How do you define stage presence?

• This

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

agreed :yesr:

• For me it's a mixt between charisma, facial expression, energy on stage and performance skills ( dance skills but also rap/vocals). A performer with a good presence is versatile and can fit different types of songs.

Mamamoo and BTS are groups who have a good stage presence for me. They know how to command a stage but they also don't forget to have fun and be playful.

• Stage presence for me is someone who perfectly embodies the song/moment.

Like if they are supposed to be sexy, they give you sexy. If they are supposed to give you hard hitting, they give you hard hitting. You want cool, you got it. Cute? You got it. Their facial expressions are on point, and their dancing is natural, effortless, and entertaining. They also have energy, charisma, and attitude. Like, you can tell they are in the moment and not half assing it.

To summarize, someone who knows how to perform. They can turn it on easily. When you watch them, you don't think,...something's off. Like, they have you captivated from beginning to the end because you don't want to miss a second.

Very few KPOP idols have this for me. Even in my favorite groups, there are only key members who give me this.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• This

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

a slayer honestly

• this

without any kind of well-crafted execution of choreography

without any kind of scenery or props

hold a performance only on charisma and talent

• This

One of the debates I saw was about whether this was more pulling faces and playing an over the top character rather than stage presence. I've seen people argue about this before with a lot of different performers actually and not just in kpop. Is stage presence about big and frequent facial expressions?

• Do you think all the members of skz have the same level of stage presence? Do you feel that their stage presence as a whole is better than the stage presence of the members individually? Does chemistry between the members come into play?

• I'm interested in the effortless point. Do some performers come across as trying too hard to have stage presence. Performers should give their all, but is it possible to give too much and ruin that presence?

• Can someone have great stage presence without having great dance/vocal/rap skills?

Not a question directed at me, but yes.

Just look at actors, comedians, and even politicians. IMO politics is much more about how you carry yourself and how well you speak versus how educated you are.

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• I'm interested in the effortless point. Do some performers come across as trying too hard to have stage presence. Performers should give their all, but is it possible to give too much and ruin that presence?

Some people look like they are struggling when they dance or sing. Even if they do it well. And, it's painful to watch. Also, if someone is trying to be a "hard" rapper, and they don't naturally have the presencee, it just comes off as tryhard.

I think that's where things get subjective though. Because someone to me might look like they are trying too hard, but to someone else, they may just look charismatic or energetic.

• To me it’s when the performer is expressing the music with their bodies/ facial expression. They make you feel the music. When I see someone without stage presence it just look like they are remembering what the next dance move is and not really in the moment.

• Seulgi = Stage Presence :|:|:|

Okay let me tell you when she perform the air changes. I love everything when she is one stage. Her dance move are always on point, Her Voice is always full of passion. Her expression speaking 100 words. You can always say that she give more then 100% when she is on stage.

Just watch her G.O.T fanam alone the part at 1:35 show what a powerful stage present she have. Everything was so powerful her dance move , Her Voice , Her expression. She embodies the moment in the most perfect way

Edited once, last by Byleth ().

• Great confidence + facial expression + gestures + body language + delivery. It captivates you. You should know it when you see it.

Soyeon has top-tier stage presence.

External Content youtu.be

• Unpopular opinion but for me, its about the technical skills

The artist has to have a great technical skills to absorb the song and performance and then spit it out as their own

alot of what other people seem to be describing is over exaggerated facial expressions

• Blackpink at coachella, or a nation 2019. SNSD at mcountdown la 2014. Not a fan, but 2ne1 and BigBang at mama 2015. Those are great example of stage presence, not only facials and the same ass boring choreo done for 13th time again, but connecting with the audience, engagement and setting the thing in fire

• It's kinda hard to explain, you either have it or not even tho stage presence, just like charisma and confidence, kinda can grow through years, but basically it's the ability of performer to captivate and command the attention of the audience, to control and direct it.

You should never judge group's or any act stage presence by videos like those music show videos of performance with close-ups and all that camerawork to highlight needed parts and to hide not needed ones. The only way for you to judge is to watch a fancam of whole group (you know those fancams from one front angle) if they can keep your attention through the whole performance without your thoughts and eyes being drawn away by anything then for you this act has a good stage presence. But that's kinda subjective.

