Is there really a benefit of having foreign members in kpop groups? Business wise.

• it helps. but it also depends which country the idol is from. i live in Australia and to be honest i'm not sure rosé is even the most popular member here.

• I think that has more to do with Lisa being awesome than Lisa being Thai.

that makes no sense lol how is Lisa being Thai going to help them in the west

there are other groups with Thai members (Got7, NCT, (G)-idle) who are nowhere near as big as BP internationally or even in SEA

tbh its because everyone is head over heels for her talents.

well, other thai idols are talented too; but people especially liked blackpink's music and style and lisa being thai made people even love them more in SEA. if there was an idol from your nationality or region, you would hype, support and cherish her, which would make her even more successful. hell, i'm not a blink but here i am crediting lisa for blackpink's international success lmao

also, i didn't say lisa helped with western success but INTERNATIONAL success. people love her in china, sea, japan etc. that's a BIG part of the world, the world unfortunately doesn't revolve around europe and usa. however, blackpink is big in the west too and you can't discredit sea fans when you're talking about kpop's western success. they carried over hallyu to the west because again, they're a big part of the world and blackpink (with the help of lisa) revived hallyu; resulting in western success of bp

ad11ae11545c4b3eb5805a7ca39e8142ff38948a.gifvab99d7e017ed0eea8ec207a6947f397b83c72db7.gifv57fd3a357756b7d61797af68f7a3247c55a15e4b.gifvb8a3784d7d06f39831a2371942429ffec7c00416.gifvcc43450dc4b9751b6bbff4f0e97fb2f3feb6cf5c.gifv

𝘆𝘂𝗾𝗶 ♡ 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗼 ♡ 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝗷𝗶𝗻

• well, other thai idols are talented too; but people especially liked blackpink's music and style and lisa being thai made people even love them more in SEA. if there was an idol from your nationality or region, you would hype, support and cherish her, which would make her even more successful. hell, i'm not a blink but here i am crediting lisa for blackpink's international success lmao

also, i didn't say lisa helped with western success but INTERNATIONAL success. people love her in china, sea, japan etc. that's a BIG part of the world, the world unfortunately doesn't revolve around europe and usa. however, blackpink is big in the west too and you can't discredit sea fans when you're talking about kpop's western success. they carried over hallyu to the west because again, they're a big part of the world and blackpink (with the help of lisa) revived hallyu; resulting in western success of bp

im just saying it has to do more with her talents tbh. im not saying your opinion is wrong :)

• im just saying it has to do more with her talents tbh. im not saying your opinion is wrong :)

of course, but i'd say rose is as talented and charismatic as her, but is she as huge as lisa in asia? no, that's why having foreign members is important

ad11ae11545c4b3eb5805a7ca39e8142ff38948a.gifvab99d7e017ed0eea8ec207a6947f397b83c72db7.gifv57fd3a357756b7d61797af68f7a3247c55a15e4b.gifvb8a3784d7d06f39831a2371942429ffec7c00416.gifvcc43450dc4b9751b6bbff4f0e97fb2f3feb6cf5c.gifv

𝘆𝘂𝗾𝗶 ♡ 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗼 ♡ 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘆𝗼𝘂, 𝘀𝗼𝗼𝗷𝗶𝗻

• of course, but i'd say rose is as talented and charismatic as her, but is she as huge as lisa in asia? no, that's why having foreign members is important

yes i agree but im saying when it comes to lisa, her huge international popularity is mostly due to her talents.

an example being my friend who only knows lisa and follows her because of her dancing skills, she doesnt know any other member, only lisa from her viral dance vids. anyways i get where your coming from :pepe-life-support:

• that word “easily” changes everything.

BP for example having no Chinese members didnt had it easy to get big in China. Its bec primarily of Lisa. She clicked there, just like everywhere in the world. Its not like Lisa is big just in china.

Unlike having chinese members, you’re guaranteed to have an immediate fans there. That is EASY.

• I think it's more beneficial for groups from smaller companies, I know in tbz case they gained a lot of their international fans because of the English speaking line, particularly Kevin being woke af and constantly going viral on stan twitter

• I think it’s less about having foreign members than fluently speaking other languages. This seems to help quite a bit with bookings and PR in targeting other countries. This isn’t knowing a little bit - this is having at least one member who is extremely fluent in the market you’re trying to target. Bonus points if the member is fun and engaging.

Certainly in the US, if you look at groups who have charted or got attention, they typically have at least one member who can do the talk show/internet vids in language (ie in English).

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• For countries like Thailand, not really. Thais are used to Thai idols and aren't going to just stan a group because there's a Thai member. Many Thais happily stan groups with no Thai members and idols like Ten, Minnie, Sorn, etc. aren't always the most popular members in the group amongst Thai fans.

However, for countries that are crazy for K-Pop but don't have much representation, such as Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, I can tell you that having a foreign member from one of those country will make them massive in that market. You can look at Secret Number, which is essentially carried by the Indonesian fanbase.

• well, other thai idols are talented too; but people especially liked blackpink's music and style and lisa being thai made people even love them more in SEA. if there was an idol from your nationality or region, you would hype, support and cherish her, which would make her even more successful. hell, i'm not a blink but here i am crediting lisa for blackpink's international success lmao

I agree with you in saying that Lisa is a factor in BP's international success, but I don't think it has anything to do with her being Thai.

The thing with SEA is that there's no pan-Southeast Asianism. Like each SEA country is VERY different from one another, culturally, ethnically, linguistically. Having an idol being from Thailand MIGHT help them be more popular in Thailand, but it won't help them be more popular in Vietnam, Philippines or Indonesia. Non-Thai SEAsians aren't going to support a Thai idol just because they're Thai.

It's like saying Japan market is more likely to support Chinese idols because they're both from East Asian region - a logical fallacy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!