Which is the best source of revenue for a K-pop act?

• On an average, which is the best source of revenue for a decently popular K-pop act? 38

1. Music - digitals/albums etc. (0) 0%
    2. CFs - Modelling, Social Media endorsements (11) 29%
    3. Acting - dramas, movies (0) 0%
    4. Concert tours - Pre-Pandemic (25) 66%
    5. Merchandise and other? (2) 5%

Just the best source of revenue to the "company". Without getting into how the company splits the money, distributes between one or more idols etc.

And irrespective of quantum of work, a CF might take only a day's worth of work, while a drama/movie make take months.

Edited 3 times, last by bbgc ().

• 2020 bts

this is what i could find

merch sales seem to be the most

Q4

Albums – specifically BTS’s Be, which released on November 20th, 2020 – generated the lion’s share of the quarterly income, at $126.86 million or so (₩140.82 billion). Concert revenue fell to zero, as the capital generated by the seven-piece group’s record-setting Map of the Soul ON:E pay-per-view show, which occurred in October, seems to have been classified under “content.”

Specifically, Big Hit’s content earnings totaled $72.88 million (₩80.89 billion) on the quarter, whereas “fees for advertisement and appearance” brought in some $12.4 million (₩13.76 billion). Merchandise and licensing revenue grew year over year but dipped from Q3 2020, at $60.61 million (₩67.28 billion), with income from “fan club and others” having finished at $8.59 million (₩9.54 billion).

Overall

Big Hit made $233.38 million (₩259.05 billion) on merchandise and licensing fees in all of 2020, to $120.24 million (₩133.47 billion) on content and $29.68 million (₩32.95 billion) on fan club and other sources.

Big Hit Entertainment Reveals Over $715 Million in 2020 Revenue
    Big Hit Entertainment generated a staggering $715 million in 2020 - up from some $500 million in 2019 - despite the pandemic.
    www.digitalmusicnews.com

• Well damn, I had an essay ready to go and everything but i don't need one now..

• I'm not sure tbh. All I know is that H.O.T's Moon Hee-jun said his group generated 100 billion won per year in the 90's, which as of 2013 would be 400-500 billion won per year with inflation.

Edited 6 times, last by 2techs ().

• For me CFs was definitely the best considering that you are directly getting paid for it without investing to much or probably none at all.

Another thing was probably festival/university performances especially for GGs.

• DF8F5521-645F-468F-9157-28E2CE28BBC3.jpeg

This is from Billboard. Albums were still bighit biggest income for 2020

• Depends on the situation, for some acts it will be CF, for some concerts, for some albums and for a few its digitals. Its not like every act out there can do BTS numbers in everything.

• Depends on the situation, for some acts it will be CF, for some concerts, for some albums and for a few its digitals. Its not like every act out there can do BTS numbers in everything.

Yes that's why I mentioned average and decently popular - to exclude the few immense successes and the many who don't have any fame.

• the question depends on what one means by "best"

is that implying most profitable or most gains for least amount of work?

for example people above have said concerts and CFs whilst profitable for the idol requires them to actually "work" whereas for something like merch or licencing they don't need to actually " work " per se as oppose to just utilising their brand name

• the question depends on what one means by "best"

is that implying most profitable or most gains for least amount of work?

for example people above have said concerts and CFs whilst profitable for the idol requires them to actually "work" whereas for something like merch or licencing they don't need to actually " work " per se as oppose to just utilising their brand name

The original post details already addresses the quantum of work.

And it is about best revenue, it is obviously about profitability.

Edited once, last by bbgc ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!