Demographics of people who buy albums of male and female idols according to Aladdin

• Based on the most recent album

Female Male

BTS.webp

BTS

EXO.webp

EXO

SHINee.webp
    SHINee

NCT-DREAM.webp

NCT DREAM

NCT-127.webp

NCT 127

The-Boyz.webp

The Boyz

TXT.webp

TXT

Stray-Kids.webp

Stray Kids

IU.webp

IU

BLACKPINK.webp

BLACKPINK

TWICE.webp

TWICE

Red-Velvet.webp

Red Velvet

Aespa.webp

Aespa

IVE.webp

IVE

Kep1er.webp

Kep1er

1. BTS must have a lot of fans from their 10s to 60s; My friends’ mothers are BTS fans so they often buy albums and hang out together… BTS has a lot of fans regardless of age or gender…

2. Why does Kep1er have so many people in their 40s…? Do babies ask their mothers to buy albums?

3. Wow, these days, female fans buy more female idol albums

4. There are ARMYs in their 10s, 20s and 40s at my house

5. It’s weird that HYBE’s groups seem to have a lot of fans in their 40s?

6. BLACKPINK is amazing.. They are so popular among both men and women

7. BTS has a lot of fans in their 40s… Isn’t that a good thing?

8. EXO and SHINee are amazing, they still have a lot of fans in their 20s

9. BTS sold 2 million copies in the first half of the year, so if you look at the numbers, there are a lot of people in their 20s and 30s

10. I’m surprised that TXT has a lot of fans in their 40s

Original post (1)

• Yea, I agree that BTS stands out amongst others in appeal spanning generations. What about your daughter? Is she into KPOP?

She likes some of it mainly second gen stuff and has a good playlist that we listen to together in her car.

• A random comment but imo this chart just proves that girl groups are somewhat always marketed towards males regardless of when it comes to kpop. International fans tend to assume that kpop girl groups have similar fanbases to western girl bands when that’s not true at all.

• A random comment but imo this chart just proves that girl groups are somewhat always marketed towards males regardless of when it comes to kpop. International fans tend to assume that kpop girl groups have similar fanbases to western girl bands when that’s not true at all.

nah...it just proves that BGs are 100% marketed towards fangirls and GGs are geared towards GP...which includes both males and females.

• nah...it just proves that BGs are 100% marketed towards fangirls and GGs are geared towards GP...which includes both males and females.

GP really don’t buy albums tho.. these groups are pulling big numbers and it’s even missing some groups.

• This is article is giving stats on album buying. How would these stats reflect anything about how GP is broken down as they don't buy albums. I think that was the point of the person you are quoting.

a little extrapolation is fine. There's nothing controversial in saying the obvious which is ggs have gp and bgs don't except for bts.

• a little extrapolation is fine. There's nothing controversial in saying the obvious which is ggs have gp and bgs don't except for bts.

I'm not saying it's controversial - it's definitely not - but it's also not something that this data is applicable to as it's only giving stats on fans - the ones who do buy albums.

True.

I think a conclusion that could be drawn from these charts in the OP is that girl groups have a larger percentage of male fans in their fanbase, while boy group interest seems to be completely dominated by female fans.

However much this will influence marketing is another discussion. But I can imagine that for boy groups the marketing and promotion for albums will be more focused towards female fans, while for girl groups promotion and marketing will be more evenly spread, keeping into account both male and female fans.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• True.

I think a conclusion that could be drawn from these charts in the OP is that girl groups have a larger percentage of male fans in their fanbase, while boy group interest seems to be completely dominated by female fans.

However much this will influence marketing is another discussion. But I can imagine that for boy groups the marketing and promotion for albums will be more focused towards female fans, while for girl groups promotion and marketing will be more evenly spread, keeping into account both male and female fans.

The first part is definitely true. Marketing when it comes to kpop is interesting and I also think society's treatment and expectations of the genders comes into play in a pretty big way, but that's taking this another level if we want to get into that.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!