kpop truths that people deny

• What are some kpop truths that many people don't accept or actively deny?

Here are some for me

1. Not all idols are "gorgeous". Yes, the vast majority of them are attractive, but the baseline is generally just thin and above average in terms of proportions and facial symmetry. As long as they meet that standard then makeup, styling and charisma can go a long way. Without that, plenty of idols wouldn't turn your head on the street. There's a reason that there's a "visual" position in kpop.

2. Not everyone that disagrees with you or has a negative opinion about your faves is jealous or pressed or whatever. They could just not like that song... or group... or you. It's okay. We all have different tastes.

3. Along those lines, simply having a different opinion is not bashing or shade. People are allowed to have opinions, geez.

4. You don't know your idols. It doesn't matter how much content they have or how long you have been a fan. You don't know these people. You have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, how close they are to their members, or what they're really like.

5. Your faves are not angels or innocents or babies. They're real people with unusual jobs that is highly dependent on maintaining a certain image.

6. Fans and idols have a symbiotic relationship based on capitalism. Music is art, but still, at the end of the day, we're consumers and they sell a product.

7. It's just kpop. It's really not worth so much drama.

• 5. Your faves are not angels or innocents or babies. They're real people with unusual jobs that is highly dependent on maintaining a certain image.

this is what i was going to mention. fans sometimes act as if their faves are angels that fell from heaven and graced us with their presence. their job does require maintaining a well kept image for fans, so when a scandal comes out they act surprised and betrayed.

🤍

• this is what i was going to mention. fans sometimes act as if their faves are angels that fell from heaven and graced us with their presence. their job does require maintaining a well kept image for fans, so when a scandal comes out they act surprised and betrayed.

Right? Like when they do totally normal and human things like dating and starting families. I'm sorry, fans are not their entire world. Fans are not their boy/girlfriends. Let the people have lives, dang. Be satisfied with getting such great music and performances. Isn't that enough?

• Right? Like when they do totally normal and human things like dating and starting families. I'm sorry, fans are not their entire world. Fans are not their boy/girlfriends. Let the people have lives, dang. Be satisfied with getting such great music and performances. Isn't that enough?

sometimes i rlly do wonder whether idols regret complying with fans' wants and needs. i feel bad for them tho

🤍

• 1. Taste is subjective. I don't find Kai gorgeous but I know plenty people who do to the point I understand it's just my taste and not because he is not objectively handsome.

2,3. I agree but needs to be done respectfully to be perceived that way.

4,5, I agree, I hate those x is so pure posts, same goes to people just want to assume the worst from idols. They're just people, some are shitty some aren't, some are just sometimes etc

6. This discussion has more layers than people think, everyone who works on art related professions knows that sometimes we wish we could create/design freely but most times we need to carter to clients, but it doesn't mean our passion isn't into every work.

7. Yep.

• Right? Like when they do totally normal and human things like dating and starting families. I'm sorry, fans are not their entire world. Fans are not their boy/girlfriends. Let the people have lives, dang. Be satisfied with getting such great music and performances. Isn't that enough?

this^

honest to god i don't understand how people can call themselves fans of a group and then not be happy when their idol ends up being in a happy relationship??? like that's something to be happy about! this parasocial shit goes too far sometimes i swear

• 1. Taste is subjective. I don't find Kai gorgeous but I know plenty people who do to the point I understand it's just my taste and not because he is not objectively handsome.

2,3. I agree but needs to be done respectfully to be perceived that way.

4,5, I agree, I hate those x is so pure posts, same goes to people just want to assume the worst from idols. They're just people, some are shitty some aren't, some are just sometimes etc

6. This discussion has more layers than people think, everyone who works on art related professions knows that sometimes we wish we could create/design freely but most times we need to carter to clients, but it doesn't mean our passion isn't into every work.

7. Yep.

The thing about 2,3 is that different people have different perceptions of what "respectful" is. I don't think people should be rude or excessive about their negative opinions, but there are people here who think that posters should totally pussyfoot around anything remotely negative or it's not respectful. Imo, plainly saying you don't like a song or questioning an award process isn't disrespectful. It definitely shouldn't be taken as carte blanche to attack and bully the poster that said it. I feel like I've seen more and more bullying around the forum the last few months with some posters leaving over it and usually it's over something stupid and people dogpile on them. That shouldn't happen.

