Does ugly and cliche name affect the popularity of a group?

• Have you ever seen the name of a kpop group and directly thought this must be a nugu or flop group? Honestly, for me names like Saturday, Too, Beauty Box, and Weeekly even with 3 E are very difficult to find on Google especially before unless they are from a large company that has a lot of attention from the media. And wtf with Botopass, GreatGuys and Dustin, like who give the company idea with such horrible name. And not forgetting the onlyoneof, onf and offonoff groups. I thought they are all from the same group, is it difficult for their company to give a different name from another group and be more special with it?

There are also some names from famous groups that I feel quite ugly at first but it is just grows in me like Mamamoo. I like them so much but the first time I heard their name, I couldn’t help but laugh. And Ab6ix reminds me of the name of that masculine gym just for man, sorry. And name like Bts and Twice can kill popularity if used by the wrong group and you know why. Luckily it goes to the right owner.

Honorable mention: If I search 'Solar' in Google, just something related to solar energy that came out and i must add Mamamoo in the back. Like girl, you're famous but your name is hard to search.

• Bananapple

Changed the title of the thread from “Does the name affect the popularity of a group?” to “Does ugly and cliche name affect the popularity of a group?”.
  • But their name means Bulletproof Boy Scouts, which is far from a cliche. It has nothing to do with behind the scenes.

Errr... The short form, dear. BTS. I stated there that Bts stand for Bangtan Sonyeondan for them. As early fans, before they get popular, you need to type their longer name to get them as the results and if you search for BTS, only bunch of videos about behind the scenes will come out from google. Now you can simply search Bts and they're the first results to come out. And I believe many only know them as Bts especially non kpop fans and not by their official longer name.

• But how people will stan if their name alone make it harder to find any information about them. I'm interested with this nugu group name beauty box but I give up because it is harder to get information about them because of their name.

there are kpop wikis where you can find pretty much everything though.

Beauty Box
    Beauty Box (뷰티박스) is a six-member multinational girl group under BY-U Entertainment. They made their debut on September 23, 2021 with the single album "Beyond…
    kpop.fandom.com

if you have problems finding an artist, I always add 'korean' or 'kpop' in my search.

e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj 1c0edef70bd6974f36d15be96d5399a1cfaed76e.gifv c205b019cd8a46c569e9c4e2f04194a2fde39f74.gifv e27eb299e8ce0bafba7649c82fc04d200d42a974.gifv e7d1119bd4bbe2a24c5185fd89153163a8e95675.pnj

♦ visit my aesthetic shop here

• Errr... The short form, dear. BTS. I stated there that Bts stand for Bangtan Sonyeondan for them. As early fans, before they get popular, you need to type their longer name to get them as the results and if you search for BTS, only bunch of videos about behind the scenes will come out from google. Now you can simply search Bts and they're the first results to come out. And I believe many only know them as Bts especially non kpop fans and not by their official longer name.

It's not a cliche name just because the abbreviation is the same as a common term. I think you meant to say that the short form of their name is common.

Tell me if my voice isn’t real
    If I shouldn’t have thrown myself away

sFWYLKc.gif

• tbh i think it would have been cool to have bts' official abbreviation as bangtan. bts is definitely more digestible for a western audience but bangtan would have been more instantly recognizable as them when they were coming up

• I've tried to stan groups with cliche names (such as beauty box for example) but the fact it's so hard to find any information about them threw me off. I had to spend long time googling and searching and looking for something actually related to the groups.

If it's a cliche name by big4 group though, as odd as it is, it will be easy to find it. Txt's name was very hard to search for in pre debut era because only abbreviations of text were popping up. Now when you type in their name in the search bar, the group will show up immediately

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!