Disappointments, Highs, & Surprises (A Personal Assessment Of A Few Recent Girl Groups)

• Disappointments, Highs, & Surprises (A Personal Assessment Of A Few Recent Girl Groups)

Hello all.

I've haven't been around much lately. But I thought I drop in and states some of my feelings on a few groups I've been keeping an eye on.

Disappointment:

WEEEKLY

WEEEKLY has been my OG Pick. My Great Kpop Hope. The one I so want to fly into the stratosphere and become the next big thing.

With Tag Me, they captured this kind of infectious youthful energy I hadn't seen since the likes of TWICE. That stellar debut thrown out in conjunction with a plethora of dance videos that were absolute magic (see their Hello Baseball uniforms one) had me betting the house on the group that would take kpop to the moon.

But..... they've kind of languished.... in my opinion. With the exception of After School, which was a minor peak, they have yet to really follow up Tag Me with another offering of the same caliber.

It's frustrating. As on paper WEEEKLY is everything I want in a group. They have amazing members who are talented and beautiful. Positioned in a ethos that I think kpop needs right now, that youthful energy. With a company that seems ready to take them there.

But they just haven't produced the songs to back it up yet. They need songs that are more than mere filler or to pass the time. Something to really carve out their own identity.

They need hits that stand up and say "WE'RE WEEEKLY! AIN'T NOBODY LIKE US!"

I hope they can right this ship. As I already plastered my signature with their likeness as a stan just based on my original bet.

I'm still with you WEEEKLY! I just need you to deliver what I know you can!

High:

WOO!AH!

WOO!AH! is my other rookie fav. The one I thought of as secondary to WEEEKLY.

Yet they've actually become my main event.

Their charm and ability is exciting.

With a span of titles that have proven their capability and unique charm, they have skyrocketed to the forefront of my stan list. Payday may be my favorite title in the last several years. It's literally girl group magic.

Despite not exactly being in love with their latest title choice of Purple, they made up for it with their secondary offering of Pandora and the wide array of covers and solo efforts the girls have put out.

See Sora's cover is an absolute win.

This group keeps me engaged and excited and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Surprise:

STAYC

This was the group I originally kind of wrote off. Didn't think much of them after their debut song seemed like another forgettable offering of 4th gen.

But then slowly but surely little things from them would pop up in my Youtube feed.

Their ASAP single was a pretty good song and that sort of broke my spell of indifference.

Then I listened to Like This, and Sieun just took me by storm with her voice.

Add in their amazing cover of Doja Cat and it just demanded that I not be indifferent any longer.

I'm officially excited to see where kpop takes this group and I can't wait to see more!

What do you think? What are your disappointments, highs and surprises?

• finally someone here expressed honest feelings in a good way

it was nice to read!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• High (and surprise): woo!ah!

Same as you, to me woo!ah! is the hidden gem of the rookie groups. I could also label them as a surprise since I wasn't fond of their debut single. But when they had their first comeback with Bad Girl, they unexpectedly blew me away.

High (and slight disappointment): LunarSolar

E.Seo has one of the most unique voice of her generation but LunarSolar's songs fail to highlight it. I was hopeful their first comeback would do so, but it didn't. It kept the style of their debut song but didn't really offer anything more or different. It's not too late though so hopefully it'll come sooner than later.

Expectations: Hot Issue; Purple Kiss

I really liked both groups' debut EPs so hopefully they'll keep growing with their next releases.

Surprise: PIXY; Bling Bling

PIXY's debut single was meh. But their following EP was great.

Bling Bling's debut last year went unnoticed for understandable reasons but their first comeback was a lot of fun (despite a very poor choreo). Plus, Jieun is one the best vocalists of her generation imo.

Convincing debut: TRI.BE

They did great so far but I wonder how much more they gonna be able to do within their particular style of Latin pop. They might have to reinvent their sound at some point. For the moment they're doing very well, especially when you consider how young they are.

Okay: Weekly; StayC

I like some of their stuff but I'm not enthralled. I still miss the one thing that gonna make passionate about them.

Disappointment: aespa

Not that I loved Black Mamba but I expected more of their first comeback. Next Level can chart for months, I still think this song doesn't make a lot of sense. What is particularly disappointing to me is the fact that each part sounds really cool when taken individually but as a whole it's a mess. Hopefully SM will be a little less "experimental" with their next release.

• Isnt Lightsum more of a girlcrush concept girl group?

with a song like this??? lol

you're thinking of another group right?

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• with a song like this??? lol

you're thinking of another group right?

No, I am fairly certain just from the tones alone. I might have to give it another listen.

Maybe you are right but it is definitely not your traditional cute concept ggs

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Sora is from Woo ah, both of them are Japanese and fans of Twice. I feel bad for mixing their name up

:confused::confused::confused:

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Sora is from Woo ah, both of them are Japanese and fans of Twice. I feel bad for mixing their name up

:confused::confused::confused:

it's interesting since lots of japanese members of GG choose Twice as their fav or Twice as the one who made them want to be idols...

• I missed LUNARSOLAR? Got a rec from them?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!