Are English speaker lyricists needed in kpop?

• "Then in Ice Cream, oh she wanna write about rocking jeans, billie jean would be good??? Billie jean is a person who claimed Michael Jackson fathered her child. Like the double meaning input is just so... surface value. It is there so it rhymed and looked cool."

Actually the verse is a continuation from the word slurpee.. Snow cone chilly get it free like willy.. pardon the french ima be a little bit vulgar. it basically means u can get the vagina for free like freewilly(the movie), then transitioning from the word willy(now referred to as a penis) which is inside your jeans like billy(billyjean reference) you be poppin like a wheelie(penis inside ur pants going up a like a bike doing a wheelie).. word connect, fun stuff.

Is it tasteful? questionable, but is rap supposed to be tasteful? I think rap is whatever the lyricist wants it to be as long as it makes sense. It can be corny, it can be cringy, violent, sad etc.. fck it doesn't even have to rhyme. I suggest watching this rapper called Ez Mil. Check out his song called IDK.. it is a perfect song to showcase what a double, triple, fuck it quadruple entendre is.

I'm sorry if I derailed the thread, it just irks me when people bash a line without even getting the meaning.

• That meaning I understood and would probably be like okay. BUT that is fan's explanation.... Bekuh Boom herself explained in a Genius interview that the Moses thing is simply "if you can't part the sea you can't party with me". So its questionable whether she herself understood what she wrote.

LOL.. She lied that nice lady knew exactly what she was writing about. The whole song is a sexual reference don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

• Billie Jean never got the penis though, that was the meaning behind Billie Jean song by Michael Jackson. So that alone is already derailed from the whole stanza itself. The free willy movie is a movie about freeing an animal, not about getting something for free. "Freeing something" itself can have a whole lot of connotation that can continue to the whole song but Bekuh Boom chose to take "free" on a shallow level. It's all very surface value.

I am not bashing without context alright. I know exactly what was referenced and the fact that those were taken so carelessly by Bekuh Boom is what irks me. Tasteful or not, don't make it that shallow.

• You guys clearly never listen to #ALL4MYSELF by lil cherry , that song lyrics are physically painful

(fyi I'm not a lil cherry fan I just like the song and beat)

(And if you decide to listen to the song , I'm so sorry)

Like for real what is this like …. I don't know what to say like bruh

For Example

I rolled a thick ass blunt #ALL4MYSELF

I got a thick rubber band #ALL4MYSELF

I got a thick booty girl #ALL4MYSELF

Oo talking sauce like who that boss? I think for myself

like bruh that the chorus/Hook and that not even the worst lyrics in the song lmao

:pepe-sad:

"Out of all the languages he could've spoken, He chose to speak facts"

• Again you are not getting the meaning. I get that you are trying to translate the verse and it's not making sense to you. That is the whole point of an entendre.. to mask the meaning. You're almost there but not quite... she's not talking about the movie free willy, she's doing a word play of getting it free like willy to the movie free willy. I'll give you one line... "I be waxing off her p*ssy, mr miyagi"

• lol ok u got me there.. is that recent?

• LOL.. She lied that nice lady knew exactly what she was writing about. The whole song is a sexual reference don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

It is what it is but other writers wasn't exactly doing explanation in interviews like she does. Yet the explanation really shows how she integrate her references so carelessly.

Mona Lisa is a work of art that she said is a compliment to Lisa. Mona Lisa was only referenced probably because its a famous painting. Fair enough honestly. But compare that to Lil Wayne & Kendrick Lamar's work of their song Mona Lisa, which goes in depth to how the artwork was made by Da Vinci, painted with mystery, stories of somehow the owners of Mona Lisa managed to manipulate the most famous painting in the world through the media manipulations, and that is the reason they named the manipulator woman in their lives as Mona Lisa. You see those depth of input by just one name?

Bekuh Boom is writing for one of the biggest artist in the world right now and settling for "fair enough" is not enough anymore. I even think she should stick with songs like Money which is straight to the point, cringey and just narcissistic but there are no careless references.

• Again you are not getting the meaning. I get that you are trying to translate the verse and it's not making sense to you. That is the whole point of an entendre.. to mask the meaning. You're almost there but not quite... she's not talking about the movie free willy, she's doing a word play of getting it free like willy to the movie free willy. I'll give you one line... "I be waxing off her p*ssy, mr miyagi"

I get the meaning alright. I am saying what she is referencing are very shallow. This is what you don't get.

Song is about getting penis but references a song that doesn't get the penis. Like what is that? And word play? -Free Willy- as in those exact words makes more sense in the song talking about sexual innuendoes rather that "get it free like willy". Because willy, either a wiener or the whale in the movie doesn't get it free, willy actually needs to freed. This is why I kept saying things are very shallow on her side. It seems that she only takes it on the surface level instead of actually, write it more thoroughly.

