Blackpink's Songs Are The Same: An Analysis On One Of Kpop's Biggest Myths

• Most likely one of the most stupid myths of all time in the kpop world that still lives upto today. It has become so popular that even other groups faced the wrath(cough cough BTS, Twice, and Momoland)

And yes, I am going the FeLiNa path. Behold my essays!!!!!!! She is also one of inspirations for this thread.

Now lets look at where this myth originated. It started around 2019 when Kill This Love released. Also known as #LETSHATEONALLPOPULARKPOPARTISTS era. The word overrated was thrown around like balls.

Everyone was trying to find reasons why their favs were better than other people's favs. The era of those Why I unstanned Blackpink and BTS videos from youtubers that probably never stanned them in the first place.

So what was the problem you ask??? Well to many, it seemed like KTL was a copy of D4. Why you ask? Well it's simple!

Cause it had a beatdrop in the chorus.

*Cue the dun dun duns*

Videos started coming out comparing the songs, further fueling the narrative that the two songs were the same or "sound similiar".

It further extended to their other songs such as HYLT(copy of d4 and ktl), As If It Is Your Last and Boombayah(AIIIYL is a copy of Boombayah) etc.

But, how valid are these narratives? Are all BP songs the same? I mean, you can't just say that two songs are simliar just because they both have a beat drop in chorus, that's like saying all songs with full choruses are the same! That's WRONG according to some kpop fans.

So............lets start debunking this myth and explaining why it is not true. (this is going to be long, so I am going to put in a spoiler.

So, why does this narrative exist if it is well, not true? Let's admit it, you can't use both songs have beat drop choruses as the proof they are the same cause that means all songs with full choruses sound/are the same.

Well the answer is because it is a way to hate on Blackpink and other groups. Antis use this narrative to hate on groups they don't like to give the idea that a specific group's music isn't creative enough. It is also used to hate on Teddy(I know, a little weird).

In the end, it is one of those phrases in kpop used for malicious intent by kpop fans that clearly did not do their research.

Thank you for reading my tedtalk

• :claps::claps::claps:

great job!

a similar beat doesn't mean a similar song

People always like to drag top groups on the smallest of things :mads:

• Well, they *do* have a signature, very recognisable sound. I have personally found that frustrating at times as I happen to like to be surprised a bit more by artists trying new things. That’s why I was so happy with the release of LSG actually. It felt like they were flexing in a different direction and I enjoyed that.

Many people aren’t bothered by groups tending to stick to a signature sound/style and that is also ok. I do think the ‘issue’ (which is barely an issue let’s be honest) is heightened by how bafflingly long the breaks in Between title track releases have been. It gets people chomping at the bit expecting something groundbreaking/fantastic to be dropped and then if it seems like they drop something which is rather formulaic, even if totally on brand, they can wonder ‘well, why have we even been waiting so long?’

• Anyone who thinks AIIYL is anything like Boombayah seriously needs to go for a hearing test.

It's lazy criticism. Every group has a signature sound, and that's what anti's refuse to accept in BP's case. I used to think all Twice's songs and all Itzy's songs sounded similar until I looked into them. And it's fine to feel that way, you don't owe any group your time. Maybe not so fine to announce your ignorance all over the internet though.

• Well, they *do* have a signature, very recognisable sound. I have personally found that frustrating at times as I happen to like to be surprised a bit more by artists trying new things. That’s why I was so happy with the release of LSG actually. It felt like they were flexing in a different direction and I enjoyed that.

Many people aren’t bothered by groups tending to stick to a signature sound/style and that is also ok. I do think the ‘issue’ (which is barely an issue let’s be honest) is heightened by how bafflingly long the breaks in Between title track releases have been. It gets people chomping at the bit expecting something groundbreaking/fantastic to be dropped and then if it seems like they drop something which is rather formulaic, even if totally on brand, they can wonder ‘well, why have we even been waiting so long?’

I can see your view. It seems like Blackpink likes to stick with the gc concept in tt with the beat drop in their choruses and experiment more on their bsides, hence why their bsides sound different than their tts.

It is most likely part of their signature sound as you say since Blackpink are viewed as a girl crush group than well, lets say a cute concept group. I think it might be a pattern in kpop itself(a lot of group's title tracks contribute to their musical concept).

I would say, LSG are an excpetion to that, but people are still unfortuently complaining so I don't think they will stick with that.

• it was frustrating to see all that hate, because I love their signature sound :peperain:

Praying for another song like that soon :pepe-legs:

I love the gc sound as well! I don't usually like their softer songs as much(except for lsg)

Pretty sure we will get a banger next comeback. Whenever that is.....................

#YGGIVEBPACOMEBACK

• I don’t think it’s a bad thing. They don’t need to be exactly the same. But if DDDD HYLT KTL play back to back sometimes I won’t know which song it is till the chorus lol.

It’s not a bad thing. Many acts have a signature sound. It makes them more cohesive. This doesn’t make the songs copy cats or boring. It just means they have a genre and they prefer to stick to.

I would say this is one of the reasons why they’re popular.

Take red velvet or actually SM acts in general they find it difficult to have prolonged or continuous hits because they change their sound often. Nothing wrong with that either. Some other type of fans prefer to have their groups try various styles instead of sticking to one sound. I always wished for a tiny bit that EXO would try some more of Love Shot or The Eve sounding songs to give them some international boost but SM said no take obsession. Which BTW I L O V E but I also know it’s not what kpop normies like lol.

There’s no right or wrong. Both types are okay.

Exactly how I felt after HYLT like they could've dropped that 6 months after KTL

I don't think they will stick to that type of formula with their upcoming cb single

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!