• 7. It's just kpop. It's really not worth so much drama.

it's so easy to lose sight of this sometimes. for some in different ways than others.

idk i got way off topic iudhihviehoofdji i'm sorry

• the part about styling

I feel like all artists can look beautiful with the right type of styling so we should stop treating having visuals which follow korean standards as some kind of achievement

So kpop needs to drop these visual positions

Yeah, it's weird to have a designated position for it, especially since it's so subjective and most of the idols are could really play the role. I understand why they cast for it, because they are trying to create a group that has the most appeal so they want to make sure there is visual appeal if maybe their main singers/rappers don't fit the standard so well. Having a stated position is weird tho.

• Maybe it's because I'm an older fan, but it's hard to for to relate to fans falling in love with their idol or their idea of their idol. I super enjoy my faves and love their music and get a kick out of the things they do, but I don't consider that love. I mean, I want them to be happy and successful and I want them to continue making music because I really love their music and seeing them perform, but I don't know them. And while the music has given me joy and comfort and been the soundtrack to various things in my life, I guess music just isn't that deep for me. I don't have the emotional attachment to it that some seem to. I suppose that's why I don't get it when people take kpop drama so seriously.

• The thing about 2,3 is that different people have different perceptions of what "respectful" is. I don't think people should be rude or excessive about their negative opinions, but there are people here who think that posters should totally pussyfoot around anything remotely negative or it's not respectful. Imo, plainly saying you don't like a song or questioning an award process isn't disrespectful. It definitely shouldn't be taken as carte blanche to attack and bully the poster that said it. I feel like I've seen more and more bullying around the forum the last few months with some posters leaving over it and usually it's over something stupid and people dogpile on them. That shouldn't happen.

I see what you mean, I do realize some people can be very aggressive and defensive and depending on the situation it will look like others are ganging up on someone, but I also have seen so many people who play dumb when being mean and when called out they don’t own up to it and when those two people meet… that’s when disaster happens lol

Idk I do tiptoe around fans out of respect because I’d prefer the same to me so, like you said, depends on personal views.

• I see what you mean, I do realize some people can be very aggressive and defensive and depending on the situation it will look like others are ganging up on someone, but I also have seen so many people who play dumb when being mean and when called out they don’t own up to it and when those two people meet… that’s when disaster happens lol

Idk I do tiptoe around fans out of respect because I’d prefer the same to me so, like you said, depends on personal views.

True. For me, I don't mind hearing negative opinions (as long as they're not hateful or excessive). I'm not really here to fangirl over my faves. I just love talking about kpop, in general. I love hearing people's opinions and having interesting discussions. That's why most of my threads are general ones that fans of different groups can all participate in. I think only praising things and omitting anything negative is boring. I don't think people should go into the guilds or appreciation threads and crap over others' enjoyment, but I don't see anything wrong with discussing the good and the bad elsewhere. What I really don't get is people going into someone else's thread and trying to police what they say there. Like, just stay out of the thread maybe? If you don't want to read that, then don't? I think we should have room here for both appreciation and discussion. In the end, I think it's fair to have an opinion on a product that has been released to the public and that an opinion about it should not be used as justification to personally attack a fellow member of the forum. That's so gross to me.

• It is not compulsory to like every song a group puts out and one is not a fake fan for doing so.

Omg this. Can we please normalize having an honest opinion about our faves' releases and it being accepted instead of expecting the entire fanbase to move like a cult? People get so scared of being cancelled or gatekeeped out of the fandom. It's crazy. We're not going to like every single thing our faves put out.

Along those lines, let me add number 8: We are not in charge of who gets to be a fan of our faves. Just because a person does stuff you don't like, doesn't mean that you have the power to kick them out of the fandom or not recognize that they're a fan. It's not like we have membership cards or dues.

• Oh yes please!

1. K-pop companies literally do not care about problematic (esp. from a western-centric perspective) things their idols do unless the i-fans raise a HUGE stink about it.

2. Forcing yourself to like a comeback you immediately didn't like is unhealthy.

3. Photo cards and video calls are a huge reason that K-pop sales are exploding during this pandemic.

4. Some groups' streams barely grow in comparison to their sales.

5. The 4th generation overall will be overshadowed by BTS, BP, SVT, TWICE, & NCT until someone scores a major achievement internationally.

