Do you think now that it wasn't Source fault that GFriend disbanded?

• After Viviz (SinB, Eunha, Umji) unit announcement we kind of get things clear here. (in different agency)

Sowon and Yerin wanted to pursue acting careers. Yuju probably wanted to mix group activities with solo debut.

When GFriend disbanded I've already said that if 2-3 members didn't want to continue as full time Idols there wasn't any financial sense of Source to renew group contract, there also wasn't sense to continue with just 4 members. Because with renewal Source Music would need to give girls better deal, so more money for members, less for agency but...

if we think that GFriend sales were already going down, and without 2 members many Buddies will leave and don't buy albums anymore then GFriend wouldn't be a 'source' of income for Source Music. I would even say that with growing MV production costs Source would need to go even more in debt to be able to promote group well...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't really care about this tbh, but it does make sense. Other than that, probably all of them left so nobody blame the members that didn't want to pursue an idols life anymore.

You know, kpop fans is weird and can easily cancelling an idols even their own fav. Btw, I learn this by my own experience on how bad fans treated the members that choose to left their group.

• I think that they might have had a sudden fall out with each other (maybe someone wasn’t that clear about the future and honest) and that’s why the disbanding was so rushed and maybe there was also structural change in Source/Hybe that made it worse. Plus, I think that they wanted to renew as a group until the last minute when something happened because they had content planned

• no i still think that it's because of Source music

because if 3 members were ready to pursue music why they didn't stay in Source music and continue their activities as Gfriend member ?

Source music just wanted to get rid off the girls

and some of the girls used this opportunities to pursue other careers

and the other girls who wanted to stay together had to search for a new agency ready to sign them as a 3 member GG

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• Its clear since the disbandment was so sudden, it was a financial crises as they were planning numerous things for them, I think it just simply that they couldn't pay them right anymore

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• Wasn't the members didn't know about the disbandment until it was on the news? Even if the reasoning makes sense, source music still didn't disband gfriend properly.

Right. People want a black or white reason so much, maybe it wasn't all sources fault but that isn't a great way to announce a disbandment.

I obviously won't "side" with Hybe/Source as I won't side with a company, that's a sure thing and at the same time some of the sabotage theories felt like a lot (although I get it for buddies because they are the one who went through that and I'm sorry for them)

• Really? Financial reasons I can get but couldn't pay them?!

I don't know how to phrase it, but artists have to get a certain share, but with the merge and other spending and stuff they may no longer can get them the right pay without Source going broke, so they decided to disband them against the company going into more debts

I believe that because it was so rushed that they didn't discuss with the girls

♢ BTS ♢ RED VELVET ♢ STAYC ♢ ITZY ♢ I'VE ♢ 

bf8564d98af24361d0590896c941048f9c781516.gifv 113c3e0e8e47532a0f6e02950f2765764a166a8c.gifv ea538e39aff2514e678056be42c87abdbaefb377.gifv

• The bottom line for me is clearly a lot has shown Gfriend didn't actually want to fully disband and clearly all are still interested in pursuing their idol careers, it kind of blindsided them and it was pretty obvious the members didn't think they were about to come to an end.

But from what I've seen Source wasn't making any money and the group wasn't really sustainable under a parent company like HYBE. Remember in 2020 Sumo made a loss over 2m. Really the choice for HYBE was either drip feed Source money to keep a non profitable situation going for appeasement of the group and fans or disband them and wind Sumo down.

Afaik Source Music have no active groups right? And their trainees will likely debut under the HYBE banner in the future.

The ex-owner and most of the staff which dealt with GFriend are gone.

It has become a Hybe sub label, to house people like Miyawaki Sakura for the time being until they debut, but I think its name will change since the name Source is too much associated with GFriend.

HYBE Labels makes an official statement regarding Miyawaki Sakura joining Source Music‘s new girl group
    In response to intense speculation regarding former IZ*ONE member Miyawaki Sakura joining Source Music's new girl group, a HYBE representative simply...
    www.pinkvilla.com

• Wow they dumped them out quick. It seemed pretty obvious from the start with how small a label Sumo was that HYBE wanted to acquire them for reason other than their active group.

It makes sense, apparently they have a stable of promising girl trainees and given BigHit at the time were looking to debut a couple of new GG's it seems true they wanted to buy Sources trainees.

That is true. Its sole male trainee of note, Kim Hyunbin, moved to WM (now part of RBW) but the female trainees were acquired by Hybe

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!