Even the "I be waxing off her pussy, mr miyagi" is a better word play, because it both meant off, instead of one meaning on and the other meaning off. Unlike the Billie Jean reference.

An entendre is not an excuse for shallow referencing.

• She was not careless. She was straight to the point.. there is no deep meaning in the verse mona lisa kinda lisa. It's just straight up wordplay to lisa's name being compared to the most beautiful woman in the world aka mona lisa. Bekkuh's word play is not deep. It's actually basic as basic gets. It works for kpop rap and poprap. It's when people start comparing it to the likes of kendrick, tyler, common that it becomes an issue. But then it makes me think, if people can't even get a simple word play like flintsone and jewelry, can they truly say then can understand what kendrick is talking about or are they just vibing to the song coz it's kendrick?

• You're still going at it wrong though.. It's like bekkuh is telling u to look at the window then flash u her titties, then here u are touching the windows looking all around the nooks and crannies looking for drugs n shit. I bet you if lisa did this rap you'd call it cringy..

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think I can agree with that. And also based on what you said, it sounds like writers need to be doing more research in general when writing (at least if you are Bekuh Boom anyways...).

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• She was not careless. She was straight to the point.. there is no deep meaning in the verse mona lisa kinda lisa. It's just straight up wordplay to lisa's name being compared to the most beautiful woman in the world aka mona lisa. Bekkuh's word play is not deep. It's actually basic as basic gets. It works for kpop rap and poprap. It's when people start comparing it to the likes of kendrick, tyler, common that it becomes an issue. But then it makes me think, if people can't even get a simple word play like flintsone and jewelry, can they truly say then can understand what kendrick is talking about or are they just vibing to the song coz it's kendrick?

You do realise doing lyrics in double entendre and doing lyrics straight to the point is already not the same thing, it is both two very different ways of doing lyrics. So which are you referring? Plus I already said when Bekuh Boom actually does do it straight to the point, like she did with Money, she's better at that. But double entendre, not so much.

For one, this is to you, Mona Lisa is not even the most beautiful woman in the world, she was someone's wife, no one ever said she's a beauty but rather a mystery. Please really google the piece and what it was before you say things. And two, also to you, google Bekuh's interview. Now I feel like you are the one who don't even know who you are defending as you keep getting even her interview wrong.

There is no deep meaning to Mona Lisa huh? Well not according to Bekuh.

“When I wrote that [Mona Lisa] line I loved it and really hoped Lisa would too and I’m so glad she did. I think it speaks specifically to her originality and uniqueness..”

Not my words, hers. This is where I realise Bekuh is very careless in references. Mona Lisa is never regarded as original or unique. Mona Lisa is always seen as a mysterious piece, the lady with something to hide. So whatever shit is going on with originality and uniqueness, that's a bluff

I compared it to Kendrick because he and even the always slurring Lil Wayne was able to explain their creation thoroughly. Surprisingly even Lil Wayne explained his "Mona Lisa" much clearer than Bekuh Boom can of a simple song like Ice Cream. I don't like the Mona Lisa song by them, its not my style, but they were able to thoroughly link the entendres, link the lyrics, link the stories, they presented well.

Bekuh tried, to me she failed. If she didn't fail to you, then well, okay suits you. But don't come here and act like I've been typing here without context or like I didn't understand the meaning. I do, and all I'm saying, with such meaning they are trying to present, the references were a careless input.

• They're not needed and some are straight out bade or cringey, but there are other English lines which are iconic so it depends on the case in my opinion.

Even 'shawty imma party till the sun down' became iconic.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• Even 'shawty imma party till the sun down' became iconic.

Iconic or a meme? Lol. Love Me Right was produced by Jam Factory, the company that sources songwriters from the United States, the country who speaks predominantly English. The same English speaking producers who seem to not understand the meaning of the sentence "party till the sun down".

:boredr:

It really goes to say that English speakers doesn't mean they can do a better job in English itself.

• The main problem is writing lyrics in a second language (or in this case singing since nobody cares about who wrote them).

If you read lyrics of English songs, you will see a lot of broken, weird or empty sentences. But nobody bats an eye because it's artistic license.

But as soon as it's a non English song it will be associated to gibberish and therefore cringe. I think it's because the English lyrics seem out of place when the song is in another language.

• The main problem is writing lyrics in a second language (or in this case singing since nobody cares about who wrote them).

If you read lyrics of English songs, you will see a lot of broken, weird or empty sentences. But nobody bats an eye because it's artistic license.

But as soon as it's a non English song it will be associated to gibberish and therefore cringe. I think it's because the English lyrics seem out of place when the song is in another language.

If you read what I wrote as the OP, I am batting my eye on those who have English as their first language, who writes for a full English song, who has artistic licence as the writer yet still managed to fail a punchline.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!