Are English speaker lyricists needed in kpop?

• If you are Bekuh Boom then no.

Just because one can speak English doesn’t mean whatever English they are writing is great.

Yes I have problems with Bekuh Boom’s writing. The fact that she wrote about Moses and linked it to “party with me”… Umm religion aside, google Moses and you’ll know that Moses was trying to flee the “party” when he parted the red sea. Or is the recent “rocks on my wrist so I call them Flintstones”. Flintstones was about 2 hillbilly families sitcom that is further from jewelery. It makes sense on a rhyming level but those were supposedly punch line. Well it didn’t punch alright. It just make me ????

For me, sure in general its getting better in kpop but the more English a kpop idol use the more I want the lyrics to not just rhyme but is also poetic. Eminem didn’t just put “mom’s spaghetti” to rhyme you know. Or Frank Ocean’s “Its hell on earth and the city’s on fire inhale in hell there is heaven” beauty is not just so it fits. Like if you really wanna write in a Universal Language that majority fans understand, at least make it beautiful.

• Double entendre... it's quite common in rap. I read a comment saying "what does bread have to do with money?" It was at that moment that I knew... And here we are again. I think someone should really do a breakdown when we get these english lyrics. People are quick to say cringe when in fact they didn't get the slang or the meaning of the bar. I mean this is not even a deep bar, it's so basic and people still didn't get it.

Rocks, stones are a common slang for diamonds or jewelry.. Flinstones is a cartoon based in the stone age. You probably didn't notice when lisa said bambambam, but bambam is a character in the flinstones... Also if you're going to qoute a bar do it correcty. The verse goes "You're the one been chosen, play the part like Moses." Moses being the chosen one, and part because Moses parted the sea... le sigh**...

• Double entendre... it's quite common in rap. I read a comment saying "what does bread have to do with money?" It was at that moment that I knew... And here we are again. I think someone should really do a breakdown when we get these english lyrics. People are quick to say cringe when in fact they didn't get the slang or the meaning of the bar. I mean this is not even a deep bar, it's so basic and people still didn't get it.

Rocks, stones are a common slang for diamonds or jewelry.. Flinstones is a cartoon based in the stone age. You probably didn't notice when lisa said bambambam, but bambam is a character in the flinstones... Also if you're going to qoute a bar do it correcty. The verse goes "You're the one been chosen, play the part like Moses." Moses being the chosen one, and part because Moses parted the sea... le sigh**...

i got the bar but her lyrics are still cringe.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• If you are Bekuh Boom then no.

Agree!!

And while we are talking about cringy English lyrics, please send that memo to NCT’s writers too. Especially the rap parts ;(

*we all know double entendre but there are tasteful ways and there are cringy ways. Cringy is when the writer tried so hard so sound edgy/using slangs they think hip hop acts should use or creative (Moses etc)

**this comment is just for the lyricist and not the idols or groups

• I think yes, but cringe English lyrics are accepted in KPOP. However, if you want to make a full English song it is better to have one but it also depend on what kind of message in the song you want to deliver

I get all that but like I said, don't just do it to make things rhyme. And so.... shallow. Like Bekuh Boom - Flintstones have Bambam so Bambambam then and well its stones, lets make it rhyme with jewellery stone, oh flintstones- ??? That's a really shallow way to write a double entendre.

Then in Ice Cream, oh she wanna write about rocking jeans, billie jean would be good??? Billie jean is a person who claimed Michael Jackson fathered her child. Like the double meaning input is just so... surface value. It is there so it rhymed and looked cool.

I even already put up actual double entendre written by Eminem (someone Bekuh Boom said she admired) and Frank Ocean that works not just for the two lines but for the whole song lyrics. Those are good double entendre because it makes up the whole lyrics. Bekuh Boom's writing is obvious that she only makes it up for the two lines.

Or she can even just drop the words without intending to get any meaning, no double entendre, just an empty word. Like Chris Martin writing Yellow. That works too. What doesn't work is that you trying to put meaning when you don't even understand pass the surface level.

• I really don't get the cringy part.. Is it because the lyricist said Moses? The lyricist was doing a double entendre abt spreading your legs and keeping your vajeen fresh like roses. I think she did ok masking the sexual reference of the verse. Or is the fact that they're talking about vagina makes it cringy?

• I really don't get the cringy part.. Is it because the lyricist said Moses? The lyricist was doing a double entendre abt spreading your legs and keeping your vajeen fresh like roses. I think she did ok masking the sexual reference of the verse. Or is the fact that they're talking about vagina makes it cringy?

That meaning I understood and would probably be like okay. BUT that is fan's explanation.... Bekuh Boom herself explained in a Genius interview that the Moses thing is simply "if you can't part the sea you can't party with me". So its questionable whether she herself understood what she wrote.

Talking about vagina or dicks in a double entendre or not (hello WAP, hey that is your name) is never not cringy lol

I see what you did there

• NCT writers are also English speakers right. Shows that just because you understand the language doesn't mean you can write good lyrics with the language.

People need to understand that double entendre is not an excuse for bad lyrics.

• You guys clearly never listen to #ALL4MYSELF by lil cherry , that song lyrics are physically painful

(fyi I'm not a lil cherry fan I just like the song and beat)

(And if you decide to listen to the song , I'm so sorry)

"Out of all the languages he could've spoken, He chose to speak facts"

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!