6. CJE&M survival show privilege is the biggest privilege in Kpop now, followed by Big 3+HYBE.

7. Charting in Korea is important, just look at how many stans complained about the MMA nominations and falsely thought their faves had good enough charting to be nominated for the MELON music awards.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• I wish I could give your rant a "best answer".

• sometimes i rlly do wonder whether idols regret complying with fans' wants and needs. i feel bad for them tho

This is from the person who runs the YT channel Popsori, he is a former journo who has covered kpop groups in S.Korea

//

From my experience covering the K-pop industry, half the idols love the attention from fan worship, while the other half absolutely hate it. The problem is that both the idols and labels know not to "bite that hand that feeds them’; namely, the fans that spend a ton of money on them.

So the idols put up with fans, while the labels actively encourage it to make more money and get more branding from a ton of fans.

| think the labels do manage the life of an idol as a consumable. They make sure their idols are always friendly -you should see what a lot say behind closed doors, which aren't all nice -they're always happy, and personable. The labels, in turn, make sure the idols are perfect in every way possible, while hiding as many scandals and bad upbringings the idols may have.

It's a tough situation, since this obsessed, idol worship also had a big part of making K-pop huge today. But at the same time, it's very unhealthy. | hope they dont have to do what China did with cracking down on fandoms and people realize that idol worship is bad on their own

//

• I mean, any reasonable person knows that this is the case right? Idols are regular people and their image is as much of a product as their music. While there are a ton of us that stan for the music and have a healthy view of reality, the bread and butter of kpop marketing are the fans that are overly emotionally invested enough to mass buy, stream, and do free promo for their faves. This is why most groups won't do anything to call out toxic behavior of their really obsessed stans. Enjoy the music and the performances and even the content. It's a great and enjoyable hobby. But don't make kpop your life and don't idolize these completely normal (besides their talent) people. Don't put them up on a pedestal and you won't be disappointed when they're eventually revealed to be normal folk and they fail to meet your widely unreasonable expectations.

• I mean, any reasonable person knows that this is the case right? Idols are regular people and their image is as much of a product as their music. While there are a ton of us that stan for the music and have a healthy view of reality, the bread and butter of kpop marketing are the fans that are overly emotionally invested enough to mass buy, stream, and do free promo for their faves. This is why most groups won't do anything to call out toxic behavior of their really obsessed stans. Enjoy the music and the performances and even the content. It's a great and enjoyable hobby. But don't make kpop your life and don't idolize these completely normal (besides their talent) people. Don't put them up on a pedestal and you won't be disappointed when they're eventually revealed to be normal folk and they fail to meet your widely unreasonable expectations.

Well I get a lot of flack for pointing out that the origin of the word "fan" is fanatic ..

And that kind of obsession is best for only family, faith or nation and even then can get unhealthy.

So enjoying the music, analyzing data, trends etc. Admiring their art, career should be enough.

But that's a very minority view.

• I think it's okay to be really into something. I'm really into kpop. I have friends who are really into football and spend gads on tickets or are really into disney and have huge collections of stuff or love Star Wars or whatever. If it brings you joy and you keep it in perspective and have the time/money for it etc. It's when it starts to negatively impact your life or others (like when random negativity said about your idol affects you mentally or you start to attack fellow fans or even your faves cuz they disappoint you or you're spending money you don't have to support millionaire's records) then you need to step back and examine your life.

• I disagree, BIBI did fall from heaven. Or climb up from hell. Idk. But she DID or else why do I love her? She is perfect. Anyways yes you ate.

Time to go listen to my fave bibi song again

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• well but some companies they DO market their idols as all those things we agree they might not be.

and they MARKET THEM HARD.

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• Oh yeah, they totally do. This industry is built on marketing that encourages fanatical devotion and obsessive behavior. They have zero desire to fix things for their idols because it will affect their bottom line.

:peperich::peperich::peperich::peperich:

they are the food on the table baby :pepepizza:

please don´t :pepe-toilet: on the fans image of their perfect :pepelove1: sweethearts

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• :lover3:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• This thread contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!