Reason for BP huge difference between their YT streams & Spotify streams?

• BP is currently among the top 5 most streamed acts on YouTube daily & by end of the year they will either be #2 or #3 or maybe even #1 on the platform (they've been consistently pulling 17M-19M on a daily basis since January 1st)

But on spotify BP is not even among top 20 or maybe even top 25 most streamed acts on a daily basis

Acts like bad bunny & bts are pulling almost similar numbers (which is pretty cool tbh) across both platforms but then there's acts like Taylor swift & Drake who pull almost triple amount of streams on spotify compared to their daily YT numbers.. Basically a similar case to BP...

Is it a geographical thing? Or is it a fandom thing or a demographic one?!

Discuss.

Ps: YT streams are combination of MV views & audio streams from YT music (for example THE ALBUM has over 500M audio streams on YT music alone)

• Y'all care more about visuals in general, like expensive looking mvs, than about music itself, the only thing you can stream on spotify. It's simple.

• The way yg creates a poster for every 100 M views. Why are u asking this question? Blinks love streaming on youtube for records. They should stream on spotify more.

• It kinda is a thing with kpop in general though. Youtube has overall a bigger userbase and some places where bp is really popular are not that sold on spotify yet (japan where spotify is not the biggest streaming platform) or it just released recently (south korea). Then you also have sea countries which have always mostly used yt but are using spotify more every year too.

In bp's case it got better this year tho, hylt on spotify is half of the yt views unlike kill this love which was like a third. Besides, can you blame people for streaming bp's mvs so much? they are better than everything else in kpop

• an army telling us about music while they are jacking off to a grammy nom for the most generic song which wasn't made by the group. Cmon get off ur high horse

Idc about the grammys at all tho, just like y'all don't care about music, miss me with your bs, dealed with your shit in other forum already, freak.

• Who tf are u to tell me i don't care about music? Gtfo

You just guessed I cared about something I don't care about and got mad I guessed you don't care about something you really don't care about as well so yeah, gtfo, lmao, y'all hilarious.

• You just guessed I cared about something I don't care about and got mad I guessed you don't care about something you really don't care about as well so yeah, gtfo, lmao, y'all hilarious.

did u hit ur head or something because wtf is this?

• Spotify is more popular in America, Brazil, some other LA countries, and Europe. In other parts of the world, domestic charts + YT reign.

YT is much more accessible, to keep it short.

Just a random note, as a south american while popular I'm pretty sure yt is still way more used than spotify, we always prefer what's free lol. But yeah I agree with the rest of your post

• Just a random note, as a south american while popular I'm pretty sure yt is still way more used than spotify, we always prefer what's free lol. But yeah I agree with the rest of your post

I said "some other LA countries" like Mexico. I know YT is more accessible elsehwere.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• 1) Traditionally kpop is bigger on Youtube than Spotify.

2) Youtube is - in my opinion - Blackpink 'platform', even before Instagram. Blinks are focusing on Youtube's records, more than Spotify's.

3) Geographical preferences. For example, I think that BP is the biggest kpop act on Apple Music ( they have a good fanbase in the US ). Maybe BP is less popular in places where Spotify is completely dominant. Also, now that Spotify is in South Korea, BP might be bumped up a bit.

4) Someone already talked about it, but there is some appeal to four pretty girls dancing in a aesthetically pleasing MV. That's just how it is. Twice also has higher streams on Youtube than Spotify, for example, and I'm sure that's true for literally every GG.

• I said "some other LA countries" like Mexico. I know YT is more accessible elsehwere.

That's the thing, I don't think mexico or brazil find spotify any more accesible than other la countries, they might seem richer because of their high populations but they are still third world countries, developing at best. But anyways I'm kinda derailing the main point, don't mind my post :sweatr:

• Spotify is more popular in America, Brazil, some other LA countries, and Europe. In other parts of the world, domestic charts + YT reign.

YT is much more accessible, to keep it short.

my (really small and irrelevant) european country was among 13 countries that got spotify last july, including russia and ukraine. russia and ukraine are the only ones that have charts, meaning other countries don't have enough subscribers. even their numbers are poor; first place in ukraine has 12,950 streams, and in russia 61,746 streams. i'm not getting used to using it, 97% of my streams are on youtube. youtube here is really popular and our views are MASSIVE for a country of 7 million people. long story short, i'm sticking to youtube

• So perhaps their spotify streams are more accurate example of the fandom strength while YT is heavily boosted by casuals?

Major of BP from SEA, where YouTube is more popular than Spotify. In the west or South Asian, Spotify and youth are actually matching each other while in SEA, YouTube rule :-)

• Not sure about others but personally I discontinued Spotify due to the music quality being lower than AM and I love the seamless transition between song and MV on Youtube Music.

Most of my SEA friends (one of the main market for Blackpink streamers) also felt the same. So I think some of us transitioned to Youtube Music users and ditch Spotify. Not sure whether data back that up or not but yeah

• There are many factors and some of them have already been mentioned here. But I'll say it mostly depends on fans.

I'll tell you what people like me do as I have noticed this with many of my colleagues. I am working or attending classes for 12-16 hrs of a day so I don't get time to watch literally anything. So most of my music or books or entertainment consumption is through audio streaming platforms like Spotify, AM, etc.

The fans who have enough free time preferably use YT or video streaming platforms while those who don't, preferably use audio streaming platforms.

The conclusion is I think most blinks are more like former than later. That's why the results.

• are you seriously asking why? It's not that hard to figure out though.

It relies on the listening patterns of countries where artists are popular .

Your faves are mainly popular in SEA where youtube is more utilized. While western artists like drake are popular in the US where spotify and apple music are heavily used.

BTS the global artist that they are have both youtube and spotify. BTS has been pulling consistently approx 20 Million daily streams in the last months without a comeback :

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This thread contains 49 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!