have to live my life differently. But the fact is your life is just yours and you get to decide how you live it. Things that you want, will come in the right time for you. Your path is just yours and maybe you have some things other people also wish to have.

Life it's not a race or competition, so just put yoursef on first place. Always. And surround yoursef with people that tell you, you're doing amazing at what you do, encourage you to follow what you're passionate about and that will make you happy. Not the ones that would put you down and make you feel as if you're in any way not enough.

You got this :borahae:

I grew up being compared to other girls my age and to my sister all the time by my family, and it was always on a negative light. They don't do this anymore because they have also realized that it wasn't a healthy environment for me, but it was enough for me to grow as a very insecure and unsure person who has trust issues.

It had to come from me and advice from others to learn that this is not a way to live, because I believe everyone's self is built from their experiences and memories from what life brought them, so obviously they won't be the same as everybody else. But it's still something I struggle with on the daily.

Thank you so much for the nice words. <3

• No, I love getting older. I'm only 3 months off 54 and I like the maturity and wisdom that comes with age. I can't believe I've made it this far and with good health too but I like to age gracefully and have no hang ups about it.

It makes me laugh to hear some youngsters say they feel old at 30 -Lol. You're still spring chickens, wait till you get into your 50's.

• Been there... when I was your age and started seeing people on the Olympics and such who were younger than me, that's where it started to hit me... But it wasn't something that affected me on the long run.

And I feel you on that, I didn't get my own phone until I was about 12 or 13 and I remember I was one of the last people in my class to own one. Nowadays I see small kids who aren't even in primary school already handling ipads and phones. It's so weird to me...

• No, I love getting older. I'm only 3 months off 54 and I like the maturity and wisdom that comes with age. I can't believe I've made it this far and with good health too but I like to age gracefully and have no hang ups about it.

It makes me laugh to hear some youngsters say they feel old at 30 -Lol. You're still spring chickens, wait till you get into your 50's.

Thanks for the input! This helped a lot :thumbup:

• Honestly, I come to places like AKP and realize age is just a number. Your age doesn't define who you are. Yes you are more likely to have found maturity the more experience you have and experience comes with age, but its still no guarantee. Conversely being young does not mean you can't exhibit the maturity even some adults lack.

My #1 goal in life has always been to be happy. If you see things from that point of view, there is no comparison to be made, only goals to reach. Having goals gives you something to work towards, a motivation and I think that is essential if we are to grow. If you want something enough, you'll figure out how to work towards it (hopefully in a way that doesn't clash with your principles cause that won't make you happy). Along the way you may ask yourself if you still want it, but the important step was always the first one, moving forward.

• Honestly, I come to places like AKP and realize age is just a number. Your age doesn't define who you are. Yes you are more likely to have found maturity the more experience you have and experience comes with age, but its still no guarantee. Conversely being young does not mean you can't exhibit the maturity even some adults lack.

My #1 goal in life has always been to be happy. If you see things from that point of view, there is no comparison to be made, only goals to reach. Having goals gives you something to work towards, a motivation and I think that is essential if we are to grow. If you want something enough, you'll figure out how to work towards it (hopefully in a way that doesn't clash with your principles cause that won't make you happy). Along the way you may ask yourself if you still want it, but the important step was always the first one, moving forward.

i'm tearing up reading this. i needed it so much. thank you ves :borahae:

• I feel like Im getting all the negatives of being an adult and getting old; bills, responsibilities, body ached; and none of the positive things that are suppose to come with getting older.

So its sad

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I grew up being compared to other girls my age and to my sister all the time by my family, and it was always on a negative light. They don't do this anymore because they have also realized that it wasn't a healthy environment for me, but it was enough for me to grow as a very insecure and unsure person who has trust issues.

It had to come from me and advice from others to learn that this is not a way to live, because I believe everyone's self is built from their experiences and memories from what life brought them, so obviously they won't be the same as everybody else. But it's still something I struggle with on the daily.

Thank you so much for the nice words. <3

I totally understand, I think a lot of time people do it to 'motivate us', but for me this kind of comparisons never did motivate me, but would only make me feel bad. I wish people would learn that comparing someone to others is for a lot of people not motivational, but only makes them feel insecure and give up on what they're doing. :-(

It's of course hard to totally forget about it and not struggle with it, but I think it helps if you remind yourself that you're the one that makes rules and decisions for yourself. Which of course doesn't mean people close to you shouldn't give you advice if you ask for it or help you if you're in need, but they should never tell you to hurry up with what you're doing or that your accomplishments aren't enough. Or that something is missing from your life. I think life is not about accomplishments and trying to be better than other people. I believe it's about being at peace, content and happy, as much as we can.

A lot of people struggle with that and I also think about such things sometimes, those kind of thoughts is what helps me not struggle with it too much.

:borahae: To me you seem as a super sweet and gentle person and I feel like you're doing great as you do!

• Thank you <3 your posts and the other users' here really helped me feel better. I'm glad (and relieved) to see that many people understand my feelings...

• This is also a problem for me, I keep comparing myself to other people (especially those who are my age) knowing damn well I shouldn't. ;(

For me it hurts more when I compare myself with my younger self

I keep telling myself I used to be able to do this and that, why can't I anymore

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Been there... when I was your age and started seeing people on the Olympics and such who were younger than me, that's where it started to hit me... But it wasn't something that affected me on the long run.

And I feel you on that, I didn't get my own phone until I was about 12 or 13 and I remember I was one of the last people in my class to own one. Nowadays I see small kids who aren't even in primary school already handling ipads and phones. It's so weird to me...

Yeah...and even just being on the forum and seeing so many people even just a few years younger than me makes me feel kind of old 😅

Exactly! I didn't get my first cell phone until Christmas 2018, I turned 13 two months prior (I was in 7th grade). People had their own cell phones in 6th grade which is like 12-13 but I didn't really hear of anyone having their own phone before then.

I know right! I mostly mean phones where it belongs to them, they can use them most of the day and it's their own. Which I see is like 9-10 nowadays lol. But yeah...a lot of parents nowadays seem to give their younger kids tablets (sometimes their own) and borrow phones and play consoles to keep them at bay than putting them in front of the TV or having them play with other toys or other kids. So many little kids have their own tablets lol

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• One of the first threads I ever made on this forum was about a topic similar to this. I felt like the older I got, the less special I became if that makes sense. And I got along less with my younger cousins and they stopped wanting to play with me because I'm "too old." Even though I'm still young and have a youthful side, I'm maturing super fast it feels. Now with college I have less time to go party with friends and show the side of me I want to show.

I also lost of lot of my energy. Lot of that has to do with me having anemia and sometimes I feel like I'm gonna faint and in some cases I do. But it's true when you're a young kid you naturally have lots of energy but it decays when you get older. It's a totally normal thing (unless there's another reason for it like me)

Growing up is not easy and if it gets to the point where you're feeling depressed, you can seek help. Hope it gets better!

• I'm not old everyone else is just too young!!!

• i feel old all the time, but then i just think about how lucky i am to even have the luxury of getting older. so many people have died before even reaching my age, even before they could reach adulthood. so i'm grateful for every moment i can continue.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• not in 3 months i'm not ;(

and then you'd only be

• love you zuzuzuzu <3

• Once you start working some full time desk job you’ll feel like a kid again because everyone is gonna be much older than you.

I felt oldest between like 18-21 because I was consuming teenage content in media like books and tv while I was a few years older and that made me feel super old.

Then I went to work and realized…. I’m gonna be a kid till I turn 30 and no one is ever going to take me seriously. :angryr: :cryingr:

• This thread contains 4 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!