What’s your opinion of male idols demeaning/insulting each other?

• What’s your opinion of male idols demeaning/insulting each other? 11

1. It’s wrong, everyone should have basic human decency. Even among friends/coworkers (6) 55%
    2. It’s OKAY as long as they are friends. My friends insult me all the time (5) 45%

So we all agree Jae slutshaming Jamie is fucking disrespectful and being friends is no reason for excuse. But at the same time male idols have a habit of making fun of each other and more often seem to cross the line. Like EXO Baekhyun and Chanyeol mocking Kai for his darker skin and BTS Jin calling Jimin a fat pig. But usually what happens is these idols get a pass and don’t get called out. There’s many examples but what I often hear is that this is common among friends.

• Being mean and insulting to another person is never ok, never mind the gender.

I really appreciate it when idols are positive and supportive toward each other, even if they are in competitive groups.

For example 2PM and Highlight were always seen as SHINee's competition but this year both of those groups posted so many positive messages and support toward SHINee. Positivity always makes me wanna check those groups and their comebacks.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• There's a difference between making comments in jest with the other person present and just randomly blasting someone online..

• Difference is guys talking to other guys present or not present. I'm going to hit that nerve but its the fucking truth. Thr only reason these things get traction is because its a guy saying it to a woman plain and simple. The two individuals could literally be brother and sister and be 100% vulgar to each other and not care about it. But people will lose their fucking shit because the exchange was between a female and a man. Had kai and baekhyun not been two men twitter would have gone nuclear. But because its men fingers are off the trigger.

• there's a difference between saying things in jest and private versus saying things openly

also remember that each person's "line" may be different as to what crosses it or not...

• wrong too but completely different cases

the brown skin thing is a colorism issue on top of just not being funny at all

this is a misogyny issue

you can’t compare cake and meat

• Theres a time and place for it.

Guys call each other dumb stuff all the time, and as long as both parties are ok with it, whatever, but context and situation matter.

Behind closed doors, in the dorm, backstage when it's just "the boys"? Whatever, guys will rip each other.

But when theres an audience, you gotta consider the audience and how they will take it. At the least, the guys might look boorish and rude, at worst other people might be downright offended and upset and it looks unprofessional. Me and my two close co-workers/friends call each other the silliest, meanest stuff when it's just the three of us. When their are customers/management around, we act much, much more professional.

End of the day, idols are yeah just human and normal guys who might give each other some spice, BUT they are also professionals in a way who need to recognise how they are perceived.

You also gotta think, as a person, if you want OTHERS who aren't your friends calling you that. Theres some things my close friends call me that I am ok with them using that. If others, like just a casual friend or distant co-worker called me that, we going to throw down, or I'd be quite upset.

• true but also people on the outside shouldn't be getting offended or upset for over shit between other people that like talking to each other that way. Like the example you used with your friends at work. Yes you are right there's a level of professionalism by doing it in private. But what would be the response if someone happened upon it maybe walked into a room they weren't meant to be in an witnessed it? The following outrage still wouldn't be justifiable. People need to learn to mind their own fucking business.

this is a misogyny issue

It's the same thing all together. If you find one offensive as the other than they should be treated the same they both are cake then there is no difference. It's also pathetic and hypocritical how people react to these "jokes" between others who talk like this to each other. When they themselves make these types of jokes about idols publicly all the time if not on the fourms or Twitter its on YouTube I can't count the billions of comments or video titles about xyz boy group members being a thot or thot line or fuckboy. Same is said about girl groups as well from their fans. But to them this is totally fine. But want to get offended if two strangers use it as a joke between each other. If these things are deemed insensitive then don't fucking use them at all you can't say its fine to use here but not there.

this is a misogyny issue

That's like saying, "this person got punched, the other got kicked, you can't compare them". But the end result is they both got hurt, that's what is being compared, not the methodology.

• Based on some of these responses I'm wondering how the reaction would be if Jae wasn't an almost nugu but an actual popular idol. How many shields would he have received rather than criticism, ie. "it's just a JOKE, it's Jamie's fault for not knowing how to take a JOKE".

• for me even tho the others members are fine with it I don't approve of it because even tho they don't say anything about it, deep inside it will be engrave in their subconsciousness an it will have a great impact to them without them knowing

So we all agree Jae slutshaming Jamie is fucking disrespectful and being friends is no reason for excuse. But at the same time male idols have a habit of making fun of each other and more often seem to cross the line. Like EXO Baekhyun and Chanyeol mocking Kai for his darker skin and BTS Jin calling Jimin a fat pig. But usually what happens is these idols get a pass and don’t get called out. There’s many examples but what I often hear is that this is common among friends.

• it all depends on the other person's reaction imo. i might not approve of certain comments, but if that's how peoples friendship works, not a lot we can do about it.

BUT, i'm really glad that my faves have pretty much stopped using such 'teasing', at least from what i can see. Even if some comments were in jest/'typical korean' , i really didn't like them. i believe they just matured out of it throughout the years.

• it all depends on the other person's reaction imo. i might not approve of certain comments, but if that's how peoples friendship works, not a lot we can do about it.

BUT, i'm really glad that my faves have pretty much stopped using such 'teasing', at least from what i can see. Even if some comments were in jest/'typical korean' , i really didn't like them. i believe they just matured out of it throughout the years.

you can never know how idols are feeling internally because they have to keep appearances for business and social reasons. There’s been many times hosts acted rudely towards idols but they just had to keep their mouths shut. Wouldn’t be different between colleagues

• if they're close and its appropriate its fine. that goes regardless of gender.

• you can never know how idols are feeling internally because they have to keep appearances for business and social reasons. There’s been many times hosts acted rudely towards idols but they just had to keep their mouths shut. Wouldn’t be different between colleagues

also true, that's partly why i'm happy my faves stopped. i won't speculate, but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't like some comments either. it's a tricky topic because, in the end, we don't personally know these people.

• true but also people on the outside shouldn't be getting offended or upset for over shit between other people that like talking to each other that way. Like the example you used with your friends at work. Yes you are right there's a level of professionalism by doing it in private. But what would be the response if someone happened upon it maybe walked into a room they weren't meant to be in an witnessed it? The following outrage still wouldn't be justifiable. People need to learn to mind their own fucking business.

Not really. Work places do have Codes of Conduct, and friends giving each crap in an offensive manner can breach that if a listener takes offence (eg if I make fat jokes to my fat friend who is FINE with them, but a nearby listener, who may be overweight, is upset by them, I'm done). You can, and people do, get in trouble because a listener or third party is offended. It's why, when acting in a professional capacity (and idols, when doing something that the public will see are covered under this I think) you must always be mindful of how your words/actions might be taken by others around you.

• Okay I don't know the specific incident with Jae that you are referring to but if they are friends I don't see a problem at all. Me and my friends joke about a lot of things and call each other sl*t, bitc*, etc. It's our way of talking and neither of us have a problem with it. Honestly these idols are grown men, and just like most grown ups they're going to curse at each other. As long as both parties are okay with it it's not our job as fans to micromanage, unless one of the parties states they don't like being called something. We're fans are should know our limits.

If I say anything incorrect please correct me and I will edit my comment accordingly. I'm also very sarcastic so please don't take anything I say to heart.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!