Why Koreans respect actors more than idols?

• acting provides them with interesting drama whatever, and the idol just tears the murder into the microphone, usually in strange clothes.

but anyway, if there were IU vs anyone, IU would win. it depends on the reputation and way of existence as idol, there is no rule.

• I think sexism could be a thing. They are valued less because of their audience of younger teenage girls.

Besides that outside their music. I think idols have to do a lot of fanservice not sit on a podcast talking about idk climate change, politics or sumn that would interest an older audience. They should be as non political as possible. Their target audience is below 20. So are most idols that debut. The rest of the grown adult world is 20+.

We've heard of actors/sportsmen turning into politicians but has any disney kid or kpop idol without transitioning into acting or another avenue jumped into politics? No it doesn't suit their image nor will they have enough followers.

Desbundar

• They do respect non-Idol Music Artists.

In Korea i don’t think it has much to do with sexism, they think Idols are perfectly polished entertainers who lack talent and are only popular because they are good looking. They see Actors/Actresses more as Artists.

• Same in Thailand. Thai BL actors are much more globally relevant & popular than Thai mainstream actors, yet the Thai GP still view them as bottom of the celebrity barrel despite the fact that they have a much more passionate/free-spending fanbase. I do think the fact that their fanbase is mainly young female does have something to do with it.

• idols aren't respected because they are manufactured to appeal to teeny boppers and fangirls to take their (or their parents) money.

• Hmm I wonder why the manufactured groups which are churned out from all these "factories", a large portion of which aren't talented and release garbage music and appeal to their audience with aegyo, and cringy shit like "I'm your boyfriend" aren't respected? :/

• This might be different, but remember the issue when Yoo Jae Suk got Daesang, and only like 15% of the actors/actress such show their respect for him when his name was announced as the winner. Meanwhile, the director that also got a daesang at the same award show got a standing ovation from all of them.
    YJS even the most respected celeb among Korean and yet he's get this kind of treatment.

I think there a celeb that tell this before that in K Entertainment there is something called hierarchy where the list of respect goes like Actor, Singer, Entertainer, Idols & Comedian, although I think entertainer can be anyone come from the other category.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!