Question For Second Gen Fans

• Why is SNSD considered the top girl group of second gen when the last year they had a song get into the top 10 for the Gaon Year-end digital chart was 2010. In 2010 for reference Miss A had the top charting song.

Groups like 2NE1 and Sistar ended up on the end of year chart for multiple year afterwards.

Is the physical sales the only thing that really makes them much more popular in some peoples eyes?

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by Yseki ().

• It’s the overall impact of them not only as a group but each of them was heavily involved in various promotions and variety shows. I’m not sure if that’s a good answer but idk how else to put it other then they are the standard for GG moving forward

• It’s the overall impact of them not only as a group but each of them was heavily involved in various promotions and variety shows. I’m not sure if that’s a good answer but idk how else to put it other then they are the standard for GG moving forward

Makes sense. The members were all successful and in tons of different ways. Where as groups like Miss A, and 4Minute heavily favored one member.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Wasn't the last time in 2013 with IGAB (I think #10?).

Getting top 10 consistently is very hard, I think only Sistar and Big Bang managed to to dot multiple times with multiple songs for 2g. Even from 3g not even the likes of Twice, BP or RV have managed to that level. BTS isof course doing it but has only done so consistently for last 2.5 years. Expecting a group to do it all the time is asking a lot tbh.

Besides SNSD wasn't just about digital. Their impact was MUCH more widespread. They were the outright best album sellers, they were the biggest touring gg up there with bgs, they were the most popular group worldwide/hallyu leaders, they were constantly on TV often setting TV ratings records, they endorsed a shit ton of products from the high tech to home furniture, are the blueprint and influnec for a ton of ggs and son. Even after SNSD hiatus the members individually are continually among the most popular and busy idols around. Taeyeon tops charts, actress line have hit dramas and movies, some are TV stars, some are models and so on.

SNSD is more than just a music group (which they're still very successful at), their impact and influence was literally at the national level. They were dubbed cultural icons for a reason.

• I'm not a numbers guy. So I can't really speak to their charts beyond that they are certainly top tier in terms of success in those areas. Someone else will have to detail the numbers argument.

But I can speak to their placement in a more general sense.

SNSD is remembered as the top girl group of 2nd gen, not just because of their raw numbers or charts but because of their place in shaping the generation, their relationship and cultural relevance with Korea as a nation and their overall impact on kpop.

They initiated a resurgence of kpop girl groups and the rise of 2nd gen girl groups as players. They achieved financial and popular success to rival contemporary boy groups, raising the consideration of girl groups to prestige that was not seen prior. They released multiple National Hits like Gee that defined an era, with Into the New World achieving a cultural affection such that they became part of political movements and domestic causes. As a group, the members came to be loved by a public to a degree that transcended mere "youth celebrity". The nation came to adore them to an extent unheard of, such that they became crowned "Nation's Girl Group" a title indicating a specific type of widespread endearment by not only the target youth market, but the broader populace at large. With this affection, they became staples of variety and other Korean TV shows which further endeared them to the public. They garnered countless awards and recognition and attained a status unlike any other girl group of that era.

It is this all encompassing elevation of the girl group as a concept and their unique cultural relevance and affection from Korea, along with their strict numerical success that crowns them the No. 1 girl group of second generation, and arguably, the most consequential girl group in kpop history.

Edited once, last by emanresu ().

• IGAB was #13 in 2013. Thanks for explaining the rest makes more sense.

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!