To have an objective perspective you need to see how the group itself behaves cause, believe me, they themselves and especially their companies are pretty aware of their ability or inability to hold audience's attention and thus they behave according to it. So if group doesn't do just static and flat performances on one place (I mean, those typical kpop dances and stages), but instead can do whole no-choreo performance while changing their positions and interacting with audience but most importantly if this group uses in one performance few stages (you know on concerts or award shows they usually have big and small stage and artist can go from one to another) then that means that the group has quite good stage presence cause it's easier to control something static than to remember to move from one place to another while being engaged with audience and not loose your focus and artistic intention. If you see group being very static during their performance, for example, using just one stage on award show then this group doesn't have much of stage presence and their company knows it so they make such type of performance for them.

Good examples of stage presence: BTS (obviously, absolute Kings), Bigbang, Mamamoo.

Same for solo acts cause obviously no matter what stage presence of a group as a whole is it varies for members within the group. If you see very static very typical kpop-like performance stuck on one place then this idol has not so good stage presence, can't really command and keep attention of the audience and both idol and company knows that and try to make idol's life easier by such flat performance. The absolute monster of stage presence as solo is Hoseok, he is literally the Art and Stage Presence personified. Charismatic King can do whatever on stage and he will have audience's full attention regardless while commanding them with an ease and raising entertainment through the roof: for his solo stage Just Dance he appeared on main stage, went from it to small stage and then went back to main stage again and all of that while singing live and not loosing his focus and audience even for a second - that's how capable he is.

Kinda like this.

• Can someone have great stage presence without having great dance/vocal/rap skills?

I'd say it's possible but it's harder. I think they need to be able to deliver at a certain level but it's not only about technical skills. Like even if you aren't a power vocalist if you know how to use your voice you can still deliver emotions and create an impactful, dynamic performance. But it's easier to sound good if you already are a strong vocalist.

I guess I could add knowing your strengths and charms as part of stage presence.

Stage presence is a combination of things so as long as you're at a basic level you could in theory compensate with excelling at other parts.

• Blackpink at coachella, or a nation 2019. SNSD at mcountdown la 2014. Not a fan, but 2ne1 and BigBang at mama 2015. Those are great example of stage presence, not only facials and the same ass boring choreo done for 13th time again, but connecting with the audience, engagement and setting the thing in fire

oooh yes, BigBang at 2015 MAMA would be one of my top picks for stage presence

The artist has to have a great technical skills to absorb the song and performance and then spit it out as their own

alot of what other people seem to be describing is over exaggerated facial expressions

Agree. I think that also goes hand in hand with it looking effortless.

When an artist has a handle on their craft, they are able to make it look easy. Even though it's not.

And the easier it looks the more impressive it is for those who know how difficult it is. Almost like watching a gymnast compete.

Though you need more than that when performing in the entertainment industry (imo).

Edited once, last by keyboardwarrior7 ().

• One of the debates I saw was about whether this was more pulling faces and playing an over the top character rather than stage presence. I've seen people argue about this before with a lot of different performers actually and not just in kpop. Is stage presence about big and frequent facial expressions?

The idols of people who complain about other idols facial expressions: 🗿

I think it's about a lot of things like energy on stage too, not just facial expressions.

• I do think Soyeon is an amazing performer (as well as being talented in many other ways)

I don't think they necessarily have to have top tier skills. I feel like that's separate and that I've seen people who weren't amazing dancers and singers, but had tons of charisma.

I do agree about the facial expressions thing. There are plenty of performers that I love to watch that use more natural expressions and just seem to be enjoying the stage rather than doing expressions that they practiced in a mirror.

• Stage presence; the ability to command stage and capture attention

You dont have to hype the crowd. Nor you need flashy stages and backup dancers. You could be dancing or not, singing an intense track, a rather chill song or a ballad. For me it's about how well you execute/master.

• baekhyun is the best example of what having great stage presence means imo

He manages to match the energy of each song he performs perfectly whew

• Stage presence; the ability to command stage and capture attention

You dont have to hype the crowd. Nor you need flashy stages and backup dancers. You could be dancing or not, singing an intense track, a rather chill song or a ballad. For me it's about how well you execute/master.

Oof not us coming with the baekhyun tea at the same time :pepe-hehe:

• Yes, I agree that editing can do a lot to improve or hide a performer's stage presence. Being able to see a full view of the stage for a group or a fancam or an individual will give you the best perspective if you can't be their live. I think some groups are just very focused on their choreography and don't like to deviate from it though so I wouldn't necessarily judge them for that. I do prefer when there is a bit more freedom during award shows and concerts though.

• This thread contains 39 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!