Favorite High School Drama?

• 95% of the dramas I've watched so far take place in High School. Right now it's my favorite genre.

I love everything about them. The romance plots, the school interiors and exteriors, the uniforms of the boys and girls, the hierarchy of the students. All these visual elements combined kind of makes it feel like it's own fantasy world. A magical place that exists outside the realm of every day boring life and routine jobs.

The only thing I don't like about them is there is always a group of girls that constantly bullies or talks down to our female protagonist. Korea has a well known bullying problem and I'm sure these dramas that make an impression on the youth doesn't help the situation at all. That's really my only gripe.

So what is your favorite?

I'm still trying to decide on mine. I'm almost done with "Orange Marmalade" and am thinking about starting "Dream High" next.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Depends how strict you mean when you say high school dramas.

I've probably got two.

For your quintessential "takes place literally in a high school" type high school dramas with all the facets of what you mentioned:

Probably Heirs (2013) with Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye.

a3VFYPQ5UfkcXR4AV2ZRwStDHy1u442LX5BuYKom-dcTh6yl5_S1edfAC5zhW0L8E3sG7W3O6KuybsIH39h_IxDaVo8ozFxKLRPpd40eGgNDScRKKilDFHb_Y7JB7rr5CGMZBz0yEUYKc9cGA8QHGxzcXtxB-VZrwlDA-Ney

I just love that drama. It's got everything.

An elite high school. The uniforms. The hierarchy and classes. The poor candy girl. The rich Chaebol heir. The love triangle. The snobs and helpers. The rich parents. The romance. The angst. The magic.

It's written by Kim Eun-sook. She's probably my favorite kdrama writer. And I love Lee Minho and Park Shin Hye.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

For my other it's not as strictly stereotypically high school. In that it takes place mostly during high school but the plot isn't as quite by the book.

This one is one of my all time favorites:. Delightful Girl Choon Hyang (2005).

51RY1JsWmYL._SY445_.jpg

A bad boy moves gets transferred to a new school and ends up at odds with the class beauty queen and "perfect girl". Hijinks ensue and they end up getting having to get married to save their family reputations. Then you add in a hot shot producer who sets his eyes on Choon Hyang and a hilarious and angsty rivalry takes place for Choon Hyang's heart. Will true love win? You have to watch to find out.

This one is magical. The first and most successful drama from the legendary sister writing team Hong Sisters. It's one of the seminal k-dramas of the early 2000s. It was hugely beloved. And one of my all time favs. And It made me fall in love with Han Chae Young. She's the lead girl. She's incredible.

chunhyang-pineapple-style.jpg

• I'm familiar with "The Heirs" and how big it was at the time. Seems anything Lee Min Ho touches is successful. I'll definitely get to it eventually. I bet my girl Krystal excels as the stuck up girl lol.

"Delightful Girl Choon Hyang" looks like something I would love. Anything 2000s appeals to me the most. I have a Viki account now so hopefully it's on there. I'll add both these shows to my watchlist.

High School Dramas can be hard to pin down like you said. For example I thought about listing "Princess Hours" as my favorite but even though it technically is a HS drama only about 30% of the show takes place at HS while the other 70% is at the actual Palace. "Playful Kiss" only takes place in HS fir the first six episodes. The remaining ten episodes are in college. "To the Beautiful You" is entirely in HS but it's only at a boys HS so you don't really get the full HS experience without the girls.

AND "Orange Marmalad" six episodes in HS and the other six in Joseon era. GEEZ! I guess I've never really seen a full 100% legit HS drama lol.

I guess "Dream High" could be the closest I get so far.

• I have this feeling you'll really like Delightful Girl CH.

It's straight out of 2000s k-dramas. Back when they were at their most charming in my opinion.

Before all the gloss and money and Western appeal came in. It's old school.

And so good. You'll love Han Chae Young.

It's not on Viki I think. But it's on Dramacool here.

Yes high school is a really common thing so a lot of dramas incorporate parts of it it on the show or have it as a backdrop.

Let me know when you start Dream High! I haven't seen it in forever but I remember it being fun. It was my first introduction to JYP. And made me like him. And also IU. And Suzy. And Taecyeon. And Eunjung from T-ARA. So many. It's pretty cool to see them all there.

• My Strange Hero

True Beauty

My ID is Gangnam Beauty - but this was in college i think?

Live On

And also drama which everyone sleeps on At a Distance, Spring is Green - also college

From recent one's Police University had it's moments but overall wasn't as good as I expected.

At Eighteen

Sky Castle

External Content www.youtube.com

• What's At A Distance Spring Is Green about?

It's about people from totally different world with even more different personalities meeting in campus. It also touches loneliness, struggle, sadness, lack of love etc.

For me very well done drama and cast is great.

External Content www.youtube.com

• soshilovelife

Get in on the conversation!

Favorite high school dramas, well, Playful Kiss, Boys over flowers, Mackerel run, Andante and Princess hours. I don't watch too many dramas overall so I am short on favorite dramas set there.

I bet my girl Krystal excels as the stuck up girl lol.

She is one of the good things in that drama. Lee Min Ho and Park Shin Hye are the worst.

• soshilovelife

Get in on the conversation!

I just remembered something. What do you think of Kim Ji Won? She was in The Heirs but I saw her in To the Beautiful You and absolutely loved her.

• Was she the spoilt rich girl? She was ok, I didn't hate her as much as I hated Park Shin Hye.

Yeah she was the gymnast/ballerina dubbed "The Nations Fairy".

• What's the deal with this "School" series? They just re do it every year but with a different cast?

• What's the deal with this "School" series? They just re do it every year but with a different cast?

I dont know the deal because i didnt produce them. but since i watched them they all have a different story.

2013 is about students having hard times specially if they have troublesome backround.

i didnt like it, even it have one of the best cast i could imagine for a drama. Its all about the troublemaker and how everyone helping him out and the main lead allways gets in trouble because of him too. they could have much more from it, if they developed more the story between the two main teachers, or between the main male and female student, or the stories of the other students.

2015 is about bullying. kim so hyun playing two twins so two roles with different charakter is worth to be mentioned.

2017 is about a mysterious mister x fighting the corrupt school system and how the students deal with getting a lot of stress because of high competion.

• EXTRACURRICULAR :pepelove2:

YES THAT SHIt IS MY SHIT

• I agree with you completely. This is also my favorite genre. It's hard to tear yourself away from this. I had problems in college that made it impossible for me to watch dramas. Specifically I contacted to the platform. Now I do not worry about studying, if they help me. I am very happy to have found the dun platform.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!