What Makes You Choose Kpop Over Any Other Genre Of Music As Your Favourite?

• Kpop is not my favorite genre of music. I like kpop because it offers something different from what I've been listening to for decades; but for me it's still the inferior genre as it's too much tied to the current time. It's an art, or a product, of the present moment; whereas in other genres you can vibe to material released 40 years go because it still rocks. One could say it's because kpop is too young, that's all. But I'm doubtful since lots of 2nd gen stuff is already a little hard hard to listen to today.

There's possibly a few exceptions to what I just said. But if there are exceptions indeed, then they don't necessarily represent the kpop genre as a whole; and the kpop genre as a whole is what I'm addressing. So don't be mad.

• K-pop as a whole is a very unique universe that's fun to engage with.It's not just about the music,but the entire visual/performance aspect.I also like that it offers a variety of different sounds and genres within it.

• For me, it was a variety of things:

* One of the first K-Pop songs that I ever heard ("Kill This Love" by BLACKPINK) was undoubtedly a girl crush song and at the time, it was groundbreaking, especially as someone who mostly listened to either really old songs, country or pop music before (mostly because that was what people around me played a lot). It was harder hitting and fiercer and even though I couldn't understand what they were saying, it subconsciously unlocked this hidden side to me at the time. It encouraged me to be bolder in my daily life in a way and let me know that it was okay to have this other side to me, as long as I wasn't rude with it. It showed me a part of myself that I didn't know that I previously had.

* One of the most impactful songs I discovered ("Likey" by TWICE) taught me that there is music for people like me. As a child, I stayed a child for a long time, and in some ways, I still am. I still liked Hello Kitty into my teenage years, I sometimes still break into song or start running randomly, just for the fun of it, sometimes I'll say random stuff that pops into my head, there's a long list to be honest, but my point is that even as a teen, I acted childish in the way you would except elementary school aged children to be. Yet, in the U.S., and I'm pretty sure other Western countries as well, that idea isn't really accepted, and people are expected to act older than they are, or at the very least, their actual age. I assumed I was the only person in the world who acted like this and there must be something wrong with me. Then I learned that there were countries where acting child-like was accepted and I began to wonder if maybe I was just born in the wrong place for me.

One day, I discover "Likey" through YouTube recommendations and curiosity and the second it starts playing, I fall in love with it. Up until that day, I had never heard a more bright or more upbeat song. I wasn't really paying attention to the lyrics, but they all looked so happy too and like they were having fun. Even though I know now it was probably all acting, it taught me that people can act like I do and enjoy it and be happy and there is nothing wrong with it. I had also previously thought that all the "happy" songs were made for small children (like "Wheels on the Bus", "Baby Shark" and so on) and adults didn't listen to or have such music. Discovering that song taught me that they do, I just have to know where to look and that I can still enjoy happy sounding songs like "Likey" as an adult with no shame in it. I went to relisten to the song while writing this answer and I may or may not have teared up a bit remembering what this song taught me and what it symbolizes for me (don't worry, it was happy tears, not sad ones). No matter how old I get or how far I may one day drift from K-Pop, those two songs ("Kill This Love" and "Likey") will always have a very special place in my heart.

* Lastly, I did it because I realized most people around me had a role model and I wanted one too. I wanted to have someone to admire and look up to, so I could try to be like them, but with my own unique spin on them. After all, what's the point in being exactly like someone else? Whenever I looked for one in Western entertainment, at least at first, I found no one but bad influences and for a while, I thought that I wouldn't find one and that everyone was messed up and corrupt. Something about how K-Pop idols were presented and acted made them seem like better role models to me (I mean, compare someone like Felix to Cardi B and do you notice the disparity already?). They didn't do drugs or smoke as openly, didn't cuss as much and just seemed more wholesome in general. Now I'm at an age where I realize that role models don't have to be perfect, and I have an equal amount of both Western and K-Pop role models, but K-Pop showed me (initially) that a person can be famous and still be a good influence at a time where I began to doubt if such people even existed.

So, those are my reasons. First, it was music that gave me a hidden rebellious side and unleashed a new part of me I didn't know I had, then it was music that seemed like it was made just for me, then it was the role model situation. An honorable mention goes towards K-Pop songs with deep meanings that resonated with me because I used to think Western songs didn't discuss those sorts of things, but in hindsight, it was just because I was either too young to fully grasp the meaning of the song and I was listening to the wrong Western music. I also got sick of so many Western songs I loved being about sex and while that happens in K-Pop sometimes too, not nearly as much or as openly. Have a great day/night!

• It's not my favourite. That would be 80's retro music. The music of my teens in the 80's. It's just another type of music I listen to but wouldn't say I am passionate about it.

• i guess its just normal for me? i don't think kpop is better in any aspect other than the MVs and crazy stages/choreography.

just song-wise i think i could settle for American pop.

• I don't think I have a favorite. There are just certain qualities and elements that I find appealing that can be found in more than a couple genres. One of the reasons I like K-Pop is because I see a willingness to improve among some acts and a potential for it to grow into something bigger, over the long-term, if at least a few smart agencies don't lose sight of keeping the basics covered.

• I don't know if it's my fav genre of music but I like the additional content that kpop groups have which is missing in other spheres

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!