Do you think kpop fans are still looking for "western validation"

• Do you think kpop fans still looking for western validation? 17

1. Yes (10) 59%
    2. No (7) 41%

(This is my opinion, it's not targeted toward any fandom or group)

I've been into kpop for soo long I remember when mtv europe music awards added korean act category every kpop fans were excited for their fave to be nominated but winning didn't mean validation at that time but it's slowly changed when kpop fans became obsessed with seeking validation it's as if their fave is nominated for a category with other artists they either win or fans will call out the award show because they're racists or xenophobia that's usually their most used argument. Few years ago I thought kpop fans will stop seeking western validation but I still see fans obsession with it.

Now imo seeking validation is insecurity, fans feel like their fave must win this to prove something (what exactly?).

I saw a lot of people argue with "why when idols released a japanese album in japanese you don't call it japanese validation" and here is the answer

You know why when a kpop group release and promote in Japan people don't call it "looking for Japanese validation" Because fans don't care , they're not looking for validation, they focus on their fave , don't shove their faves music on everyone face . When their fave doesn't appear on music show they don't complain and say "oh because they're racist" they have different way of complaining. Ranks, charts and competitions is not their first priority ,there is huge difference between Japanese kpop fans and western kpop fans.

idk if the fans who argue with this are young or new kpop fan but Kpop never needed Japanese validation and in my opinion using this argument mean you don't know a lot about kpop

kpop fans are toxic , japanese kpop fans are not

• This whole "western validation" shouldn't be placed on kpop fans table, companies are promoting kpop groups and sometimes directing their groups to a more ww market since forever. And i wouldn't call it "bla bla validation", it's just a strategy expanding to a more opportunities of growth.

• I personally don’t agree kpop stans are more invested in Korea validation

Fans will use Korean comments to shit on others groups as if they aren’t normal people how many times antis threw down to our throats with twice encore comments ??

Or they will switch their opinions as soon a song hit the top 10 next level release was a mess now people are calling soty

I saw someone saying I don’t take Korean awards seriously just because their fav can’t win a daesang okay but still lurking to the winners every single time

• the USA has the biggest music market in the world, of course all companies would love for their groups to be big there and get ''clout'' or ''validation'' there, and some kpop companies have been trying it since what, 2008?

• Very well said. Whenever someone talks about Western validation for releasing western songs; fans are like kpop groups release Japanese songs too so what's the difference. But fans don't care about Japanese song charting in Japan. And most importantly; kpop groups do not perform their Japanese songs outside of Japan. it's for Jfans only. But English songs are performed for global fans. So yeah Western release doesn't mean same as Japanese release at all for a kpop group.

• I think it's some fans.

Not all fans as a whole.

But there are people who want their faves to win the US market over.

But is that a bad thing?

I, personally, don't think it is wrong to want your faves to succeed and be acknowledged. :pepe-toast:

• It's cool but it isnt needed. Remember when Wondergirls had a movie in america? and that song with Akon? remember how that went. It was a dark time. :pepe-sad:

• As a Korean. This is a purely western problem. We don't sit here and be like boy i wish Justin Bieber took over the asian market oh boy how come Beyonce hasn't outsold bts etc lol that 🤡🤡🤡 shit doesn't happen here. Most people here in Korea don't fucking care about that validation bs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!